advertisement

Speeding Offences

Never had a bike, but I had a TVR griff a few years ago, first week of ownership, I approached a bend too quickly, also it was one of those bends that begin gradual and then curve round at an increasingly tight angle... I nearly binned it, had a real fight to stay on the tarmac... then headed straight home, slowly and shaking all the way. Learned that day that those cars need real respect, or they will kill you.

Also with a TVR it's not like you'd have been able to drive it often enough to get used to it, given the amount of time it'd have spent back at the dealers getting fixed... ;)

On of my former colleagues had one and a lovely looking and sounding thing it was, however he decided it was going to be his daily driver and it was quite a regular occurrence for him to call and say he wasn't able to make it in that day as the car was broken again.

Ah, if he kept dropping back and the blasting it to catch up, that’d probably explain it. Otherwise something must be really wrong for a speedo to read that far out.

Possibly, but many years ago I sometimes went on customer visits with the sales guy in his 2 litre MkIII Cortina (yes, it was that long ago) He always put his foot flat to the floor on motorways and got up to a steady indicated 110mph. on the one occasion where I followed him down the M4 I was at a steady indicated 85*, I`m pretty sure he wouldn`t have slowed down for my benefit.

I think that a lot of speedos can be wildly wrong at the higher speeds, especially back in the old days.

*This was more than forty years ago, Officer.

Also with a TVR it's not like you'd have been able to drive it often enough to get used to it, given the amount of time it'd have spent back at the dealers getting fixed... ;)

On of my former colleagues had one and a lovely looking and sounding thing it was, however he decided it was going to be his daily driver and it was quite a regular occurrence for him to call and say he wasn't able to make it in that day as the car was broken again.
It was/is still a pretty reliable motor, (I kept track of where it went after I sold it and when it came up for sale again a friend bought it, so I get to drive it occasionally, without the ownership costs, happy days), it’s just a tuned up rover V8 in a tube frame with no ABS, traction control or airbags, so not a lot to go wrong, only thing that ever left me on the side of the road was a corroded battery terminal, which with the delivery of tools from a mate, I fixed there and then, at no cost (apart from a pint for my mate)... they do suffer with a few electrical gremlins and interior build quality issues but I fixed those properly in the first winter and 12 years later, it’s only needed scheduled maintenance... I can’t speak for later TVR engined models, I think I’d be a bit more concerned about faults on those.

Definitely not a daily driver though. It was a very occasional car though because it was just too skittish to drive in anything other than perfect weather, I drove it in the rain once, driving back from Santa Pod, unexpected thunderstorm after an absolutely blazing day, I clenched my cheeks all the way home... I’m glad I bothered to switch back to my road tyres before heading back!

Never had a bike, but I had a TVR griff a few years ago, first week of ownership, I approached a bend too quickly, also it was one of those bends that begin gradual and then curve round at an increasingly tight angle... I nearly binned it, had a real fight to stay on the tarmac... then headed straight home, slowly and shaking all the way. Learned that day that those cars need real respect, or they will kill you.
Ha ha, the day I passed my test I did exactly the same in my old man's Maxi on set of bends which were no problem on a m/c at 60mph. Not in a Maxi, oh no. :)

Why do people moaning about speeding? If you've done it you've done it. Stop bleating and get your wallet out.

Have to say I totally agree with this.

If you get caught speeding, your observation simply wasn't good enough to be driving at that speed, no debate.

Secondly it gives all the 'speed kills' brigade another opportunity for an outing - and that topic is a toxic subject for debate, which nobody is ever going to win.

Had first motorway trip for a while (months) today, from the South Coast to Cambridge rtn, round the M25 (clockwise), M11, rest of the M25.
Started fairly early and the M25 was spookily quiet. It was like a French motorway, lovely (never thought I'd say that about the M25!).
Didn't seem to be any crazies on it, but the M11 was another matter. Couple of people pulled over by blues flashing lights and a couple of loonies on the way back must have been 140mph +. One was an X7...wouldn't want to be getting hit (or in the way of) that. Hope they got what they deserved, but I doubt it.

The older I get the less ultimate speed interests me. On the bike for me it’s about 2nd gear blips out of corners, nothing quite like a motorbike for that. Generally speaking I’m on the speed limit when conditions allow and maybe edging towards 80 on the motorway, something this bike is excellent at!

