advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

I'm not bothered by covid, but I'll be buggered if I'm going to sit with random idiots desperate to get drunk.

If they were doing table service only outside, then maybe, but frankly their beer isnt that attractive.

I see one of the measures JD Wetherspoons are putting in place are welcome signs which will give guidance to customers, including asking them to only visit their pubs if they feel well.

Also members of staff only employed for the purpose of wiping down card machines and surfaces.

The new front line?
Them and the meat cutting plants at the moment, it seems.

I didn’t go in pubs before the pandemic unless it was an annual booze up with mates.
I doubt I’ll be going in one for years to come.

Oh yes I'll be there.... well I'll be going out with a view to going to the pub anyway but I don't know which if any local ones will be opening and I hate packed pubs full of drunks at the best of times so what I'm expecting to actually happen is a couple of mile trek checking them out and to return without entering any due to them being too busy.

I'll repeat this on Sunday.

I'd need to see that there was the space for me to be able to maintain 2m distancing (feck 1m!) and that punters were behaving responsibly before I'd go in. TBH there's only really spoons and The Tavern that are big enough for there to be a good likelihood of my having the space around me that I'd want... and probably many others will be thinking the same thing hence they'll be too busy and I'll end up trekking back home via the beer aisle of the supermarket....

Unfortunately I'm expecting that for the first few days those making a beeline for the pubs will not be responsible (ha!) middle aged real ale drinkers such as myself but the idiotic young lager louts who flocked to the beaches etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get as far as the corner into the main drag and see actual queues to get in and give up at that point!

What I won't do is "sign in" to a pub so if as speculated they are going to demand ID etc before you can come in they can shove it where the sun don't shine!

Hopefully people may realise just what a wonderful thing local pubs really are after all this and they may become more popular once again and halt the decline of the great British pub! About a third of them around here have been shut and converted into flats in the last ten years or so... it would be even better if they were reconverted back to pubs!

I've booked a table for two of us with the dogs for a two hour slot at 8pm at my small local It's seated only and socially distanced from others, one way system and table service only in operation... hope it works well as I've assisted with the risk assessment as he's been closed since lockdown and clearly feeling it from a financial perspective.

One of our local pubs opened for takeout a while back and had to close again shortly afterwards because drinkers were pissing in the street and shitting in people's front gardens.

I think I'll have a night in this Saturday.

Oh yes I'll be there.... well I'll be going out with a view to going to the pub anyway but I don't know which if any local ones will be opening and I hate packed pubs full of drunks at the best of times so what I'm expecting to actually happen is a couple of mile trek checking them out and to return without entering any due to them being too busy.
[...]
What I won't do is "sign in" to a pub so if as speculated they are going to demand ID etc before you can come in they can shove it where the sun don't shine!
I'd save yoursef the trip Jez, the 'speculation' you refer to is fact, as far as I know. There's going to be an obligation, in law, for pubs to collect names and contact details of all patrons which will be passed on to the NHS Test and Trace wallahs in the event that anybody who visits the pub subsequently comes down with Covid. So if you go to the 'spoons, and somebody in there goes down with Covid, and the T&T people discover he was there, they'll be able to identify who else was there, and possibly exposed/infected.

...and given Jez drinks at JD Gammonspoons chances are his details will go straight to Dominic Cummings.

PS Pic of Jez’s local here.

A few places near me have quite big beer gardens & have been fitting them out. I prefer to drink during the day at weekends when it is usually less quiet.

Problem I have is getting about, not too good walking at the moment so the simple pleasure of walking for a pint is out for me.

I quite like the idea of table service with an app for payment, I would be perfectly happy for card companies to share my data with Govt during the crisis.

Deaths are now back to normal levels so that is one small crumb of comfort.

I'd need to see that there was the space for me to be able to maintain 2m distancing (feck 1m!) and that punters were behaving responsibly before I'd go in. TBH there's only really spoons and The Tavern that are big enough for there to be a good likelihood of my having the space around me that I'd want... and probably many others will be thinking the same thing hence they'll be too busy and I'll end up trekking back home via the beer aisle of the supermarket....

Unfortunately I'm expecting that for the first few days those making a beeline for the pubs will not be responsible (ha!) middle aged real ale drinkers such as myself but the idiotic young lager louts who flocked to the beaches etc.

I wouldn't be surprised if I get as far as the corner into the main drag and see actual queues to get in and give up at that point!

Hopefully people may realise just what a wonderful thing local pubs really are after all this and they may become more popular once again and halt the decline of the great British pub! About a third of them around here have been shut and converted into flats in the last ten years or so... it would be even better if they were reconverted back to pubs!

The regulars are getting the batteries fully charged on their mobility scooters to beat the rush. You'll have to camp out overnight to beat them.

This popped into my head this morning:

End of Lockdown

And when the pub doors open wide
And all the punters pour inside
Celebrating after life was so hard to endure
Having been miserable with no sign of a cure

Many will think they’re heroes back from war
Boasting how hard the lockdown's been to ignore
While others will think of those we’ll see no more
Who'll no longer join in the banter and rapport

Last edited:

the speculation are in fact rules.
Here’s your new Saturday night t&cs for visiting the pub...

Visitors will be asked to give their name and contact details to the pub either when they make a booking, or when they arrive.

This temporary record will now be kept by pubs for 21 days so those who visit can be contracted if there is a localised breakout of coronavirus.

The government guidance reads: “You should assist this service by keeping a temporary record of your customers and visitors for 21 days, in a way that is manageable for your business, and assist NHS Test and Trace with requests for that data if needed.

“This could help contain clusters or outbreaks.”

Contactless ordering and payment methods will be encouraged.

Venues with apps such as Wetherspoons are encouraging visitors to order using these rather than from members of staff.
Punters will be asked to pay via apps or contactless card
Inside pubs, one-way systems will be used to ensure people do not cross paths.

Single-direction traffic will is aimed at reducing congestion and minimising contact between customers.

The government guidance says that doors should be left open, where appropriate, to reduce touchpoints.

Maintaining good ventilation is also important and therefore windows and doors should be kept open as much as possible it adds.

In addition, pubs are urged to use a one in one out system at toilets to minimise customer interaction.
Enjoy!

I'd save yoursef the trip Jez, the 'speculation' you refer to is fact, as far as I know. There's going to be an obligation, in law, for pubs to collect names and contact details of all patrons which will be passed on to the NHS Test and Trace wallahs in the event that anybody who visits the pub subsequently comes down with Covid. So if you go to the 'spoons, and somebody in there goes down with Covid, and the T&T people discover he was there, they'll be able to identify who else was there, and possibly exposed/infected.

I'm not willing to do that so until it ends I won't be going to pubs... if true... and if being enforced.. I'll still go and suss out the situation on the ground and see if any are breaking the rules on this and if they are they will get my custom. I'm MASSIVELY anti all ID, CCTV, ANPR the lot and I ain't having some health nazi demanding "Papers please Sir" at my local pub. So I'll go.. see if it's too busy anyway as expected and if I do go in I'll see if they want my details.. if yes I will of course refuse and then I guess I'll be asked to leave.. que sera...
I may travel to a neighbouring town where I can use false ID though.

advertisement

Back