advertisement

Stock Market 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are some pretty big swings around. The markets don’t currently seem too worried about this mini outbreak in China. I get the feeling that moving forward, we’re just going to have to live with and adapt to this thing and the world will keep turning.

^^ I still think we’re in for a big bout of inflation.

In the areas I monitor, I’ve noticed residential properties coming onto the market are at complete joke pricing. Will be interesting to see if they sell!

Just Googled a chart of the FTSE 100 - around 7000 in 2000, around 6200 in 2020. This compares poorly with the S&P 500, for example. Why is the FTSE is stuck?

Just Googled a chart of the FTSE 100 - around 7000 in 2000, around 6200 in 2020. This compares poorly with the S&P 500, for example. Why is the FTSE is stuck?

The disparity is less stark if you factor in dividend reinvestment between the two indices.

Worth taking the time to listen to this guy. China reacted so strongly to that recent Beijing market outbreak because those that have recovered from the 'middle' strain are not necessarily immune to the 'lastest' strain. Food for though.

Also, Trumps got it covered. Nothing to see here...

srsfnEl.jpg

High gold price means that the market knows that governments are printing money

Why I've been going on about Gold, Silver and the miners (GDX) for months.

You might not get rich on it but I think there are less volatile gains in the short to medium term.

Worth taking the time to listen to this guy. China reacted so strongly to that recent Beijing market outbreak because those that have recovered from the 'middle' strain are not necessarily immune to the 'lastest' strain. Food for though.

Better source here (not from a permabear):
https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-ev...2-choe-farzan-coronavirus-spike-mutation.html

"Encouragingly, the duo found that immune factors from the serum of infected people work equally well against engineered viruses both with and without the D614G mutation. That’s a hopeful sign that vaccine candidates in development will work against variants with or without that mutation, Choe says."

So the D614G mutation appears to make COVID-19 more infectious, but there is no evidence that it results in higher mortality, and there is evidence that immunity to non-D614G protects against D614G.

S&P 500 had to endure those events as well.

(i) Lower dividends in the S&P500 and that money being used to invest in further internal S&P growth,
(ii) US technology multinationals (e.g the FAANG type companies) huge growth makes up a significant part of S&P performance - we don't have any companies of that scale
(iii) 4 years of Brexit uncertainties
(iv) Multi-billions of Fed money printing (QE) effectively being used to buy back shares

My take on this anyway. Apart from the strong FAANG-types, a US correction is long overdue, but the Fed just keeps on printing.....

Better source here (not from a permabear):
https://www.scripps.edu/news-and-ev...2-choe-farzan-coronavirus-spike-mutation.html

"Encouragingly, the duo found that immune factors from the serum of infected people work equally well against engineered viruses both with and without the D614G mutation. That’s a hopeful sign that vaccine candidates in development will work against variants with or without that mutation, Choe says."

So the D614G mutation appears to make COVID-19 more infectious, but there is no evidence that it results in higher mortality, and there is evidence that immunity to non-D614G protects against D614G.

Yeah, that guy is a bit of a bear.

It's tricky to know what to believe ATM

Yeah, that guy is a bit of a bear.

It's tricky to know what to believe ATM

It is - the only country with extensive experience of the original COVID-19 strain is China and I don't believe their statistics at all. It could be a combination of D614G mutation's greater infectiousness, and possibly greater mortality, combined with China not being entirely truthful with their COVID statistics that make the European / North American outbreaks seem so much more deadly.

The rising cases in the post-lockdown states in the US tell me that the economy is in a real pickle until an vaccine is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back