advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain IX

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know that Leicester Town Hall didn’t have all the information that Central government had. I think Hancock’s line is that it’s of no consequence because central government started to act in Leicester 11 days ago (when the problem first came to light in Westminster) with something called “targeted measures” which, unfortunately, weren’t sufficient. Have I misunderstood?

But I can’t work out what these targeted measures were! What has been happening in Leicester over the past two weeks? Have special local testing facilities been set up in shopping centres in districts with a lot of cases? Has there been a vigorous PR campaign asking people in many languages to get a test and self isolate? Has there been checking of the working conditions of people who come down with the disease?

And the mayor of Leicester is saying “if I’d known then I would have acted to stop this situation arising.” But what would he have done?

I know that Leicester Town Hall didn’t have all the information that Central government had. I think Hancock’s line is that it’s of no consequence because central government started to act in Leicester 11 days ago (when the problem first came to light in Westminster) with something called “targeted measures” which, unfortunately, weren’t sufficient. Have I misunderstood?

But I can’t work out what these targeted measures were! What has been happening in Leicester over the past two weeks? Have special local testing facilities been set up in shopping centres in districts with a lot of cases? Has there been a vigorous PR campaign asking people in many languages to get a test and self isolate? Has there been checking of the working conditions of people who come down with the disease?

And the mayor of Leicester is saying “if I’d known then I would have acted to stop this situation arising.” But what would he have done?

He was too busy breaking lockdown to do anything.

But I can’t work out what these targeted measures were! What has been happening in Leicester over the past two weeks? Have special local testing facilities been set up in shopping centres? Has there been a vigorous PR campaign asking people in many languages to get a test and self isolate? Has there been checking of the working conditions of people who come down with the disease?

They sent in a team of testers into a walk-in centre in the main affected area. They were originally there for one day but the Mayor managed to get them in place for longer.

With greater information he could have isolated places of work where clusters appeared but his team didn’t have access to the data that the government has refused to release to the public domain (pillar 2).

I’m interested to see how they intend to implement this local lockdown given that it currently has no legal basis to enforce it.

They sent in a team of testers into a walk-in centre in the main affected area. They were originally there for one day but the Mayor managed to get them in place for longer.

Thanks, I just couldn't find that information anywhere! So there were targeted measures being implemented, as Hancock said.

With greater information he could have isolated places of work where clusters appeared but his team didn’t have access to the data that the government has refused to release to the public domain (pillar 2).

I didn't know that it was the responsibility of the local authority to identify the origin of clusters and act on it. I guess I'd assumed that that was the job of Public Health England.

They were originally there for one day but the Mayor managed to get them in place for longer.

So the Local Authority was on the job and working with PHE. Presumably the discussion about using information like addresses and work places came up then.

I didn't know that it was the responsibility of the local authority to identify the origin of clusters and act on it. I guess I'd assumed that that was the job of Public Health England.

It used to be the role of local authority public health to do it all but now the identification is done at a national level. The local teams still have responsibility to do the local work. Having things done at a national level sounds like a good idea but the countries that have dealt with this pandemic best have strong local/regional systems in place.

Death toll up to 65000 as the number of deaths recovers mostly to the rolling 5 year average although deaths at home are still above that.

_113164310_optimised-deaths_three_ways_30jun-nc.png

I’m interested to see how they intend to implement this local lockdown given that it currently has no legal basis to enforce it.
It will by Friday.

The way its kicking off everywere globally now or is it because there testing more would using common sense we need to be very careful whose flying into this country. Are more checks being done at airports now.

Some countries are far more concerned who is flying out of the UK. The only reason UK citizens can still travel to Europe is because we are still in Brexit transition.

Some countries are far more concerned who is flying out of the UK. The only reason UK citizens can still travel to Europe is because we are still in Brexit transition.

Not sure this is the only reason. I think the money and tourist situation is also a significant influencing factor.

Final episode of More or Less R4 just concluding...excellent summation of how we got where we are, informed speculation on what might be going to happen, and the mistakes made and how many deaths were avoidable.
There will be a weekly podcast from now on.

So the Local Authority was on the job and working with PHE. Presumably the discussion about using information like addresses and work places came up then.
NO, the Testing is being done by bloody accountants* FFS! and they are not sharing the info they have

*Deloitte

^ this is what happens when there are mixed messages from the top. In the absence of clear, logical, strong leadership people make decisions to suit themselves.
The Worldometers Covid stats are nonsense now aren't they ? I'm guessing that most countries with more than about 15,000 Active Cases in fact have 2-20 times as many as they claim.

Death toll up to 65000 as the number of deaths recovers mostly to the rolling 5 year average although deaths at home are still above that.

_113164310_optimised-deaths_three_ways_30jun-nc.png
I was talking to a friend of mine who is an undertaker, and he said he was asked by a family to get a death certificate re-done to delete reference to Covid, as the post-mortem did not show positive. Apparently there is a stigma attached to having Covid on your death certificate.
He's having a good summer though (black humour, apologies in advance)

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back