advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

Nigel

pfm Member
I recently watched an interview with the Greater Manchester Mayor, Andy Burnham. He was voicing his opinion that it was a mad decision to choose a Saturday as the pub reopening day. I enjoy a few pints but think I'll leave it a while yet. Expect it will be busy though. Drinkers gotta drink.

Earlier in the process people were critical of lifting lockdown restrictions on a week day as it encouraged people to act early.

Pubs have had a really hard time of late so I don’t mind this. People will probably misbehave but it’s not like we haven’t had issues before this.

I will be staying away though, probably until mid July.

Staying away, it will be chaos. Later in the week, maybe pop in. But I have no desire to be part of the second wave that's coming in a month.

No, I'm getting a haircut.

Our local pub has spent the last 2 weeks tripling the number on bench seats in their garden.

I'll be taking even more precautions over the next week or so, after last weekend's rush. Pub is definitely out.

I’ve been working as normal through the lockdown so things haven’t really changed for me, but the one thing I’ve really missed is being able to pop into the pub mid dog walk, or go for a nice weekend pub lunch with SWMBO.

However, I will not be going anywhere near them for at least a fortnight, to let the frenzy calm down. I might scope my local out after a week or so, it’s in a relatively sleepy rural location so might not be hit as hard.

It will be carnage on the night and when the infections kick in.

So no thank you. As much as I really want to go down the rubber and get a skinful, not in 2020.

As long as the public behave and act responsibly there shouldn't be a problem.

That's a big ask.

0_JS214180816.jpg
stream_img.jpg

Staying away, it will be chaos. Later in the week, maybe pop in. But I have no desire to be part of the second wave that's coming in a month.
Yes, I think people who are frantically booking holidays for mid-August are going to be a little disappointed to find themselves locked down again when the time comes.

Not a hope in hell am I going anywhere near a pub or any other enclosed space aside from my own home. Things are far more dangerous now the government have lost all control/will than at any previous time IMHO. It is essential to avoid considering political rhetoric as fact based. It is not, it is just guff, and dangerous guff at that.

The indisputable facts are:

a) The virus is unchanged.

b) It spreads exponentially.

c) There is no vaccine currently available.

d) Hospital treatment is not successful for many who catch it, especially those who are elderly or have underlying health issues.

Anyone in any doubt have a look at the infection and death curves in much of the USA right now. They are the object lesson in how not to handle things, and they have the advantage of vastly lower population density outside the major cities like New York, yet it is already firmly rooted in Texas, Florida etc.

I love my local but I will wait till Tuesday, I sense a tiny bit of chaos. The place I frequent is small to begin with and with rules and regulations I will be fascinated to see how things go.

I love my local but I will wait till Tuesday, I sense a tiny bit of chaos. The place I frequent is small to begin with and with rules and regulations I will be fascinated to see how things go.
I think the rules and regulations will be the first things to go. Within an hour, I’d guess.

Actually, if the house is getting a bit low on food, this week is the time to shop. Infection rates are currently low, e.g. York had no new cases last week or the week before. Other cities are mostly low too. Give it 2 weeks and it will have changed, so getting it sorted now is wise.

Most of my home town pubs (Sam Smiths) don't take cards (strictly cash only) and the owner banned phones, tablets etc some time ago. Should be interesting.

advertisement

Back