advertisement

The runners' thread... (part II)

Tip #1 (and more important than any others) - take it easy and gently, but keep doing it regularly.

You've already said it yourself, it takes time to 'improve', and the older you get, the more time it takes.
The worst thing would be to push it too far and get injured.

Do you have a goal or target as such, or just general fitness? If the latter then back to tip #1, just go out and enjoy the countryside and fresh air and forget about times and pace. Who cares if you have to walk a bit?!

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your comments.

I didn't start with an explicit target, just general fitness and a desire to keep up with the young guys (and gals) I play badminton with for a few more years. (I've always played competitive local league badminton)

In fact though I have been enjoying the running more than I perhaps expected so who knows what might transpire. :) I now feel I'd like to get my 5k time down to 30 mins and see what happens. I've no idea if that is achievable or in what time frame but subject to abiding by your Tip #1 I'd like to give it a go.

You're 100% absolutely right that (apart from myself) no-one cares a jot if I have to walk a bit - I just need to get over myself - still feeling 18 in my own head ( which is a good thing !)

Ian

I think interval training is a generally well regarded way to increase speed, so stick with it. 35 -> 30 minutes will be doable I'm sure!

Another half this morning, new route, more offroad. Beautiful morning out there!

Add some longer runs, try for longer distance. My 5k time got much better when I started training g for longer races. Follow a plan. I use Garmin ones, They have a mixture of interval, goal pace, progression runs, sprint/fartlek training, and good old long slow runs. I started properly about three years ago, have only been training on the road for about 18 months and have got my time down from 36 to just over 25 minutes. I’m a bit younger than you, but if you take your time, follow a plan, and don’t be too ambitious, you’ll get better!

IanG.. there's a lady who joined our running club age 59, she only started running at 58! She found she was quite good at it and has already run a 4:01 marathon and does around 23-24 minutes for a Park run as a LV60. Never too late to start. :rolleyes:

8.5 miles in the relative cool of this morning - that's the furthest I've run since my niggle started so might crack open a beer to celebrate.

Missing running as I broke the middle toes my left foot 3-4 weeks ago. Seems to be healing well now since I strapped it to another toe. Probably give it a couple more weeks before I run again. At least I can cycle.

Last edited:
I think interval training is a generally well regarded way to increase speed, so stick with it. 35 -> 30 minutes will be doable I'm sure!

Another half this morning, new route, more offroad. Beautiful morning out there!

Thanks Rob.

Add some longer runs, try for longer distance. My 5k time got much better when I started training g for longer races. Follow a plan. I use Garmin ones, They have a mixture of interval, goal pace, progression runs, sprint/fartlek training, and good old long slow runs. I started properly about three years ago, have only been training on the road for about 18 months and have got my time down from 36 to just over 25 minutes. I’m a bit younger than you, but if you take your time, follow a plan, and don’t be too ambitious, you’ll get better!

Thanks, I'll take a look at the Garmin plans - nice to have something specific to try.

IanG.. there's a lady who joined our running club age 59, she only started running at 58! She found she was quite good at it and has already run a 4:01 marathon and does around 23-24 minutes for a Park run as a LV60. Never too late to start. :rolleyes:

8.5 miles in the relative cool of this morning - that's the furthest I've run since my niggle started so might crack open a beer to celebrate.

Impressive lady!

errr...Groundhog day. :)

Another half this morning.

And another this morning.
Ten in ten weeks and I think I need to change tack now. Avoided the big P-off hill and it was the quickest, so quite happy.
Then the better half persuaded me to go for a decent walk this afternoon....am certainly feeling it now!

Decided that as I can’t do any proper long runs I’m going to aim for a bit more speed. I really fancy a pleasing Parkrun time. So have adjusted my plan to suit. Not looking forward to Wednesday’s training, speed intervals, 1 minute at 4:30-4:40 x 4 alternating with 1 minute jogs. Then the same with 4:00-4:15.
Hope I’m still alive after.

@Weekender youre doing a great thing. Robs,
wish I could spaff out half marathons like that. Ten miles last weekend was hard work. Sometimes I wonder why I train for a half, when a good 5k and 10k is so exciting

Went out for a 5k on Thursday and realised something was wrong, my left hamstring was murder. I thought I'd been needing new shoes for a couple of weeks (sore knees, pounding feet) so planned to get them this weekend. I wore the existing pair (Asics Gel Nimbus 21) to the shops and by the time we'd been wandering around and waiting in line for the supermarket afterwards my leg was hurting again. I didn't realise how knackered they were, my left foot was trying to compensate on something lumpy and un-cushioned, no wonder my muscles were screaming trying to keep me upright properly. Strava says I've done about 300km since the lockdown started, well that would do it.

Anyway, waiting for leg to feel better then I'll hit the road again tomorrow on a new pair of Brooks Ghost 12s.

Normally, I try to run five times a week, but that has been very disrupted recently, and mostly only done four. Last week was the first back to five for a little while, about 26 miles in total, longest about 11.3 in just under 100minutes, so marginally better than 9 minute pace, so coming back. Plan for this week is just do marginally longer runs all five times - a few minutes extra each outing will get me up to 30 miles for the week.

Got out at lunchtime, no pain, just jelly legs - probably my fault for drinking nothing but coffee all morning. 8k on the clock and a couple of decent Strava segments. Shoes are comfy, I'm a happy bunny again.

I see the autumn marathons are falling like flies; Berlin & NY now. I hear Hamburg are planning to run theirs in September, masks before & after. Interesting to see if London happens in October though my gut feeling is that it is simply too big.
6.4 miles at 09.45 yesterday, already 23 degrees by then so picked a tree lined cycle track which offered a bit of shade. Planning a bike ride this afternoon, 30-35 miles in the sun.
My niggle is still there but much reduced. The physio who can sort it isn't back until next month so will just have to grin & bear it.

Went out to do speed repeats at about 5 last night, brutal in the heat, managed set one ok, 5x 1min at 4:30 then 1 min slow. The second set of 4x1mim at 4:10 needed a walk inbetween. Glad today is a rest day.

We did a 3.5 mile walk at 6:30pm instead.
Absolutely lathered by the time we got back.
Another walk tonight by the looks of it.
Probably a good thing as my right knee is giving a bit of jip..

Nice MJS!

Nothing for me. Having a rest, working during day, and drinking cold beer in the sunshine...after the work I hasten to add.

advertisement

Back