advertisement

The John Westlake/Lakewest MDAC/FDAC, VFET and Detox

Just floating an idea here...some may not appreciate it but let's try. If the DAC projects could be dropped as technology have moved on...is there some way to focus on the VFET amps and move funds around? This for sure wouldn't please everyone and without knowing the split of funds between Detox, DACs and VFETs it's hard to know whether this could even be a starter.

Doubt that would work, personally I would accept my losses on the dac and detox and just recover my vfet costs in full

And get on with my life

For those interested this is the Model Railway company thread I was referring too. There is a much longer one elsewhere on that site from the period up to and post it going bust.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/i...dels-company-wound-up-and-liquidation-closed/

Not saying this is the same situation but I think there are similarities.

Thanks, Flapland :

Just floating an idea here...some may not appreciate it but let's try. If the DAC projects could be dropped as technology have moved on...is there some way to focus on the VFET amps and move funds around? This for sure wouldn't please everyone and without knowing the split of funds between Detox, DACs and VFETs it's hard to know whether this could even be a starter.

Clive it's ok floating an idea but there is no real clarity, or anything concrete as far as i can see, without some kind of time scheduled or map of where we're going we're all lost.

I’m finding all of this very curious, is it 2016/7? The project had died by then, John had been asked to refund and refused, suggestions had been made about project management etc- all refused. Loyal fans continued to believe John was doing his best (whatever that means). When was the actual project sold to Project?

People ask whether the dac is to be a board replacement for the Mdac- to which the answer is Yes, No, Yes, No, Yes. It’s one of the things that changes whenever an excuse is due.

There's the Stack Audio link that's the Detox...I'm glad to see my development money (and yours) going to such a good cause...

link-page-img1.png

"Theo created the electronics that run this software and designed the casework for the small but perfectly formed Link, but he called in an industry big gun in John Westlake to help. John created the signal detox system that removes noise from the signal, reducing the jitter and EMI that are the flies in the ‘perfect sound forever’ ointment of digital audi
o"

Then there's the Project RS Dac, i'm guessing the Dac board would have been small enough to slot right into the MDAC case, hand, models own...hmmm

118project.dac_.jpg

When was the actual project sold to Project?

I feel this is really important.

It certainly appears that the design concepts that we were sold and then funded, actually ended up in commercial products that JW had a hand in designing. Either that or it's a remarkable coincidence.

It makes it all seem somewhat dishonest.

It certainly appears that the design concepts that we were sold and then funded, actually ended up in commercial products that JW had a hand in designing. Either that or it's a remarkable coincidence.

It makes it all seem somewhat dishonest.

It was made clear from the start that we didn’t have sole access to anything John designed.

On the Project RS Dac...

"Yes its Jareks and my design - the original basis of the design is our FDAC / MDAC2 XMOS "software" development board.

Sadly the first production batch (and being reviewed) was manufactured without our approved components (Note the Pink / Silver organic capacitors) - and a few other changes.

I brought this to Heinz attention and he's insured me that changes will be made and correct parts used in the future production. As a designer, no one likes to see unapproved design changes - I was VERY surprised at the "political" issues we faced working with a Czech / Slovak production company's - it does make me appreciate working in China more and its kind of sad to say that!

Using my contacts I ordered the correct capacitors - so it appear Heinz a man of his word :) and I very much appreciate that :)

Its a good little DAC, Dual ESS9038Q2M, Multi regulated PSU, Polypropylene capacitors and precision MELF resistors etc... but you have to consider its small size and theres only so much that can be squeezed into such as design and yet still keeping it simple for production in Europe.

You want a small no nonsense DAC for your Office / Bedroom etc its perfect.

Supports MQA and is Roon certified...

The DAC really appreciates a good clean PSU - and works very well with the Detox.

Its also works well with DSD :) DSD performance has been much improved with the new Hyperstream II DAC's from ESS - I'm glad that we are able to use the latest Hyperstream II devices in MDAC2 / FDAC."

Hmmm...

I hate to say it but FWIW my view is you guys need to get hold of a good lawyer.

I’m not sure that would achieve much. It would appear that the initial investment from 7 years has been spent, and there was no written contract in the first place. The only outcome I can see from getting a lawyer involved is a large legal bill.

It was made clear from the start that we didn’t have sole access to anything John designed.

Does that also give him the right to treat us the way he has ?

specifically, taking our funding to assist ( either directly or indirectly) in selling a product for which he was then further remunerated for ?

and we still have nothing ourselves !

I’m not sure that would achieve much. It would appear that the initial investment from 7 years has been spent, and there was no written contract in the first place. The only outcome I can see from getting a lawyer involved is a large legal bill.

That's alright then, everyone forget about it! :rolleyes:

Possibly. I was reacting in part to the suggestion that intellectual property paid for by crowdfunding with a clear promise of physical product delivery had then been sold commercially to another company without fulfilling that clearly stated obligation. I’d like to know a legal view on that.

Does that also give him the right to treat us the way he has ?

specifically, taking our funding to assist ( either directly or indirectly) in selling a product for which he was then further remunerated for ?

Well, I guess it does. I think at the time I suggested we should have the option of getting a Project DAC at cost and the project be knocked on the head. Not ideal for anyone, but better that what we’ve had so far.

advertisement

Back