advertisement

Trump Part 19

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next phase is complete the rebranding of the metastasised Republican Party as a Trump Party. Trump doesn’t “do” other brands. It’s likely he’s pushing for a one-party political America. I don’t even think he considers the legacy stuff either.

Reminder he has already been impeached, he will always be impeached, even if vindicated or otherwise, impeachment is a process and not a synonym for removal from office.

The next phase is complete the rebranding of the metastasised Republican Party as a Trump Party. Trump doesn’t “do” other brands. It’s likely he’s pushing for a one-party political America. I don’t even think he considers the legacy stuff either.

He also believes, despite being told that he's wrong many times, that as President he has unlimited powers and is, essentially, above the law. If he gets a second term, he'll be looking to extend his term in office ad infinitum, and imprison anyone who complains as an 'enemy of the people'.

I think Trump might seek a promise of legal immunity in return for stepping down if he ever does so.
Yes, I believe this is the most likely scenario or some "bone spurs health problem" which allows him to avoid the severe legal consequences of his criminality.

If he resigns, is it not Pence that would pardon him or can Trump pardon himself, a she maintains? I can easily see this happening but the SDNY & other investigations can't be pardoned

Yes, I believe this is the most likely scenario or some "bone spurs health problem" which allows him to avoid the severe legal consequences of his criminality.

If he resigns, is it not Pence that would pardon him? I can easily see this happening but the SDNY & other investigations can't be pardoned

Pence could pardon him if Trump resigns pre-election and Pence becomes President, as Ford did with Nixon. But I see no evidence that Trump is planning to resign.

Speaking of Ford, here's the mighty Hunter S Thompson on Ford's pardoning of Nixon:

'About five hours after I’d sent the final draft of a massive article on The Demise of Richard Nixon off on the mojo wire and into the cold maw of the typesetter in San Francisco, Gerald Ford called a press conference in Washington to announce that he had just granted a “full, free and absolute” presidential pardon, covering any and all crimes Richard Nixon may or may not have committed during the entire five and a half years of his presidency.

[...]

Or at least that’s how it sounded to me, when I was jolted out of a sweat-soaked coma on Sunday morning by a frantic telephone call from Dick Tuck. “Ford pardoned the bastard!” he screamed. “I warned you, didn’t I? I buried him twice, and he came back from the dead both times. … Now he’s done it again; he’s running around loose on some private golf course in Palm Desert.”

I fell back on the bed, moaning heavily. No, I thought. I didn’t hear that. Ford had gone out of his way, during his first White House press conference, to impress both the Washington press corps and the national TV audience with his carefully considered refusal to interfere in any way with Special Prosecutor Leon Jaworski’s legal duty to proceed on the basis of evidence and “prosecute any and all individuals.” Given the context of the question, Ford’s reply was widely interpreted as a signal to Jaworski that the former president should not be given any special treatment…. And it also meshed with Ford’s answer to a question in the course of his confirmation hearings in the Senate a few months earlier, when he’d said, “I don’t think the public would stand for it,” when asked if an appointed vice-president would have the power to pardon the president who’d appointed him, if the president were removed from office under criminal circumstances.

[...]

“Mother of babbling god!” I muttered. The word “deadline” caused my brain to seize up momentarily. Deadline? Yes. Tomorrow morning, about 15 more hours…. With about 90% of my story already set in type, one of the threads that ran all the way through it was my belief that nothing short of a nuclear war could prevent Richard Nixon’s conviction. The only thing wrong with that argument was its tripod construction, and one of the three main pillars was my assumption that Gerald Ford had not been lying when he’d said more than once, for the record, that he had no intention of considering a presidential pardon for Richard Nixon “until the legal process has run its course.”

Cazart! I hung up the phone and tossed my chart across the room. That rotten, sadistic little thief had done it again. Just one month earlier he had sandbagged me by resigning so close to the deadline that I almost had a nervous breakdown while failing completely…. And now he was doing it again, with this goddamn presidential pardon, leaving me with less than 24 hours to revise completely a 15,000 word story that was already set in type.'

That should never be granted, voted out then arrested. Nothing less.

I agree that it would be morally repugnant, but the authorities might consider letting him exit gracefully in order to avoid a spike in right wing domestic terrorism incidents.

Ideally let him and his repugnant family go build a compound in rural Idaho with some of his more violent followers. Then have the army corps of engineers build a wall around the compound.

To a narcissist they never lose, they simply construct a situation where something is stolen from them, If he “loses” he’ll claim electoral fraud.

Trump’s been rapid-fire posting/deleting white supremacist shit & fake “wanted” posters on Twitter much of last night, leaving it to disseminate through screen caps. He appears to be profoundly focussed on disinfo and making everything as murky as possible. It’s old form & predictable, but keeping watch as he’s still capable of altering tactics.

Or order in the tanks.

I agree that it would be morally repugnant, but the authorities might consider letting him exit gracefully in order to avoid a spike in right wing domestic terrorism incidents.

Ideally let him and his repugnant family go build a compound in rural Idaho with some of his more violent followers. Then have the army corps of engineers build a wall around the compound.
Now that's a wall I suspect Mexico would happily pay for...

Retiring to Russia is also an option though the Secret Service detail he will get might baulk at that idea.

Today's FT said Trump is losing support among white seniors.

There is a certain amount of shock when essentially what Trump tells senior citizens is: Drop dead, opening business is more important,” said Joe DiSano, a Democratic strategist in Michigan. “I don’t think that particular demographic quite expected that [they are] going to be ground in the gears of commerce. You can see folks recoil from that.”

And from a Trump voter: “I think he has done some good things,” Mr Plous said. “The problem is he's so clumsy and so crazy in what he says I think that what he's done is embarrass the country, and I don’t know if we can keep on with that . . . I just can’t put an ‘X' on that guy's name. There are just too many things that are major, major things that are so irritating that it goes from a hand grenade to an atomic bomb if you add them all together.”

It's wishful thinking bordering on delusion to think that Trump won't see out his term, or that the Trump Party will turn on him.

If he loses the election, the GOP will suffer a short period of mourning, then do an about face and pretend he never existed, whilst still doing exactly the same things as before. It will still be the Trump Party, just without Trump, and with some kinder-gentler lip service rhetoric.

“I don’t think that particular demographic quite expected that [they are] going to be ground in the gears of commerce. You can see folks recoil from that.”

Well .... duh ! Everyone outside of the top 1% who votes Republican is voting to be "ground in the gears of commerce". Senior citizens who vote for a party that is actively trying to remove what skimpy healthcare protections those under 65 have DESERVE to have their medicare taken away in the name of free market (Darwinian) capitalism.

Very fine people

ycb5gvvm

In hundreds of highly classified phone calls with foreign heads of state, President Donald Trump was so consistently unprepared for discussion of serious issues, so often outplayed in his conversations with powerful leaders like Russian President Vladimir Putin and Turkish President Recep Erdogan, and so abusive to leaders of America's principal allies, that the calls helped convince some senior US officials -- including his former secretaries of state and defense, two national security advisers and his longest-serving chief of staff -- that the President himself posed a danger to the national security of the United States, according to White House and intelligence officials intimately familiar with the contents of the conversations.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/06/29/politics/trump-phone-calls-national-security-concerns/index.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back