advertisement

Rejoin the EU?

We are out now but I think it is worth reiterating that our net contribution to the EU was around £10billion. Our annual spending is almost £900billion. Are you really suggesting that the other 7 net contributors to the EU can’t easily make up the difference? 34p per day per person is what being a member of the EU cost us.
And what is the total net contribution for all countries?

Bring it on yes! Rejoin as soon as possible no matter what the cost and terms are. Those are the price we will have to pay for the stupidity of little Englanders.
Meanwhile those Eastern European members that now have far right govs must be expelled.

What about a referendum for Lil'exit, the independence of Little England? After independence exile Farage and the ERGies to the Falklands.

It is! It is actually zero. There are net contributors and net recipients of all membership fees.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48256318

Each Government pays 75% of collected tariffs from selected goods entering the Custom’s Union through their country.
I mean what is the total net contribution of the net contributors. When we agree on that number we can discuss whether the UK's net contribution is a drop in the ocean or not, can't we?

I mean what is the total net contribution of the net contributors. When we agree on that number we can discuss whether the UK's net contribution is a drop in the ocean or not, can't we?

RJD1X31.png

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48256318

Good thank you, so UK figure whatever it is, is shitloads. Maybe 20%. However you try to package it, 20% defecit in the net contribution is going to be hard to plug.

The UK will pay for existing commitments.
Future expenses will require some tightening of the belt.

Good thank you, so UK figure whatever it is, is shitloads. Maybe 20%. However you try to package it, 20% defecit in the net contribution is going to be hard to plug.

It's about 0.15% of GDP extra for contributors and 0.15% of GDP less for recipients. Yes, it is a big figure but in global economic terms it's tiny.

About 8bn it seems, but there’s an adjustment period as the UK still has to pay contributions for a contracted period, and the growth in internal and external trade will cover much of the gap (it has done already according to recent trade reports).

In terms of the size of the E.U. economy it’s button money. Boris could spaff that away on a couple of shit projects in a year.

It's about 0.15% of GDP extra for contributors and 0.15% of GDP less for recipients. Yes, it is a big figure but in global ecomonic terms it's tiny.
But we are not talking global economy terms, we are talking EU budget terms. You questioned why anyone might suggest it would be difficult to plug the defecit in post 59. It will be probably be really difficult. There is already bickering, as far as I can see, as to who should pay more and by how much. It's not that the money is not there. It's that countries won't accept it and already are showing signs of not wanting to pay it.

About 8bn it seems, but there’s an adjustment period as the UK still has to pay contributions for a contracted period, and the growth in internal and external trade will cover much of the gap (it has done already according to recent trade reports).

In terms of the size of the E.U. economy it’s button money. Boris could spaff that away on a couple of shit projects in a year.

One of the things we have to pay for is pensions of UK ex-MEPs like Farage.

But we are not talking global economy terms, we are talking EU budget terms. You questioned why anyone might suggest it would be difficult to plug the defecit in post 59. It will be probably be really difficult. There is already bickering, as far as I can see, as to who should pay more and by how much. It's not that the money is not there. It's that countires won't accept it and already are showing signs of not wanting to pay it.

The GDP of the EU is $18.292 trillion.

There is always bickering at budget time. They will come to an agreement and carry on because they all know that the benefits of membership massively outweigh any costs.

The GDP of the EU is $18.292 trillion.

There is always bickering at budget time. They will come to an agreement and carry on because they all know that the benefits of membership massively outweigh any costs.
If there was always bickering at budget time without a 10bn hole to fill, it is safe to at least question whether the bickering will get significantly more intense and take some time to fill.

If there was always bickering at budget time without a 10bn hole to fill, it is safe to at least question whether the bickering will get significantly more intense and take some time to fill.

They are far more concerned about the costs of COVID-19 and the impending climate crisis than Brexit.

What about a referendum for Lil'exit, the independence of Little England? After independence exile Farage and the ERGies to the Falklands.

I wouldn't send them there. Since they're all apparently fans of Putin and strong leadership I'd exile them to the remote Russian Arctic island of Novaya Zemlya (New Land). The uplands there will be sunlit (well, maybe in the summer). Leave them out in the cold in a literal as well as a metaphorical sense.

But we are not talking global economy terms, we are talking EU budget terms. You questioned why anyone might suggest it would be difficult to plug the defecit in post 59. It will be probably be really difficult. There is already bickering, as far as I can see, as to who should pay more and by how much. It's not that the money is not there. It's that countries won't accept it and already are showing signs of not wanting to pay it.

Any shortfall will be reduced by extra contributions from Germany (and probably one or two other net contributors), taxes and some budget cuts. A digital tax would help.

advertisement

Back