advertisement

Lp12 for Technics 1210 ideas

You’ve got a superb LP12, keep it.

Agree. There is no way I'd sell a turntable I liked for the reasons you've given. Three kids with a turntable in easy reach, never touched it. You teach the kids what they can't and can't do. If you don't you'll have much bigger problems that your turntable getting damaged!

Using a bouncy turntable might take a little more practice but it's hardly a chore. Surely if you wife loves music she'll want it to sound good? Just tell her all other turntables will sound worse, job done ;0)

I use both a lower range LP12 - Akito -AT95 E and a Rega Fono 2 phono stage combination in 1 system and a Technics SL1210 with stock arm and Linn K9 in another.
No experience of the later 1210 's but enjoy using both decks.
Love the LP12 with classical and it 's delicacy and atmosphere on recordings.
The 30 year old Technics is rock solid in pitch but lacks the Linns slightly warm sound.
I would get the LP 12 serviced and go from there.

The lp12 was serviced in recent times! It’s maybe a bit more of me wanting to change due to my huge collection of house etc that spans 30 years & using them on anlp12 seems a bit wasted where as I can use a 1210 with a nice cart etc for listening to albums etc & with a DJ cart for all my old house/dance etc! So what would be a realistic asking price for my lp12! I can always get another later down the line if I don’t get on with the technics!
Would anyone have any interest in my lp12 here or would it be worth putting on the classifieds here? Based in East Sussex.

I used to have a pair of 1210 mk2’s as well as LP12 and regret selling them...However I do miss 1210’s more as I used them professionally (despite LP12 being special in my heart). If I was in your situation I’d go for it. You should be able to get a nice 1210 mk2 for the money you sell LP12 and possibly have some £’s left over. Perhaps I am a little bit biased but I think you’ll probably start enjoying your vinyl collection again.

Hi all, I be currently got a linn lp12 pre circus, basik plus, grado prestige black & lingo 1 that I’m am trying to sell. I am very happy with the sound but I need something more robust with a 5 year old in the house & something that the better half can use with confidence! I have a lot of records in my collection in various conditions from a lot of genres but mainly electronic/ funk/ hip hop/ house based with a very varied 80s- present general pop/rock/metal. I have 2x Stanton decks in system2 but used to have 1210s mk2 years ago. I want something plug and play so the boss can also use the txt without being scared of breaking it! How would a 1210mk7 /1210gr or a pioneer plx1000 fare against my linn with a nice mm cartridge???
Rest of my system is naim nac202/ nap200/Napsc/ hicap2 with neat momentum sx3i/rel t7 sub. Any ideas are welcome. Or would I be better off with a Rega dec? Budget will be whatever I can get for my current tt & a bit of cash so £1400 cash tops?! Also tt is on a wall shelf.
Thanks in advance
I'm sure you would miss the LP12. If you go the Technics route check out the Timestep web site they take the Technics to a whole diffrent audio level.

Agree that with your vinyl collection a 1210 seems the way to go. If you could hang on to the LP12 as well, in the short term at least whilst you try the Techy, that would be the ideal.

However, that Pioneer you linked to looks great and the Stereophile review is full of praise. I'd be extremely tempted seeing as it's half the price of a 1210GR.

Did a similar move. Pre Cirkus LP12/Valhalla/Ittok to 1210mk3. I loved the bombproof simplicity of the 1210. Truly 'fit and forget', but as standard it had a much darker sound with none of the LP12s more holographic soundstage. To get some of that back I needed to put better feet on, a better mat, rewire the arm and put a KabUSA fluid damper on it with a better headshell. Then it started to sound right.

If you're committed to selling the Linn (think hard, I regretted letting mine go in some ways but not in others) then I'd reckon it would fetch maybe £1200 if in tip-top condition. I'd look for an ex dem 1200GR, stick a fluid damper on the arm and one of the mid range AT MMs and enjoy. I wouldn't go for the older 1200s now, too much faffing to get them where the 1200GR is as standard.

Did a similar move. Pre Cirkus LP12/Valhalla/Ittok to 1210mk3. I loved the bombproof simplicity of the 1210. Truly 'fit and forget', but as standard it had a much darker sound with none of the LP12s more holographic soundstage. To get some of that back I needed to put better feet on, a better mat, rewire the arm and put a KabUSA fluid damper on it with a better headshell. Then it started to sound right.

If you're committed to selling the Linn (think hard, I regretted letting mine go in some ways but not in others) then I'd reckon it would fetch maybe £1200 if in tip-top condition. I'd look for an ex dem 1200GR, stick a fluid damper on the arm and one of the mid range AT MMs and enjoy. I wouldn't go for the older 1200s now, too much faffing to get them where the 1200GR is as standard.

Agreed that the stock deck is dark and lacking air but i found the arm rewire really transformed it in this respect. I do also have the Isonue feet and Achromat, but i found that these only brought marginal improvements. Haven't gone the external PS route or fluid damper yet as once i hit on the right cart and headshell things really started to gel.

I would also agree that the GR gets most of this right to begin with so if the OP can find a s/h version they could be in for a treat.

I don’t understand what is difficult about using an LP12, especially on a wall shelf. The queuing mechanism works, dead easy.

Going from a Linn LP12 to a Technics 1200 is at most a side moving.

To really improve you should take a Well Tempered.

Otherwise a Rega P9 or RP8 would be a great solution.

OP isn't looking to "improve" it's so his other half will spin vinyl without faff, which they won't on his LP12

A MM means flipping a knackered stylus is easier too and not as costly as wiping out a MC

Don’t regret selling my LP12, bought 1210GR at a great price from Richer. No regrets, no going back.
The Techies good from the box but better changing the headshell and mat and decent set of cables. And you have a warranty buying new. Can’t see the point in older Techies unless getting dirt cheap. The GR is so good for the money.

Going from a Linn LP12 to a Technics 1200 is at most a side moving.

To really improve you should take a Well Tempered.

Otherwise a Rega P9 or RP8 would be a great solution.

I totally agree in terms of absolute sound quality, but the OP wanted something easy to use. I'd venture the WT is a bit of a delicate flower in that department, genius though it is.

Don’t regret selling my LP12, bought 1210GR at a great price from Richer. No regrets, no going back.
The Techies good from the box but better changing the headshell and mat and decent set of cables. And you have a warranty buying new. Can’t see the point in older Techies unless getting dirt cheap. The GR is so good for the money.

What headshell and mat would improve GR ?

Thanks

advertisement

Back