advertisement

Building the Ergo E-IX mini-monitor loudspeaker system

James, I notice that on both versions the series cap on the tweeter is rather small, is this compensation for the wave guide?

James, I notice that on both versions the series cap on the tweeter is rather small, is this compensation for the wave guide?
It's been more than 10 years since I designed this, so I honestly can't remember. The wave guided response was obviously taken into account as I designed the XO with measured data. You will have to trust that 3.3uF for the tweeter generates the right transfer function to meld seamlessly with the mid-woofer.

Thanks Joel.

You've got all the drivers already then?
I'd just like to remind those sourcing their own drivers that Scan-speak has a few 15W variants. The correct one for the E-IX is 15W/8530-K01. It is the one with the small magnet.

Extend the sides down to the floor and fit a base.

That's sort of what I was thinking with my earlier post to James about a floorstander version using a parasitic bass enclosure as in the Rega Alya.

Goodness knows how I'd model the lower box and port though. Wish I'd done the Acoustic Engineering course at Uni....

Name : Mike Hanson
Forum Name: Mike Hanson
Cabinet kit : Yes
Drivers : Yes, provided shipping isn't stupidly expensive
Crossover components : Yes
Crossover build and test : Yes/maybe
Cabinet/full build : No

Goodness knows how I'd model the lower box and port though. Wish I'd done the Acoustic Engineering course at Uni....
There can only be one outcome supplementing a sealed 2nd order loudspeaker system with a ported 4th order bass unit, and it's not a good one. I can only encourage you to reconsider, or at the very least if you must try, have a way of disconnecting the latter. The E-IX has a balance of bass quality and quantity that belies its homegrown roots and diminutive size.

This was the last pair I made for Jeff A, shipped across the Pacific Ocean and arrived intact (just). I think the plain finish, sans bolts on the front, looks best.

ACtC-3e3zOODmQZ_93L0oXH1TU2Gx5J4ToGYJXnh6FcMr0uIa6SNLimFK5aIiHbp3KhsPItDRIKtx91rHzCnImBMuFhLvvdfGd9cOZaxwynQOkCLwDG_Pc2EuEQwYYPsq_bm0L_8LoVbYmYpJ1H95M4mwqb5=w1024-h685-no
Still used multiple hours daily, extended more during lockdown and retirement. Just passed 11 years since they arrived. Still pristine condition excepting the postal service caused 1/4" slightly flattened rear corner on one. Currently used with a Peachtree Nova 150 amp/dac. Hope you are doing well, James.

There can only be one outcome supplementing a sealed 2nd order loudspeaker system with a ported 4th order bass unit, and it's not a good one.

Yup, think I'll leave that to the Alya's and if I ever manage to build a pair of Ergo's I'll just extend them to the ground with an 'integrated stand' and use it to house the crossovers.

Last edited:
Still used multiple hours daily, extended more during lockdown and retirement. Just passed 11 years since they arrived. Still pristine condition excepting the postal service caused 1/4" slightly flattened rear corner on one. Currently used with a Peachtree Nova 150 amp/dac. Hope you are doing well, James.
Has it really been 11 years?! I’m glad they are in daily use, Jeff. Long may they continue to give you musical joy. I’m doing well, thanks.

Hi Joel, they can, however you might find it works out just as cheap by the time we take into account any discount I can get.

I am a sucker for James cabs

Name : Gareth Cutting
Forum Name: cutting42
Cabinet kit : no
Drivers : yes
Crossover build and test : no
Location UK

I am a sucker for James cabs
LOL!

I'm tempted to build another pair for myself, but with the wall-mount XO and in-line driver array. I think there's enough Sapele left in my stash and all the XO components I need. Stefan, how much will it cost to ship a set of drivers to me in New Zealand?

LOL!

I'm tempted to build another pair for myself, but with the wall-mount XO and in-line driver array. I think there's enough Sapele left in my stash and all the XO components I need. Stefan, how much will it cost to ship a set of drivers to me in New Zealand?

That's a good point, I was going to use them in my office which needs a wall mount. Is the XO very different? Should I pull out of the XO GB?

Edit, I see that it is for the wall mount version, carry on.

Hi All,

I have Ergo's but am interested in the freestanding XO, so:

Name : Martin Carrington
Forum Name: MartinC
Cabinet kit : no
Drivers : no
Crossover components : Yes (Free standing)
Crossover build and test : no (But yes to circuit board if available)
Location USA

Thanks

Name : Richard Swan
Forum Name: Logic800
Cabinet kit : No
Drivers : Yes
Crossover build and test : No

Good afternoon all, sorry this took a while, it takes ages going through all the trade price lists from all the manufacturers.

Cabinet wise, these normally work out at £281.95 plus VAT for a flat pack pair including damping material, rear panel binding posts (Jantzen gold plated high quality jobbies), Van Damme OFC HiFi speaker cable, all the screws, bolts and threaded inserts you need and some neoprene gasket for the rear baffle. I’m not including glue in the kits cost because some of you are overseas and it’s a prohibited item. I can do that separately though if needed. I can get the price for this down to £240 plus VAT assuming everyone on the list that wanted one goes ahead. For those who want built cabinets I can do that for £100 plus VAT

The drivers and crossovers I am going to withdraw from, actually Falcon have got the drivers down to about 10% markup over the factory pricing so by even if I sold them to you guys for the same price they have them for, I'd be making a loss by the time I fannied around and packaged them up etc. Similarly with the caps, coil and resistors, being low value items there is only pennies in it once I have packed everything up and sent it out. You are best going to HiFi collective for these. I feel I have led you down the garden path a little with this, normally there is at least 25% mark up on drivers so it's doable. I'm not quite sure why Falcon have got such little mark up at the moment but I'd get these while they've got them if I were you.

advertisement

Back