advertisement

Edge - Microsoft malware.

MikeMA

pfm Member
I have Win 10 Pro installed on my desk top box. The other day it updated itself and installed a new version of Edge.

Now Edge has been driving me nuts ever since I upgraded to Win 10 Pro, I hate the b****y thing. I have Google Chrome set as my default browser and never ever use Edge, but no matter what changes I make to settings etc., Edge opens automatically on startup. The new version is even more b*****y irritating as whatever I do it fills the entire screen on start up, like some piece of malignant malware. Yes, I can just minimise it and carry on but it is intensely irritating and I want it stopped!

A quick Google shows that this a common problem, and there are loads of suggested solutions involving changing Edge settings and startup menu settings etc. etc. but none of these work for me, as I can never find the b*****y menu settings, or they seem completely different to what others are describing. Why are Win 10 settings all over the b****y place? Why is it so sh1t?

Anyone know how to ditch Edge and can guide me through the process?

I don't see the same problems, and the new Edge is much faster and responsive than the previous incarnation. The only problem I have had is something to do with IPv6 which has been causing problems with DNS, but easy to fix if you Google it.

I have the new Edge, which I never use and which does not launch automatically. I have Firefox set as my default browser.

The new edge is based on chromium so very similar to chrome. It must either be in your start items or you need to do the following:

Goto settings/accounts/sign in options

Towards the bottom, untick 'use my sign in info to auto finish setting up...'

Cannot help on windows 7, that operating system is from way back in the day and should not be on anyone's systems.

I have Win 10 Pro installed on my desk top box. The other day it updated itself and installed a new version of Edge.

Now Edge has been driving me nuts ever since I upgraded to Win 10 Pro, I hate the b****y thing. I have Google Chrome set as my default browser and never ever use Edge, but no matter what changes I make to settings etc., Edge opens automatically on startup. The new version is even more b*****y irritating as whatever I do it fills the entire screen on start up, like some piece of malignant malware. Yes, I can just minimise it and carry on but it is intensely irritating and I want it stopped!

A quick Google shows that this a common problem, and there are loads of suggested solutions involving changing Edge settings and startup menu settings etc. etc. but none of these work for me, as I can never find the b*****y menu settings, or they seem completely different to what others are describing. Why are Win 10 settings all over the b****y place? Why is it so sh1t?

You think that's bad, wait until you have to deal with Avast secure browser.

Just uninstall it like any other program. Type "Add or remove programs" in the search box, open "Add or remove programs", click on Microsoft Edge, click on the uninstall button. Done.

Just uninstall it like any other program. Type "Add or remove programs" in the search box, open "Add or remove programs", click on Microsoft Edge, click on the uninstall button. Done.
I've tried this route before. You can't, or at least I can't. The "uninstall" button is greyed out when I select Edge, and doesn't work. MS clearly don't want you to uninstall it or hide it away and are intent on making life as difficult as possible. I don't have this sort of trouble with Mint.

Not seeing the issue but have not seen it through, select edge from the start menu, right click and uninstall?

Not seeing the issue but have not seen it through, select edge from the start menu, right click and uninstall?

That provides the option. Won't follow through as I have no problems with it being on my PC. :)

Well the 'modify' button is available but after accepting 'yes' to modify Edge Windows does nowt.

Cheers,

DV

Try Linux Mint, Mike.
I already have it on dual boot Brian, its very good. I just need Windows for some old MS Office stuff. I suppose I should just convert it all and ditch Windows, which I promised myself I'd do when they ditched XP.

I've been using desk top computers since the days of CPM and MS DOS and I'm amazes that Win 10 is the best MS can come up with after all those years, at least for home use. Talk about cluttered.

advertisement

Back