advertisement

Rotel RCD965BX

say it as it is

pfm Member
Well inspired by some of the threads on here about older cd players I have taken a punt on an old rotel.
The drawer is sticking so have ordered a new belt and will get some silicone lube for the rails and mechanism.
So has anyone replaced the belt on an RCD965BX?
I have swapped mechanism on other CDs and replaced belts on Xbox dvd drives but not this player yet.

Anything else I should look out for or any other tweaks to bring this player up to date?

I have limited electronic knowledge but keen to learn

You can do loads of mods new opamps bypass the muting stage new clock, which is probably the first mod to do.

Pete

I have the same CD player which I no longer use as I've moved to streaming.
The drawer also stuck on mine but what I noticed was that if the player was switched on about half an hour before using the drawer functioned perfectly.

I assumed from experience with other cd and dvd drive is the belt slipping the highest load is at the start to drop the platter up or down the actual sliding or drawer is ok.
In the past the belt slipping heated up or git spun to a point where it gripped.
With other drives simply changing the bell fixed this

Hi belt was about £5 can't mind the company they were based abroad but quick delivery but loads of places online sell them same belt fits a few of them.
Take cover off and you will see it no problems.
As you can't slip the belt off with the drawer in place you can just unclip the motor if need to it just a spring clip leave wires attached. Unhook belt that leaves it attached to the drawer mechanism. You could unscrew the entire transport but I found if you were gentle you can slide the drawer out. Spin the larger white pulley by hand to open the drawer. Once outPout a bit if the belt is disconnected you can pull the drawer out by hand. White lever at the rear on the right hand side depress that manually and gently pull the drawer out you will hit the stop pull it out and downward at the front edge to disengage the sliders and gear track. Once out can access the belt swap in new one clip motor in I found it easier this way. And then rebuild slip the drawer back in ensuring all the rollers and guides are in place apply a little lube I used pure silicone and all good. You might need to gently pop the runners into place.
Not very well explained but kind of intuitive when you do it.

Hope that helps
Alan

Hi belt was about £5 can't mind the company they were based abroad but quick delivery but loads of places online sell them same belt fits a few of them.
Take cover off and you will see it no problems.
As you can't slip the belt off with the drawer in place you can just unclip the motor if need to it just a spring clip leave wires attached. Unhook belt that leaves it attached to the drawer mechanism. You could unscrew the entire transport but I found if you were gentle you can slide the drawer out. Spin the larger white pulley by hand to open the drawer. Once outPout a bit if the belt is disconnected you can pull the drawer out by hand. White lever at the rear on the right hand side depress that manually and gently pull the drawer out you will hit the stop pull it out and downward at the front edge to disengage the sliders and gear track. Once out can access the belt swap in new one clip motor in I found it easier this way. And then rebuild slip the drawer back in ensuring all the rollers and guides are in place apply a little lube I used pure silicone and all good. You might need to gently pop the runners into place.
Not very well explained but kind of intuitive when you do it.

Hope that helps
Alan

Thanks for the help Alan.

I have a 965BX Discrete in my main system and a standard 965BX boxed up in the attic for spare parts in case anything goes wrong with the Discrete. I’ll get a couple of belts and experiment with the standard one first.

regards,

Malcolm

Do you find much difference with the discrete to the regular version then?
If you need any assistance let me know far from an expert but as mechanical fitter I can suss out bits like that haha

I've just finished fitting a new drive mechanism belt to my 965BX Discrete. I hope Alan doesn't mind, but I've tidied up his instructions and added some photos which may help others.

There are a couple of sellers with replacement belts on eBay; I used this one and the service was lightning fast from Portugal to the U.K. (faster than RM 2nd Class!).

http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=333444553838

Here's my player:

Close-up of the motor:

One at a time, press and release the loops on the spring clip retaining the motor. Remove the clip and keep it safe.

Lift the motor out of its cradle:

Spin the larger white pulley to open the drawer. once it's slightly open press this white lever at the rear of the drive and gently slide the drawer out until it hits the stop.

The trickiest part for me was getting the old belt free of the rack and pinion arrangement. I used a pair of slim pliers to grip the lower end of the old belt and eased the pinion off the rack to remove the belt.

Fitting is the reverse of this process. Fit the belt to the large pulley, ease the lower end of the belt onto the rack and pinion, replace the motor in its cradle and secure it with the clip. Fit the belt onto the motor pulley. Lubricate the moving parts with a silicon-based product.

The drawer on mine now works perfectly!

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Not at all great description with photos think I used the same vendor for the belt no issues. Easy enough job I just found it easier to gently remove the drawer and gain better access but your guide is brilliant well done sir.
My 965 is now with my parents and they love it. I am sadly having to downsize due to job loss so might need to sell some of my toys

Thank you. I’m really sorry to hear of your loss of work, I hope it all works out for you.

I was concerned that I couldn’t get the drawer on mine to come out easily so I opted for the other path.

I found if you held down the white plastic lever on the right side rear with a gentle wriggle the drawer comes out same with refit just line up and will pop in with a little assistance.

great players for the money I must say

My main system is dismantled because we’re waiting for a new gas fire, surround, and mantle piece that we paid for in February to be installed next week. So I plugged the 965BX Discrete into my refurbished Creek 4140s2 with a pair of LS3/5A speakers; loaded up Joni Mitchell’s “Blue” and went into ecstasy throughout the whole album.

I tried to count the number of Black Gate capacitors in it, there are 14 on the Discrete board alone, and many more on the main PCB.

advertisement

Back