advertisement

Trump Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pence could pardon him if Trump resigns pre-election and Pence becomes President, as Ford did with Nixon. But I see no evidence that Trump is planning to resign.

Speaking of Ford, here's the mighty Hunter S Thompson on Ford's pardoning of Nixon:

'About five hours after I’d sent the final draft of a massive article on The Demise of Richard Nixon off on the mojo wire and into the cold maw of the typesetter in San Francisco, Gerald Ford called a press conference in Washington to announce that he had just granted a “full, free and absolute” presidential pardon, covering any and all crimes Richard Nixon may or may not have committed during the entire five and a half years of his presidency.

[...]

Or at least that’s how it sounded to me, when I was jolted out of a sweat-soaked coma on Sunday morning by a frantic telephone call from Dick Tuck. “Ford pardoned the bastard!” he screamed. “I warned you, didn’t I? I buried him twice, and he came back from the dead both times. … Now he’s done it again; he’s running around loose on some private golf course in Palm Desert.”

I fell back on the bed, moaning heavily. No, I thought. I didn’t hear that. Ford had gone out of his way, during his first White House press conference, to impress both the Washington press corps and the national TV audience with his carefully considered refusal to interfere in any way with Special Prosecutor Leon Jaworski’s legal duty to proceed on the basis of evidence and “prosecute any and all individuals.” Given the context of the question, Ford’s reply was widely interpreted as a signal to Jaworski that the former president should not be given any special treatment…. And it also meshed with Ford’s answer to a question in the course of his confirmation hearings in the Senate a few months earlier, when he’d said, “I don’t think the public would stand for it,” when asked if an appointed vice-president would have the power to pardon the president who’d appointed him, if the president were removed from office under criminal circumstances.

[...]

“Mother of babbling god!” I muttered. The word “deadline” caused my brain to seize up momentarily. Deadline? Yes. Tomorrow morning, about 15 more hours…. With about 90% of my story already set in type, one of the threads that ran all the way through it was my belief that nothing short of a nuclear war could prevent Richard Nixon’s conviction. The only thing wrong with that argument was its tripod construction, and one of the three main pillars was my assumption that Gerald Ford had not been lying when he’d said more than once, for the record, that he had no intention of considering a presidential pardon for Richard Nixon “until the legal process has run its course.”

Cazart! I hung up the phone and tossed my chart across the room. That rotten, sadistic little thief had done it again. Just one month earlier he had sandbagged me by resigning so close to the deadline that I almost had a nervous breakdown while failing completely…. And now he was doing it again, with this goddamn presidential pardon, leaving me with less than 24 hours to revise completely a 15,000 word story that was already set in type.'
Great stuff from Hunter S. Thompson. Thank you.

Pence could pardon him if Trump resigns pre-election and Pence becomes President, as Ford did with Nixon. But I see no evidence that Trump is planning to resign.

Speaking of Ford, here's the mighty Hunter S Thompson on Ford's pardoning of Nixon:

'About five hours after I’d sent the final draft of a massive article on The Demise of Richard Nixon off on the mojo wire and into the cold maw of the typesetter in San Francisco, Gerald Ford called a press conference in Washington to announce that he had just granted a “full, free and absolute” presidential pardon, covering any and all crimes Richard Nixon may or may not have committed during the entire five and a half years of his presidency.

[...]

Or at least that’s how it sounded to me, when I was jolted out of a sweat-soaked coma on Sunday morning by a frantic telephone call from Dick Tuck. “Ford pardoned the bastard!” he screamed. “I warned you, didn’t I? I buried him twice, and he came back from the dead both times. … Now he’s done it again; he’s running around loose on some private golf course in Palm Desert.”

I fell back on the bed, moaning heavily. No, I thought. I didn’t hear that. Ford had gone out of his way, during his first White House press conference, to impress both the Washington press corps and the national TV audience with his carefully considered refusal to interfere in any way with Special Prosecutor Leon Jaworski’s legal duty to proceed on the basis of evidence and “prosecute any and all individuals.” Given the context of the question, Ford’s reply was widely interpreted as a signal to Jaworski that the former president should not be given any special treatment…. And it also meshed with Ford’s answer to a question in the course of his confirmation hearings in the Senate a few months earlier, when he’d said, “I don’t think the public would stand for it,” when asked if an appointed vice-president would have the power to pardon the president who’d appointed him, if the president were removed from office under criminal circumstances.

[...]

“Mother of babbling god!” I muttered. The word “deadline” caused my brain to seize up momentarily. Deadline? Yes. Tomorrow morning, about 15 more hours…. With about 90% of my story already set in type, one of the threads that ran all the way through it was my belief that nothing short of a nuclear war could prevent Richard Nixon’s conviction. The only thing wrong with that argument was its tripod construction, and one of the three main pillars was my assumption that Gerald Ford had not been lying when he’d said more than once, for the record, that he had no intention of considering a presidential pardon for Richard Nixon “until the legal process has run its course.”

Cazart! I hung up the phone and tossed my chart across the room. That rotten, sadistic little thief had done it again. Just one month earlier he had sandbagged me by resigning so close to the deadline that I almost had a nervous breakdown while failing completely…. And now he was doing it again, with this goddamn presidential pardon, leaving me with less than 24 hours to revise completely a 15,000 word story that was already set in type.'

