advertisement

Brexit: give me a positive effect... III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could change from basic arithmetic to group think that you appear to prefer but as the past 5 years have shown the results do not match your wishful thinking.
Never one for original thought, you seem to have picked the ‘group think‘ off the shelf expressionette quite recently- could that be because Dom n Bor are floating precisely the same words in the Daily Mail and elsewhere as their pretext for attacking the Civil Service?

"Apparently he's an MP."

gagM9pN.jpg

Am I still the only person here who thinks this may be a spoof?
Either way, the twatter looks a real dickhead. If it’s real, he’s a prick for posting it. If it’s a spoof, he’s a prick for posting it. Such morons have been a gift for the last 4 years to those who want to leave.

PS It’s a great example of what twitter/twatter is all about and is best avoided.

Oh man, this is going to be good-

“border plan depends on a new and untested IT system”.

Could this be from the same A-team who brought you the Covid track & trace App, the magic 100,000 Covid tests a day? Let me guess- it’ll be a Grayling style mass airlift to bring in prescription medicines and vital parts. ££££££££££££...

The attempts by Cummings and his admirers on here to portray the CS as biased and obstructive as opposed to inefficient or somehow more cumbersome than for countless previous administrations is all to do with ideology. If Labour had won the election and set about this course of action, the same people would have been screaming and howling. The GOP enabling of Trump has obviously impressed Cummings and his backers and this is part of replicating it here. Nothing to do with wanting an unbiased or honest CS, everything to do with having a more compliant one.
Exactly, Trump could justify dismissals and attack any testimony against him by diplomats and government officials as being the biased actions of Never-Trumpers. In other words their actions weren’t based on professionalism, code of conduct and loyalty to their country but on their bias against Trump. Johnson and Cummings are pulling the stunt here- the head of the CS must be an avowed Brexiteer. If they get away with this, how far will they go in polluting the Civil Service with their lackeys?

Am I still the only person here who thinks this may be a spoof?
Why would it be spoof?
Credible to me, and the writer is adamant its genuine.
Many of the comments instance not dissimilar ignorance on the part of brexit voters.

Either way, the twatter looks a real dickhead. If it’s real, he’s a prick for posting it. If it’s a spoof, he’s a prick for posting it. Such morons have been a gift for the last 4 years to those who want to leave.

PS It’s a great example of what twitter/twatter is all about and is best avoided.

You give it to em', Brian!

By the way, how is that chap pointing out the mess that those Brexiters have made of their own lives any different to posting this kind of thing every couple of days?
As I’ve said numerous times now, leave supporters swarmed to the tories with small but still significant numbers to the brexit party to ‘get brexit done’.

The remain supporters should have voted Labour where Labour could win a seat, or tactically against the tories where Labour are nowhere. They could always have swung straight back to their Utopia party at the next GE but they didn’t want remain enough to help enable that second referendum.

You give it to em', Brian!

By the way, how is that chap pointing out the mess that those Brexiters have made of their own lives any different to posting this kind of thing every couple of days?
Do you mean the difference apart from my post being an honest opinion and not a running, snide commentary of others messages? :D

Do you mean the difference apart from my post being an honest opinion and not a running, snide commentary of others messages? :D
Maybe I wasn’t looking for it, but the Twitter thread didn’t read as snide to me. I’d say it was more like astonished.

Flattered that you want to continue our 'chat' but debating Brexit is far more interesting, no?
Chat? istm I’m just answering your questions and I’m flattered you think I have the answers. There are nearly 29,000 members and I’m sure they’re all on the edge of their seat at this new member’s continuing inquisition.

I have plenty of time. :)

Next..

Heavy selling of the pound after Johnson talks up “Australia style deal” aka No Deal.

https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/gbp-live-today/13582-pound-to-euro-and-dollar-brexit-negotiations-restart

The British Pound plumbed a fresh three-month low against the Euro and a one-month low against the U.S. Dollar as investors withdrew capital from a country facing the dual prospects of a slow economic rebound from the coronacrisis and sub-par Brexit trade deal at year-end.

But it appears that Brexit trade negotiations are where the real weakness in Sterling has arisen as the currency is lagging the majority of the world's major currencies suggesting an idiosynchratic factor is at play. The Pound started the new week on the back foot courtesy of weekend comments from Prime Minister Boris Johnson that the UK would be prepared to accept an Australia-style Brexit trade deal.

^
From the same article..https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/g...o-euro-and-dollar-brexit-negotiations-restart

Merkel said:
“If Britain does not want to have rules on the environment and the labour market or social standards that compare with those of the EU, our relations will be less close."

The standards referred to by Merkel concern the so-called level playing field provisions that the EU want the UK to sign up to. Under such a scenario the UK would follow EU rules on competition and standards to ensure UK businesses don't gain an advantage over their EU counterparts, which is an understandable request by the EU to make. Equally understandable however is the UK's hostility towards the demands as they effectively ensure the UK remains bound by EU law in some areas.

Though understandable, the EU negotiator must surely know this is an unrealistic demand with a tory govt holding an 80 odd seat majority.

Though understandable, the EU negotiator must surely know this is an unrealistic demand with a tory govt holding an 80 odd seat majority.

An 80 seat majority in the UK is of no consequence. This is not an unrealistic demand if the UK wants to be part of the market. It's a condition and always has been. The assurances to the UK public that you could do both (diverge and be part of it) didn't come from them, it was a fantasy promise. There was a phrase for that, it'll come back to me, something to do with cakes.

So the calculation is a very simple one. Divergence makes the largest part of your trade much less simple and much more expensive, but gets you a bit of new trade from smaller players who can be arsed and the US who will extract large concessions on other matters. Or, you get to retain access to a large market where costs of trade (distance and alignment) are more cost effective and "oven ready".

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back