advertisement

The 'Wagatha Christie' affair is far from over ...

Compared to "Should human life continue?" it's not so bad. What else is amusing these days? Well apart from them with null and void. :D

Aye I read that thread, mental.

The season, if it goes ahead, is going to be payback time mate:)

Had a similar thing happen outside last night but there was no lawyers involved just more females screaming expletives and fists thrown. Entertaining twenty five minutes though 10 oclockish.

'I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.'

And that's just in Cheshire.

Naah, if he'd been to Cheshire he'd certainly have added the Onyx balustrading and acres of decking to his list. Might even have knocked the Tannhäuser Gate out of contention.

Amusingly, and even ironically, I've never seen Bladerunner.
Don't worry, it's a lot more style than substance. As an avid science fiction reader since the age of ten (I blame my father), I found it unoriginal and reliant on "atmosphere" more than an original story line.

It is quite entertaining, gives people the opportunity to say “I’ve never heard of her” so validating their high cultural status.
Spending your life doing cultural stuff, and therefore missing other stuff by coincidence, is not a fault IMO.

Don't worry, it's a lot more style than substance. As an avid science fiction reader since the age of ten (I blame my father), I found it unoriginal and reliant on "atmosphere" more than an original story line.
Did they "Dick" around with the original story?

Spending your life doing cultural stuff, and therefore missing other stuff by coincidence, is not a fault IMO.
Well, different people like different things, it is possible to like ‘cultural stuff’ (I do) & yet still find trivial things diverting. Pointing out our that you are above such things is bordering snobbery but we are all guilty of that to greater or lesser degrees.

As I predicted, people are quick to comment about things which they have no interest in; something of an affectation.

Back when I'd not long started my PhD, the Bexit vote had just happened. A bunch of us PhD students had a meeting to discuss something or other, and over lunch people started lamenting the Brexit result. Then someone said 'Brexit is too depressing. Let's talk about something else.' The 'something else' turned out to be Game of Thrones, about which I knew nothing, so, in Dr Johnson's phrase, 'I abstracted my mind and considered Tom Thumb'. I'm not sure what that proves exactly'; perhaps that Games of Thrones appeals as much to highbrows as to anyone else.

Well, different people like different things, it is possible to like ‘cultural stuff’ (I do) & yet still find trivial things diverting. Pointing out our that you are above such things is bordering snobbery but we are all guilty of that to greater or lesser degrees.

As I predicted, people are quick to comment about things which they have no interest in; something of an affectation.

I find trivia a waste of energy. Nothing about being superior, but a simple fact. It is not that I am above trivia, but simply that I abhor it as a complete waste of my time - waste of finite energy resources. I am no snob; I certainly cannot afford to be! National Minimum Wage etc. The Council Tax is the same though. ...

What fascinates me, and why I posted, is the simple question, "Why would anyone would be interested in people famous for no other beneficial reason than being famous [apparently famous], so that the BBC wastes time putting such trashy stories among the serious News Of The Day?" That is the nub of it, I think. "Why does our national news broadcaster think this is news-worthy?" So far the BBC has almost completely ignored the India-China border crisis and fighting that has result in the death of soldiers in the last four weeks. Rather more significant I would say given the World situation today.

So please do not judge that your admitted snobbery [in the sense that "we" means "you others and myself"] exists in others where it may not, and in some cases certainly does not.

Best wishes from George

I find trivia a waste of energy. Nothing about being superior, but a simple fact. It is not that I am above trivia, but simply that I abhor it as a complete waste of my time - waste of finite energy resources. I am no snob; I certainly cannot afford to be! National Minimum Wage etc. The Council Tax is the same though. ...

What fascinates me, and why I posted, is the simple question, "Why would anyone would be interested in people famous for no other beneficial reason than being famous [apparently famous], so that the BBC wastes time putting such trashy stories among the serious News Of The Day?" That is the nub of it, I think. "Why?"

So please do not judge that your admitted snobbery [in the sense that "we" means "you others and myself"] exists in others where it may not, and in some cases certainly does not.

Best wishes from George
Poor people can be snobs as well;)

You have just wasted further energy commenting on something that you have no interest in.

Strangely, once in a blue moon, I find trivia fascinating as a commentary on modern society!

That you replied, I find "completely" fascinating.

It will not last. I have quite a short attention span for trivia!:)

Best wishes from George

To be fair, posting on pfm doesn't use much energy, unlike pruning the wisteria, which is what I 'should' be doing.

Though I'm not in favour of the BBC covering the sort of sleb gossip that's best left to the tabloids, I don't mind using a thread like this as a springboard to more interesting discussions.

advertisement

Back