This/\ plus trump, doris, cummins etc could lead one to conclude that the only reason to avoid criminality is the risk of prosecution and that any feelings of moral compunction to do the right thing and set a good example could be considered naive.... The Kray twins were no more morally bankrupt than Trump and ultimately caused infinitely less harm.

I liked the comment from one of Tom Petty's Heartbreakers: "I in no way approve of Trump even whistling any piece of music associated with our band. I hope that's clear enough."

Very fine people

ycb5gvvm
Whilst in no way supporting these two, the full video of this shows the protestors going through a private gate, across large manicured grounds and approaching the front of the mansion that is in view in the picture. Violence was apparently offered to this - clearly very wealthy - couple. In the US, they are probably showing restraint by not opening fire rather than being the bigots they are being portrayed as.

Comment offered only in the spirit of fair reporting.

Whilst in no way supporting these two, the full video of this shows the protestors going through a private gate, across large manicured grounds and approaching the front of the mansion that is in view in the picture. Violence was apparently offered to this - clearly very wealthy - couple. In the US, they are probably showing restraint by not opening fire rather than being the bigots they are being portrayed as.

Reportedly, the husband of the couple said they feared for their lives that at any minute they'd be murdered and their pets killed.

Their fear corresponds to the drumbeat of right wing propaganda, that deamonizes protestors and the BLM movement. Quoting Tucker Carlson: “This may be a lot of things, this moment we are living through, but it is definitely not about black lives, and remember that when they come for you,"

I am amazed the wife managed not to trigger a shot. The level of fear and insanity in these guilty fat cats is incredible.

Last edited:
Part of the problem is right here - images can show all kinds of things and the past few posts, mine included, demonstrate that nicely. We can’t possibly know what was in her mind, what her background is, her level of intelligence and understanding of the issues or anything else for that matter.

What we can determine is that there is a huge mess in the US and that trouble is brewing unless someone can get some sense instilled. Trump is not that someone.

Part of the problem is right here - images can show all kinds of things and the past few posts, mine included, demonstrate that nicely. We can’t possibly know what was in her mind, what her background is, her level of intelligence and understanding of the issues or anything else for that matter.

What we can determine is that there is a huge mess in the US and that trouble is brewing unless someone can get some sense instilled. Trump is not that someone.

Agree, it's hard to tell what's going on from a few images; however, they vividly demonstrate the fear that underpins and fuels US society at the moment.

Well .... duh ! Everyone outside of the top 1% who votes Republican is voting to be "ground in the gears of commerce". Senior citizens who vote for a party that is actively trying to remove what skimpy healthcare protections those under 65 have DESERVE to have their medicare taken away in the name of free market (Darwinian) capitalism.

Indeed, but I think C-19 has focussed their minds.

The US is ****ed - there's a Corvid-19 bush-fire raging through the country & no co-ordinated effort to put it out - mainly because of the administration's incompetence & lack of interest in doing the work that's necessary. It's the GOP's lack of interest in doing the work of governing - seen in everything Trump does or doesn't do - he has no interest in the work required of a President.

Who knows where the a racism protests will end up - it didn't change much in 1968 US - will 2020 be any different there?

This will destroy the economy for the rest of 2020 & the death rate & Trumps poll numbers will only get worse. He will be caught between a rock & a hard place - face the most humiliating defeat in the election or resign in advance of this humiliation.

He will resign with some deal made & try to spin it as a victory - it's the only option he will have some control over but he won't resign yet - he will only resign when the country is so ****ed that it will be beyond fixing - it will take many years, maybe even a decade to recover.

I suspect the family name Trump will enter the language as the definition of a person bereft of any positive traits - just cowardice, incompetence, ineptitude, morally vacuous, criminality & many other negative personality traits

Yeah cos threatening to blow someones head off is a completely proportional response to someone treading on your lawn! Not!

Good thread on that here. White establishment America is scared. Good. It should be.
Big stochastic terrorist response energy here.

EbpOT9yWoAELLl3

EbpOVIoWAAEeG4J

(*Yeah, I had to look it up at the time too)

Those are remarkable images. I think if she pulled the trigger she’s as likely to hit her husband or a passing car as anyone in front of her. Also if your going to come out shooting it’s best to put some shoes on. It looks like a scene from a George Romero film.

The US is ****ed - there's a Corvid-19 bush-fire raging through the country & no co-ordinated effort to put it out - mainly because of the administration's incompetence & lack of interest in doing the work that's necessary. It's the GOP's lack of interest in doing the work of governing - seen in everything Trump does or doesn't do - he has no interest in the work required of a President.

Who knows where the a racism protests will end up - it didn't change much in 1968 US - will 2020 be any different there?

This will destroy the economy for the rest of 2020 & the death rate & Trumps poll numbers will only get worse. He will be caught between a rock & a hard place - face the most humiliating defeat in the election or resign in advance of this humiliation.

He will resign with some deal made & try to spin it as a victory - it's the only option he will have some control over but he won't resign yet - he will only resign when the country is so ****ed that it will be beyond fixing - it will take many years, maybe even a decade to recover.

I suspect the family name Trump will enter the language as the definition of a person bereft of any positive traits - just cowardice, incompetence, ineptitude, morally vacuous, criminality & many other negative personality traits

A cornered Trump is dangerous. The more stress he's under the more impulsive he gets + he thinks the rules don't apply to him = who knows what but it won't be good for the US (and possibly the world). If he decides to go early (or loses the election), I hope he does so quietly and legally per your post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back