I think that is realistic. If she comes out with that, at least she still has her license.

Were you pleased that it was at least under a ton? :) On a bike?

On a half decent bike, a ton is nothing. I can still feel how easy 100+ felt on a 90's Fireblade.

My best mate had a go on a Fireblade, I was following. I could sense his surprise at how fast that first corner arrived. Skippy back wheel, but he managed to slow it down in a straight line before surviving the bend.
Over 18 years ago, but if I bring it up, he shudders.
Ha no. In a car working....I suppose my speedo read 100+ mph.

I just sold my fireblade.

Possibly, but many years ago I sometimes went on customer visits with the sales guy in his 2 litre MkIII Cortina (yes, it was that long ago) He always put his foot flat to the floor on motorways and got up to a steady indicated 110mph. on the one occasion where I followed him down the M4 I was at a steady indicated 85*, I`m pretty sure he wouldn`t have slowed down for my benefit.

I think that a lot of speedos can be wildly wrong at the higher speeds, especially back in the old days.

*This was more than forty years ago, Officer.

Reminds me of the Smiths speedo on my 350 Ducati back in the 70's. As you approached an indicated 80, the needle would start to go backwards so you never really knew how fast it was going except that it was faster than the front brake could really cope with.

True, a ton is nothing in a modern car or bike. Acceleration however is quite astonishing on a powerful motorcycle!

True, a ton is nothing in a modern car or bike. Acceleration however is quite astonishing on a powerful motorcycle!

Something everyone should experience, at least once.

Top speed was never my bag. But acceleration is as fun as it gets.

The bendy bits were and are still my favourite.

I used to do the Via Gellia repeatedly for years, back when the feds weren't everywhere.
Same with the Cat n Fiddle fun run.

I also did it on a pushbike, downhill is a blast on a cycle on an empty day (never nowadays) - we got some pace going.

Something everyone should experience, at least once.

Top speed was never my bag. But acceleration is as fun as it gets.

One problem with bikes though is that it doesn't take very long at all for all that acceleration to have you over the limit.

The bendy bits were and are still my favourite.

I've still got a couple of quicker bikes but our old Honda XBR500 is more my scene these days - blatting around at sensible speeds on the back-roads. Punchy out of corners but with no fairing you're not inclined to actually go all that fast.

I got a loan Suzuki SV650 from Cupar Motorcycles when my GSX1250FA was in for service. There really is something about a V twin bike, even one with almost half the capacity. It felt very light, maybe 50kg lighter than mine and the bottom end torque for a 650 was pretty good.
I may end up with that or something similar in the future as the GSX seems gets heavier every day I pull it out the garage (I think I’m just getting older!).
The fact you can open it up fully without doing stupid speeds is great fun as well!

About twenty years ago, driving south on the A1 Peterborough bypass in a very heavy rainstorm, I was passed at speed by a TVR whose driver didn't seem to think the state of the road was of any concern.
I came off the A1, and after about half an hour went round a bend in a country road to see a TVR in the same colour sat axle-deep about twenty yards into a ploughed field which was separated from the road by just a low bank. There were no tyre tracks between the bank and the car.
The driver was sat in the car. I stopped to see if he was okay. Physically, he was, but he had a very high embarrassment factor.

My daughter reckons she has been caught speeding on the M1.
Same happened to me. 47mph. Yes, you read that right. Forty seven mph. On the fking M1. No road works, no obstructions, they'd just put up the 40 signs and a few of us were too quick. I got a course, I worked out from others there that +7mph is the point at which you get told to come on a course. Nobody there was +6 or less. Also nobody there was more than about +12. I think that's ticket territory. +30 *used* to be the ban threshold but I think they have tightened this up now. I've heard of a couple of bans for 90-95 on the M way.

The general guide for ‘getting done’ for speeding is that it all starts at 10% +2 mph. So, I set the speed limiter in my car to 10% +1, knowing that in a 70 limit I’m doing about 76 or 77 real mph. I hate cruise control on our roads.

I hate cruise control on our roads.
Really? I use mine everywhere. I drive miles without using the pedals. Things slow down ahead, knock it off, slow down gradually, then "resume" and off you go. Hit a lower speed limit, knock it off again, at the new limit press "set" and that's you. I use it around town and all sorts. Now that I have an auto it's replaced "how far can I go without using the clutch" as the driver entertainment game of choice.

advertisement

Back