advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

At 3 o’clock after a gallon of ale, social distancing and hand washing will be a mere bagatelle. I think I’ll give it a few weeks!

I walked past some bars here in Portland last Friday. Signs on the sites said masks must be worn, but of course they weren't. The places were packed.

I feel for the staff, who are told that if they refuse to go back they won't be eligible for unemployment.

The people in the bars were all young and happy in the knowledge that they aren't likely to get very sick when they catch the virus. The thought of killing their grandparents with it probably never occurs.

How do the GDPR rules deal with this pub tracing system?
I imagine it'll be done through the app - no app no entry (which is what our local is doing)

I have always use the app for table service at our 'spoons - works really well. You can go in a 1100 in the morning, insert a catheter, be served beer and food all day without leaving......

I'm not bothered by covid, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to sit with random idiots desperate to get drunk.

If they were doing table service only outside, then maybe, but frankly their beer isnt that attractive.

Cant speak for everywhere, but my partner works at an M&B pub, and they have comprehensive rules about the reopening, which include strict time slot booking, strict table service and seated consumption (aka ‘no vertical drinking’), a one-way system through the building, no-one allowed at the bar, sanitisation of tables & menus between seatings and so on.

As far as I’m aware, masks are advised but not mandatory, which IMO means they won’t end up being used. And there appears to be nothing on ventilation, at least so far.

Personally I still don’t think it’s enough, but it has to be said the pubs are trying hard, at least hers is, and breweries have a strong vested interest in making sure everyone sticks to the new rules - the papers will be watching like hawks for any outbreaks traceable to sloppy handling of virus protocols in the newly reopened pubs.

I wish she didn’t have to go in, and I blame the government for her having to. Not least because I don’t feel able in good conscience to be near my parents, who I already haven’t seen properly in months because they’re shielding, once she starts back.

But I also totally understand the desire to go to the pub. I’d love to myself. And the pubs and staff are trying hard.

We have two good village pubs and I intend to put money their way ASAP. It’ll be a beery bar meal on a weekday lunchtime when the weather’s pleasant enough to sit out.

I certainly won't be going to any where masks are compulsory! I'm looking for the opposite of what the pubs want I guess... they want to cram 'em in as much as possible but with track and trace and masks and table service only and no standing... that's all anathema to me. I want 2m spacing and less people allowed in so that I CAN MAKE SURE I'M SAFE rather than be dictated to that "do as we command and we're covered legally if you do get it".

I imagine it'll be done through the app - no app no entry (which is what our local is doing)

I have always use the app for table service at our 'spoons - works really well. You can go in a 1100 in the morning, insert a catheter, be served beer and food all day without leaving......

Never thought that some pubs already have this ability (the tracking) built in.

Our local, I’d imagine all it’ll be is a pen and a piece of paper, 21 days of this will be a fair amount of paper to keep :)

I’m personally not bothered by the GDPR thing, but I imagine plenty will be, so it’s a good question to throw into the pot.

Contactless is the way forward for pubs, cash is increasingly antiquated.

My local (about a mile away) is a Sam Smiths pub, something of an experience & doesn’t even allow mobile phones to be used in the pub; cash only.

I see the stats for a second spike. I drink at home, with (now) a mate or four 2 meters away, outside. They bring their own glasses and all 6 of us are still alive. Which seems important right now.
At 20, 30 and maybe 40 I was also invulnerable.

Never thought that some pubs already have this ability (the tracking) built in.

they dont track anything really. With 'spoons you have the app, and you need to let the app know which pub you are in so you can order table service. It knows when you order etc. They store the data, it is also linked to a payment mechanism, GPay for example.

I see the stats for a second spike

I am envious of your crystal ball and expertise

Contactless is the way forward for pubs, cash is increasingly antiquated.

My local (about a mile away) is a Sam Smiths pub, something of an experience & doesn’t even allow mobile phones to be used in the pub; cash only.
My local pub has a minimum spend of £10 per each card transaction. It’s a pub/nosh takeaway so that’s fine if you plan to eat but if you’re just having a drink you would need to leave 2 pints in the barrel to use a card at £4.65 a pint. Fine if you intend having 3 pints, I suppose.

The contactless max per day would need to be increased. At £5-£6 a pint in other places, and over a quid for a packet of pipers and a quid for nuts it’s nowhere near enough.

advertisement

Back