advertisement

Keir Starmer sacks RL-B

That range runs all the way from right wing to extreme right wing.
Fair point but the main editorial of the paper is not, hence the range of opinion. If it makes you feel any better Maxine Peake is in there today giving it the full pro-Corbyn tilt.

Stammer just sacked RLB.
Wow just read that. I think it is to do with re-sharing the interview Maxine Peake gave to the ‘I’, he had no choice really as it is also very critical of Sir K.

At the very least a massive lack of judgment from her.

I happened to watch the PMQ and think that the grauniad has nailed it quite accurately. Boris lacked his 'baying crowd cover' and it showed. Perhaps this is why Greasy Reely-Smug has been so keen on forcing MPs to come back to Parliament.

Starmer always seems to have a 'slightly anxious' look. Which can be used against him on TV or in carefully chosen "bacon sandwich" pics in the tory press. But it seems to me the look he has when thinking about exposing the drivel spouted out by Boris and his 'hang together or hang seperately' chums.

Reminded me of some comments in Comrade Ken's autobiog about Boris always relying on bluster and never ever reading paperwork, so never have a clue about any substance.

All is not what it seems...
Rebecca Long-Bailey
@RLong_Bailey

4.I wished to acknowledge these concerns and duly issued a clarification of my retweet, with the wording agreed in advance by the Labour Party Leader’s Office, but after posting I was subsequently instructed to take both this agreed clarification and my original retweet down.

I guess I missed what the anti-Semitic bit of the interview was - I'm assuming it was more than the (possibly ill-informed) criticism of the US and Israel.

Maxine Peake would of course have been commenting on these kinds of stories - I link to this that reproduces an Amnesty report (in good faith)

https://crescent.icit-digital.org/a...tics-in-israel-says-amnesty-international-usa

and the amnesty report (slow link today)

https://www.amnestyusa.org/with-who...-with-a-chronic-human-rights-violator-israel/

Here is a link to a photo,with pretty damning evidence of the knee on the neck - I'll link to it so you choose whether of not you wish to view. It's done to restrict the flow of oxygenated blood, via to carotid artery, to the brain

https://www.middleeasteye.net/news/israel-us-police-training-end-knee-neck-protests

Rebecca Long-Bailey
@RLong_Bailey

4.I wished to acknowledge these concerns and duly issued a clarification of my retweet, with the wording agreed in advance by the Labour Party Leader’s Office, but after posting I was subsequently instructed to take both this agreed clarification and my original retweet down.
She was at best very naive to retweet the article. Even without the alleged AS it was very undermining of the new leader.

Personally I would be perfectly happy for her to still be in the Shadow Cabinet but he had little option really.

She was at best very naive to retweet the article. Even without the alleged AS it was very undermining of the new leader.

Personally I would be perfectly happy for her to still be in the Shadow Cabinet but he had little option really.

Why? See my post above - it isn't anti-semitic (or indeed inappropriate) to comment on something that has apparently been raised previously by Amnesty and is in the public domain. The Amnesty link has been censored within the Guardian comments this afternoon we are told.

It is interesting and I would agree there is likely to be more to it than a tweet. Starmer seems to be making more progress than I expected in steadily working to bring back a viable labour party. Early days obviously and we still don't really know where he wants to go with policy or his intended role for the hard left within the labour party.

It is highly annoying that the Independent have redacted Maxine Peak’s comments regarding the AA report (link), so I don’t know exactly what she said or exactly how she phrased it, and that is clearly important. That said I can’t believe that RLB lost her job by simply re-Tweeting/plugging a household name actress’s interview in a highly respected mainstream newspaper. An actress who is also one of her constituents. RLB’s Twitter account is here. She just doesn’t do daft-Tweets. I don’t agree with her on everything by any stretch, but to my eyes she really did not deserve this. A fundamentally stupid decision by Labour IMHO.

All this on a day where the news should be all about a totally corrupt Tory MP selling a £40m tax-break for £12k in his party’s back pocket makes it even more incomprehensible.

It is interesting and I would agree there is likely to be more to it than a tweet. Starmer seems to be making more progress than I expected in steadily working to bring back a viable labour party. Early days obviously and we still don't really know where he wants to go with policy or his intended role for the hard left within the labour party.
Yes, there’s more to it. There’s the small matter of further distancing the party from the unions.

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/1276156851621593088?s=21

As you know h.g., if you want to rebalance society in favour of the 99%, it’s first necessary to get rid of any individual that actually wants to do this, and disempower any institution capable of effecting it.

Another sensible and moderate move from Sir Keir.

Why? See my post above - it isn't anti-semitic (or indeed inappropriate) to comment on something that has apparently been raised previously by Amnesty and is in the public domain. The Amnesty link has been censored within the Guardian comments this afternoon we are told.
Well, personally I think it is something of a dog whistle, albeit a faint one.

My other point about the article being critical of both Sir K & the implied criticism of ex-Labour voters left him with no choice really.

I really dislike the tone of the interview to be honest. You don’t really get anywhere by berating people for not agreeing with your own definition of what ‘left wing’ means.

I still don't see the point of re-tweeting something that was published in a mainstream newspaper that's freely available online. If I re-tweeted an interview that was highly critical of my boss, I'd expect to be sacked. So I wouldn't do it.

advertisement

Back