advertisement

Stock Market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
And in today's news after the Bournemouth beach crisis...

"The IMF said investors were “apparently betting on continued and unprecedented support by central banks”, adding that the disconnect between markets and the real economy raised the risk of another slump in asset prices that would harm recovery prospects."
“This has created a divergence between the pricing of risk in financial markets and economic prospects,” the IMF said.
The IMF said a second wave of infections was one of a number of triggers that could send markets lower. Such an outcome “could add financial stress on top of an already unprecedented economic recession”.

"Another 1.48 million people filed for unemployment insurance across the US last week, as the grim economic toll of the coronavirus pandemic continued and infection rates picked up in many states." - courtesy of the Guardian.

Not sure there's much to add other than a reminder that IMHO the 'official' US unemployment figures are not at all representative of reality (they are based on a survey of 0.03% of the population, agreeable to participate in the survey. Do the sums to work out just how many people need to report that they are not looking for work to impact on that metric....).

^^^ I think the world economy would have been much better off if people had spent any helicopter money they received on goods (buy online) rather than stocks....or saved it at least.

If the stock market turns over, the retail investors will get thrown under the bus and the pros will reap the rewards to aid their middle calls/wealthy clients.

Gold, Silver and GDX starting to look more solid now...as the market realise this virus isn't done with us yet...

Wish I'd known about GDX and GDXJ back in March as they must have been a good solid play looking back in history.

A bit of gold isn't a bad idea for security / emergencies, but long term I still think you're better with a range of big players from future markets - Shopify, Google, Amazon, Okta, etc. And 10% in Bitcoin.

A bit of gold isn't a bad idea for security / emergencies, but long term I still think you're better with a range of big players from future markets - Shopify, Google, Amazon, Okta, etc. And 10% in Bitcoin.

Alot of them just seem overvalued to me now.

Also, trying to buy Bitcoin via Binance and the cut they take is crazy...like 5%+

Also, trying to buy Bitcoin via Binance and the cut they take is crazy...like 5%+

I agree, but they're well managed with a lot of untapped business.

There are cheaper but I use Coinbase Pro, which is at least reliable. If the market runs and traders get into crypto then bitcoin moons, 5% won't sound like a bad deal. :) It's arguably a safe haven too, given the money being printed and the inflation to follow.

https://www.theguardian.com/technol...ost-valuable-carmaker-without-making-a-profit

Tesla now the highest market cap of all car manufacturers, despite never having made a profit...

I've driven in a couple (S & 3) and not particularly impressed with either. Fast but neither merited the price tag IMHO. And you don't see too many on the roads..

If the company is valued on future earning prospects then they have a long way to go IMHO..

T(esla)ulips?

Look at Coinbase and Coinbase Pro to trade, once you have it setup the fees are reasonable, depositing and withdrawing fiat out is quick, easy and free, I have a First Direct account linked. You can do Limit and Loss orders.

Binance is a faff but good if you fanny with Alt coins, they have their own coin which can minimise the fees. I just stick with BTC, LTC and ETH these days on CB Pro.

It’s still a gamble but it look at the minute it’s not much different to the FTSE or DOW, I was aiming at 1% in crypto but now have 5% in it.

I'll check it put

Gold, Silver and Gold miners are giving me a good few thrills already. I think things are setting up to be good for them in the future.

US craziness continues. Tesla hit $1700 earlier today before pulling slightly back, which puts their market cap is $309b. P/E is equally crazy. At least they actually make something and have a proven technology position that the other OEMs are chasing after......Nikola have a market cap of nearly $20b and have nothing to show but concepts and some land. To put it into context bp's market cap is only $60b. Looks like US is now ultra-forward-looking. I know nuffin' no more.

US craziness continues. Tesla hit $1700 earlier today before pulling slightly back, which puts their market cap is $309b. P/E is equally crazy. At least they actually make something and have a proven technology position that the other OEMs are chasing after......Nikola have a market cap of nearly $20b and have nothing to show but concepts and some land. To put it into context bp's market cap is only $60b. Looks like US is now ultra-forward-looking. I know nuffin' no more.

hey ho, quite a few of my funds hold Tesla so I’ll just go with the flow. Yes it is crazy, but I don’t feel selling out.

A few weeks ago i sold a duff european growth fund (thanks for nothing HL wealth list) and bought into baillie gifford long term global growth. I thought i had already missed the boat but it is up 20% since then. Surely it will end in tears but it is a fun ride.

Yes, go with the index (or good fund manager) flow. I now buy a global Vanguard index tracker every month for my wife's SIPP, and it has done very, very well indeed. Hardly costs anything (0.15% fee).

I'm still concentrating mostly on property, gold, silver.

Nothing else makes sense to me ATM.

I've put my inflation stake in the ground.

I'm still concentrating mostly on property, gold, silver.

Nothing else makes sense to me ATM.

I've put my inflation stake in the ground.

You will eventually be right. But in the meantime you missed out on the longest bull run in history, or at least the last 3 years of it.

You will eventually be right. But in the meantime you missed out on the longest bull run in history, or at least the last 3 years of it.

Not sure what you mean about eventually? Gold, silver have done well since March when I jumped in.

I definitely don't feel like I've missed out on much though TBH. Property has been much less of a roller coaster than the stock markets and returns have been great. It's a bit more hands on though and I prefer that.

Someone mentioned Nokia. I fluked that one years back and bought it before the Microsoft take over. Offloaded it pretty quickly after. I think at the time I bought it, their patents etc were worth more than their market valuation. At least their was some logic to that purchase....that appears to have gone out the window now.

I still plan to jump back into markets at some stage. But I won't be trusting my retirement on them.

Hi Andy, if it was my post you were recalling, I was referring to Nikola, seen by many in the US as a potential trucking equivalent to Tesla, not Nokia.

Loads of cash in the global financial system, even before C-19. Finding a long-term home for it is a problem. I guess that can lead to things like Tesla.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back