advertisement

E scooters

So rental scooters are legal
Private ones are not legal
How do they tell?
Road use only and you need a licence.

The wheels are far too small for use on the road. Even the smallest pot hole is going to swallow the front wheel and you will rotate around it until you plant your teeth in the asphalt. Which will be highly amusing for everyone else. You might even land a Darwin Award :)

The wheels are far too small for use on the road. Even the smallest pot hole is going to swallow the front wheel and you will rotate around it until you plant your teeth in the asphalt. Which will be highly amusing for everyone else. You might even land a Darwin Award :)

If they are so dodgy we would know about by now and the Darwin awarded several times over.
So many in cities around the world would appear to disagree with your concerns. Your view of the typical crash appears misplaced, we are not told of scooter drivers with their teeth in the asphalt.

My view - you are probably more likely to spot a pot hole on a scooter than if you were driving. And you are more likely to be able to get avoid it - scooter a lot more manoeuvrable than a car, or, quicker to stop. If you do crash in, you are not going very fast and you are only a few inches above ground anyway. A crash will not send you over the handlebars, more likely you would fall inelegantly, sideways. You might twist your ankle on a deep one.

So rental scooters are legal
Private ones are not legal
How do they tell?
Road use only and you need a licence.

Rental companies will cover their scooters in corporate livery. Branding is good advertising, rather like in London you can easily spot a rental bike, i.e Santander Cycle ( Boris Bike )

If they are so dodgy we would know about by now and the Darwin awarded several times over.
So many in cities around the world would appear to disagree with your concerns. Your view of the typical crash appears misplaced, we are not told of scooter drivers with their teeth in the asphalt.

My view - you are probably more likely to spot a pot hole on a scooter than if you were driving. And you are more likely to be able to get avoid it - scooter a lot more manoeuvrable than a car, or, quicker to stop. If you do crash in, you are not going very fast and you are only a few inches above ground anyway. A crash will not send you over the handlebars, more likely you would fall inelegantly, sideways. You might twist your ankle on a deep one.
I was going to write pretty much the same. UK is retarded and does not really have a valid opinion becasue it does not have the experience. There are quite a lot of them where I live. Not too many though, possibly becaause they are not as versatile as e-bikes. E.g I won't get one because the battery life is too short, I can't carry my dog, hardly any of them have a hook for locking onto bike racks or fendces etc and you can't really go in the dirt on most of them.

I have not seen a scooter accident yet.

Nice try troll

They're everywhere in Portland and I've never seen one come a cropper on a pothole or tramline. They tend to fly over small gaps as there's no suspension to push the wheel down.

There were some around pre-covid with wide knobbly tyres but they're yet to return to the streets.

Not sure what we're talking about here, as an electric bike requires no licence, no insurance and nor a helmet, but is, or was when I had one, limited to 15 mph (but went a lot faster downhill!). Either reg's have changed or the subject of this thread is an animal i don't know about.

Unless it's those kiddie scooters with an engine but no seat, in which case I'm surprised they're treated differently to electric cycles.

I was going to write pretty much the same. UK is retarded and does not really have a valid opinion becasue it does not have the experience. There are quite a lot of them where I live. Not too many though, possibly becaause they are not as versatile as e-bikes. E.g I won't get one because the battery life is too short, I can't carry my dog, hardly any of them have a hook for locking onto bike racks or fendces etc and you can't really go in the dirt on most of them.

I have not seen a scooter accident yet.

Sadly, I have. Kid tried for a gap that wasn't there, and gave his scooter a little too much "gas" - rear wheel spun out, and saw him face first into a taxi bonnet. They're a bloody liability. Dog hates them too.

They had them in Boston last summer and it was hard work as a driver to avoid them as many riders were not following road rules. Good things in theory but could be a menace if the riders don’t behave.

I suspect the criminal fraternity will find a way to bypass security and nick them, there will be a roaring trade in paint spray tins. Drug dealers will love them as the cops won’t be able to catch them, There will be a lot of accidents due to potholes and the need to avoid them, pedestrians will be at risk especially those with sight impairment. How will you identify the person you want to report to the police or make a claim against, I am sure the liability won’t become solely those who set up the scheme.

Good Morning All,

There will always be a degree of negativity around any 'new' thing turning up and always people using them behaving like idiots but that doesn't mean such things shouldn't come to pass.

Personally I think they are a brilliant idea for an urban environment.

I'm struggling to understand why rental companies only can run them. Does that mean my self-employed limited company could buy two and rent them to my sons???

Regards

Richard

Quite common in Sweden, I know two people that have smashed there faces coming off them, one was returning from a pub so maybe in reality that’s one.

advertisement

Back