advertisement

Music Books

Four Lives in The bebop business: AB Spellman. Cecil Taylor, Ornette Coleman, Herbie Nichols, Jackie McLean. Really recommended for an insight into the sheer difficulty and at time despair of the jazz life in America. The Taylor section is particularly good.

The lockdown is giving me a chance to finally read some of the "must get around to's" that have accumulated in recent years. Without a doubt 4 of the best have been:-

"Jack Bruce - Composing Himself" by Harry Shapiro. A magnificent tale of underrated skills, success found and lost and personal tragedy / triumph. It is also going to cost me a lot in back catalogue purchases from Music Magpie!

"Totally Wired - Post Punk Interviews" by Simon Reynolds. Some of the most intelligent Q & A sessions I have ever read. You can sense that the interviewees were enjoying the sessions as being a change from the normal sex/drugs/RnR questions. Will try his other volumes one day.

"Kind of Blue" by Ashley Kahn. A much praised tome and it is easy to understand why. Probably the most well written and researched music volume I have ever read. Obviously it helps to really know the LP.

"Renegade" Mark E Smith. As a long term fan of The Fall, I was not sure about reading this as I thought it would be too biased towards MES's viewpoints and it is BUT he does give some valid reasoning behind his sometimes strange calls.

A couple I was not blown away by:-

"Listening to Van Morrison" by Greil Marcus. I expected to learn a lot more about the songs from such a prestigious writer.

"Born to Run" - Bruce. He makes the point many times in the book that he never finished school or went to Uni and some of the prose is just too flowery - as if someone has given him a Thesaurus and said to use 5 syllable words instead of two's. Good background to the albums though.

As a music collector and hoarder for over 50 years, I still have a lot of back cataloguing to catch up on.

Stay safe.

Love Goes to Buildings on Fire by Will Hermes.
1973-1978 and the music in New York - Jazz, Latin, Disco, Hip Hop, Punk and Rock.

If you're a lover of the album, the book is a must.

51NkMqJ2kPL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Stephen

I have just finished Elton John's autobiography. I was worried my interest would flag after Blue Moves, but he manages to keep the interest up all the way to the present. I would have liked a bit more coverage of the music. He doesn't take himself too seriously, and his descriptions of his addictions are insightful and funny.

Really enjoying Jan Swafford's biography of Beethoven at the moment. Learning a lot about European history at the same time - e.g. the Congress of Vienna.

Just got me a new punk history book. It’s a shame it’s been printed on fairly shitty paper, but I guess it lends a sort of authenticity to the xeroxed source material. It’s however 500 pages of useful.

Big pix: not sorry

ycxyb3do
yb4ylazv
EaTT2q-XsAAAope

Those RAR / ANL Carnival posters by David King were great. I remember this one, I was on one of several coaches from Leeds for the day. There were so many people marching I didn't get to Victoria Park until The Clash were well into their set, but it didn't matter. Good to see some of that spirit back again now!

Those RAR / ANL Carnival posters by David King were great. I remember this one, I was on one of several coaches from Leeds for the day. There were so many people marching I didn't get to Victoria Park until The Clash were well into their set, but it didn't matter. Good to see some of that spirit back again now!
I got there on a coach from Liverpool. Still have the ANL poster as shown above! Pity the Clash aren't on it.

I am ploughing my way through the Ken Burns Jazz book that accompanied the series. It is an excellent tome with some wonderful insights.

I am ploughing my way through the Ken Burns Jazz book that accompanied the series. It is an excellent tome with some wonderful insights.
Hello Woodface, I watched the highly informative PBS series and then bought the 5 cd boxset which has the usual sort of printed narrative but I cannot recall seeing an accompanying book. An Amazon search did not show any KB Jazz books so am wondering what it is you are referring to - I imagine it would be as you suggest an excellent tome.

advertisement

Back