advertisement

Paul Weller

Vinny

pfm Member
I bought Wild Wood at the time of release and was so unimpressed that I have made no effort to keep tabs on what he has done since and probably not played Wild Wood much at all over the intervening (nearly) 30 years.

I have played the album two or three times recently and my impressions have changed markedly. So, based around the sound/style of Wild Wood, what else is particularly worth a listen?

114867538.jpg
;)

^^^ Not precisely what I had in mind, but a "famous"-enough album that I know barely at all, so worthy of investigation.

Anyone endorsing any other of Mr Weller's solo albums, apart from Wild Wood?

At the time, there were lots of comparisons to 'second-phase' Traffic's pastoral blue-eyed soul.

Back to Weller, I'd try Stanley Road next.

Last edited:
Stanley Road is class. Saw him twice recently.Once in Hyde Park where he bossed Marr, Kaiser Chiefs and even The Who.
Then in Leeds. He was Mega and played forever.A true great.

'Stanley Road' is a Classic album, not a bad track on it.

Also '22 Dreams' is good as well.

Have fun.:)

His solo output is a pretty high standard, he is much maligned for some reason.

If you have an original copy of Wild Wood on vinyl it is worth quite a few quid.

Stanley Road is excellent.

I think I will buy that album by Traffic also, never got round to it somehow.

If you have an original copy of Wild Wood on vinyl it is worth quite a few quid.

Gatefold sleeve a little worn around edges, with poster and 7 inch single. Probably the reissue from the same year as release.

Looks like Stanley Road then...

Mr Weller is a class act - my personal favourite is :-
A version of the same song exists with Tracey Thorn on vocals - which is also rather good.:)

I bought this not long after it came out and I still play it regularly. I am not a particular follower of Paul Weller although I have a few of his albums. I like Wild Wood a lot and can see/hear the Traffic influence on that album in a good way. It’s ironic that my LP of Wild Wood is worth more than my original John Barlycorn.

I saw him going into a chip shop in Chiswick a fair few years ago. A fairly small, elegant bloke got out of an enormous merc, hair and tan looking like a million dollars, and emerged from the chippie a moment later with what must have been his dinner all nicely wrapped up.
It all seemed a little like something from @The Almighty Boosh.
I've not stopped wondering if he had vinegar on his chips, and if it leaked out onto the passenger seat.
Left a lasting impression.

I saw him going into a chip shop in Chiswick a fair few years ago. A fairly small, elegant bloke got out of an enormous merc, hair and tan looking like a million dollars, and emerged from the chippie a moment later with what must have been his dinner all nicely wrapped up.
It all seemed a little like something from @The Almighty Boosh.
I've not stopped wondering if he had vinegar on his chips, and if it leaked out onto the passenger seat.
Left a lasting impression.
I can beat that.;)
Back in the day (mid 80's), as well as my day job,I worked a few evenings a week at a self service petrol station in Woking (needs must and all that).
In comes Mr. Weller chomping on a Granny Smith apple that he'd picked up on the way in - pays for his petrol whist continuing to eat his apple and then leaves with a smile on his face.
Did I call him back to pay for the apple? - not a chance.:)
In addition a regular at the garage was Chris Stainton (keyboards Eric Clapton) I'm embarrassed to admit that I didn't realise who he was until I watched Clapton's set at Live Aid!

Agree re: Stanley Road. Hadn't listened to it for more than 20 years, avoided it, I think assuming it was only successful because of the legendary modfather hype, nostalgia riding on the coat tails of Britpop, etc. I stuck it on a couple of months ago and felt like right berk; it's a cracking album. This makes me wonder what other neglected treasures I have in my collection?

Agree re: Stanley Road. Hadn't listened to it for more than 20 years, avoided it, I think assuming it was only successful because of the legendary modfather hype, nostalgia riding on the coat tails of Britpop, etc. I stuck it on a couple of months ago and felt like right berk; it's a cracking album. This makes me wonder what other neglected treasures I have in my collection?
Brit pop rode on his coat tails really but he certainly benefited from its association

advertisement

Back