advertisement

Christmas Wine

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.evasolo.com/en/on-the-table/glass-and-wine/wine-carafes/decanter-carafe/567474/
"The decanter carafe brings out the best in the wine. When wine is poured into the carafe, it runs through small holes in the integrated funnel and down the inside walls of the carafe. This oxygenates the wine gently, effectively – and beautifully. Also, the large surface of the carafe further contributes to the oxygenation process.
The decanter carafe holds a bottle of wine and is 100% drip-free."

Found one of these in the cupboards at home, my wife was given it as a gift at work. I'll try it with a bottle of 2001 Musar tonight.

I imagine it will be similar to the £15 aerator gadget: gets air into the wine more quickly and wakes it up a bit. Probably easier to use though.
evasolo have some extraordinary wine glasses too. I wonder how some of MB's more rustic French wine producer friends would describe these Scandinavian designs...

Last edited:
evasolo have some extraordinary wine glasses too. I wonder how some of MB's more rustic French wine producer friends would describe these Scandinavian designs...
‘Bof.’ probably. Or something incomprehensible but obviously denigratory in the local patois. eternumviti’s mate in Minervois would probably have taken his bazooka to them.

A friend of mine had some whisky tumblers that were lopsided in all directions. You didn’t really know how much was in them, they were a different shape every time you took a sip and you never managed to put them back flat on the table. People who didn’t have to use them thought they were great.

‘Bof.’ probably. Or something incomprehensible but obviously denigratory in the local patois. eternumviti’s mate in Minervois would probably have taken his bazooka to them.

A friend of mine had some whisky tumblers that were lopsided in all directions. You didn’t really know how much was in them, they were a different shape every time you took a sip and you never managed to put them back flat on the table. People who didn’t have to use them thought they were great.

By all accounts (well, his) he used up all the ammo on the carignan.

So I take it that no one else has experienced a ‘fly’ problem, not even the resident forum comedian, sorry wine expert?

Vinegar flies are one of the winemaker's worst enemies. While red wines are actively fermenting in open-top fermenters, the carbon dioxide emitted is enough to keep flies at bay, but when fermentation ends and gas production subsides, flies in their thousands can land on the skins and taint the wine.27 Feb 2015
https://www.therealreview.com › wa...
Waiter, there's a fly in my wine! – The Real Review

So I take it that no one else has experienced a ‘fly’ problem, not even the resident forum comedian, sorry wine expert?

I do sometimes find that there are expired drosophila (the same vinegar flies I think) in the bottles when I forget to take some wine home and have to go minesweeping amongst the empties for dregs. I find that the slightly chewy texture they impart takes some of the pain off of the vinegary edge.

I do sometimes find that there are expired drosophila (the same vinegar flies I think) in the bottles when I forget to take some wine home and have to go minesweeping amongst the empties for dregs. I find that the slightly chewy texture they impart takes some of the pain off of the vinegary edge.

Were you listening to Jimi or Kylie at the
time?
Researchers discovered that a blast of Jimi Hendrix enhanced cabernet sauvignon while Kylie Minogue went well with chardonnay.

My flies are still living, I'm beginning to think that they're in the bottles and when the corks are drawn they come out or at least one of them does.

I've drunk red wine for about 45 years and it's only in the past year that I've noticed this issue and it's been relatively rare ie about maybe four times, most of the wine we buy, probably about 90% of it, is from Aldi.

I wonder if some of their red wine suppliers are a wee bit dodgy?

The wine last night was an Australian Merlot, 2018 I think without checking the bottle.

Were you listening to Jimi or Kylie at the
time?
Researchers discovered that a blast of Jimi Hendrix enhanced cabernet sauvignon while Kylie Minogue went well with chardonnay.

I'm usually driven to minesweeping when I listen to Kate Bush. As for the variety, it is often not possible to allocate a colour, let alone the grape. In order to get enough to drown out the squawking Kate it is necessary to create a sort of field blend, red, white, with and without flies.

Nothing yet. I'm going to try this sample of a still relatively rare 'bio' wine from Bordeaux, replete with trendily stripped down étiquette, with a rib-eye & salad.

ZjXttx.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back