advertisement

Edward Colston: Bristol slave trader statue 'was an affront'

In what way, Sean?

These nutters will be calling for the removal of the Bobby Robson statue next...
Well, it’s a non-story picked up and amplified with a view to infuriating people and discrediting a movement. In this case a poll run by students - not themselves affiliated with BLM - about renaming a building that may or may not result in a request that will be passed onto the university. It’s almost nothing.

Here’s an even more transparent case:
https://twitter.com/leftoutside/status/1274304156006780928?s=21

Well, it’s a non-story picked up and amplified with a view to infuriating people and discrediting a movement. In this case a poll run by students - not themselves affiliated with BLM - about renaming a building that may or may not result in a request that will be passed onto the university. It’s almost nothing.

Here’s an even more transparent case:
https://twitter.com/leftoutside/status/1274304156006780928?s=21
If it’s true then it’s part of the story.

Sorry to be cynical but this is following an entirely predictable arc:

1. Man arrested for what began as a minor offence winds up dead in police custody. Man has black skin.
2. Incident is nicely filmed (in focus, little camera shake) and published on the internet.
3. Large number of ordinary people see it and react with outrage. This provides an impetus that 'something must be done'.
4. Marches are organised, initially well attended around the world.
5. Marches are hijacked by same group of whistle-blowing twats who've been seen over and over and just like looting and setting stuff on fire.
6. Movement established behind snappy slogan but with no leadership and no concrete actionable aims.
7. Initial impetus is deflating because of apathy, actions of above twats and no clear aims to get behind.
8. Existing movements with tangentially related issue hitch onto the bandwagon. These confuse people and put them off, thus further draining the impetus.
9. News agenda moves on.
10. Some people might have changed their views if they have the time to think about it between working, caring, watching telly and sleeping.
11. Movement quietly deflates in acrimony and misappropriation of funds.
12. Black man is still dead.
13. No police procedures are changed other than a few optional training courses that no-one attends because the mindset of the group as a whole has not been substantially changed.
14. Police officers take more care that next incident is not filmed.
15. Next black man killed for initially trivial incident. This has already happened but it wasn't filmed clearly enough, too much camera shake.
16. Process of change inches forward.
Stephen Lawrence.

@ff1d1l : bang on, your outrage was expected before I even hit the Enter key.
What an evening of mirth you have had!
Any new topics planned? Shall I suggest some areas you might find rib tickling? Would you rather it was colonial atrocities, racial or ethnic cleansing, or slavery and oppression related?

Any new topics planned? Shall I suggest some areas you might find rib tickling? Would you rather it was colonial atrocities, racial or ethnic cleansing, or slavery and oppression related?
WTF...

I guess it's time for you to put me on your 'ignore' list, ff1d1l, as Brian suggested a few days ago.

I'm from Newcastle.
My surname is Armstrong.
I suffer from obsessive opulance and decline.
I also bear a resembalnce to Lord Armstong - this is my fizzog next to his bust at Cragside.
44694_10200393843513755_452522408_n.jpg

Male pattern baldness - check
Nose - check (Known as the Armstrong nose in the wider family)
Chin - check
Mutton chops - needs work.

easily post of the year, maybe decade. well done!

WTF...

I guess it's time for you to put me on your 'ignore' list, ff1d1l, as Brian suggested a few days ago.
Well, as I said, "..... It’s for kids".

The ff1 gadgie has me on ignore, and along with a couple of others who also have me on their "ignore list" likes to make sure everyone knows it now and again. It's funny really, though a bit sad some are this way, we do all share a common interest here, after all.

I agree he posted personal crap in your direction, I mean, where did that last sentence come from?

That last sentence is really out of order.

The statues thing is a harmless symbolic gesture but it does illustrate how pp are resistant to material change. If you’re pissed off over toppling statues just wait ‘til you see what really needs to be toppled. Then you’re really going to lose your shit, comrade.

It’s not like the completely rational sanity of endless growth and prosperity predicated on rapid exploitation & consumption of finite resources propped up by trillion dollar corporate bailouts 1,2,3 & 4 never to be seen again are working too good for us all right now.

@Brian oh well you know. I used to be a dye-in-the-wool leftie for a long time, and still am in many ways, but some of the lefties here rather push me to the right.

advertisement

Back