advertisement

Rega dealers - Channel Islands

wiresandmore

pfm Member
Hi

I am contemplating buying something from Rega for my sister who lives in the Channel Islands. Are there issues sending things there with the different VAT/Duty vs. elsewhere in the UK.

Surprisingly I don’t see any Rega dealers listed in the Rega network based there - so assuming this might be a bit trickier than I first thought.

Any PFM’ers based there who could advise?

Thanks!

Hi, we have 2 Hi-Fi dealers, ultimate audio and genesis av. AFAIK neither stock Rega product. Genesis stock marantz, denon, arcam and technics which may suit. UA’s website is not showing any brands so best contact them. Any imports are taxed at 5% of unit cost including shipping.
Hope this helps,
John

You could contact a friendly Rega stockist.

If the Channel islands are in the EEC, goods will be sent with VAT included. If they aren't. then the goods will be sent without VAT and the purchaser will be subject to paying any Channel Islands taxes.

Btw, customs won’t release the goods unless she has an account with them and paid upfront otherwise your sister will be contacted by customs and asked to pay the import duty. Good luck.

Dosn't help but there was a Rega dealer on Sark , you were invited to fly there from the other islands on a Tri islander for a dem and a cream tea !
Oh yes Jersey and Gurnsey are separate states , so glad my parents moved to the UK when I was young .

It’s a pita that sending kit to the uk incurs a 20% tax, makes it difficult to engage in trying new stuff, and selling on kit such as my EE phono stage hardly worth bothering with..

How do islanders do e-bay ?
Just curious : )
Hi Rosie, at present we can import goods up to £250 without being taxed although that may be reduced as the retailers are complaining. They have a point but many items just aren’t available in the shops. Selling has always been an issue due to the uk tariff. We also have our own Jersey ‘eBays’ which are popular.

Hi John, I’m thinking about a streamer or a better CDP, haven’t come to a conclusion yet. I would need to listen to whatever I settle on but it’s not going to happen anytime soon due to local restrictions on travel.

Got to be worth a pm to Paul Darwin, he’ll get back to you quickly.
Yes, he's been extremely helpful to me in the past. Great to deal with since Rega aren't easy to contact directly. Last time I tried the website basically tells you to contact a dealer.

advertisement

Back