advertisement

Why does Radio Paradise sound so good?

Is it just me, or has RP gone down hill?

I have almost stopped listening to it. Whenever I do listen it sounds dark and dirgy, both the choice of music and the sound. :(

Is it just me, or has RP gone down hill?

I have almost stopped listening to it. Whenever I do listen it sounds dark and dirgy, both the choice of music and the sound. :(
I stopped a few weeks ago.
I'm not sure the sound quality had particularly changed but I found increasingly that the choice of music was not to my taste.

I stopped listening a few weeks back but it was not to do with RP. More that my Naim Uniti Star always keeps the same input selected and at the same volume when I turn it back on. And is was getting a little more than annoying having RP blasting out early in the morning and waking the family.

Listened to the FLAC eclectic mix yesterday and it was excellent, both musically and sound quality wise. So excellent that my wife has put it on again this evening. We love it, but we go to WOMAD every year so this is our sort of music...

I love listening to Radio Paradise, it always sounds great. However, when I listen to CD’s ripped lossless to SSD through same system, they don’t sound so good and keep wondering why?

System is Raspberry Pi (with Samsung SSD) into MHDT Labs Orchid, Dynavector L300/HX1.2 and Shahinian Arcs.

Surely my ripped CDs should sound as good as RP in the same set up? Or is there something wrong with my set up?

The Pi has Allo digione Hat for coaxial out whereas SSD goes into USB on Pi, could that be the issue?

As I understand it Bill is an ex sound engineer and made his money developing effects kit for studios and software for EQ.

I think his own application of EQ is what makes RP unique.

I'm finding myself listening to JBRadio2 more now as RP seems to be up and down like a whores drawers at the moment.

As I understand it Bill is an ex sound engineer and made his money developing effects kit for studios and software for EQ.

I'm finding myself listening to JBRadio2 more now as RP seems to be up and down like a whores drawers at the moment.
Yes, I do find myself hitting the play something different button more often. Usually when Neil Young comes on for the millionth time that day

I agree. However as per my post above I think he has changed something recently and the sound is now not to my taste. Previously I think it was a bit compressed and a bt warmed up, but It now sounds moderately compressed and dark to me. I think he has now overdone his house sound.
For low level listening through a bright system this might be ideal.

I agree. However as per my post above I think he has changed something recently and the sound is now not to my taste. Previously I think it was a bit compressed and a bt warmed up, but It now sounds moderately compressed and dark to me. I think he has now overdone his house sound.
For low level listening through a bright system this might be ideal.

I was just listening to the Mellow Mix last night and thought it was sounding particularly good. Even Neil Young ...

Listened this morning in the hotel via the tablet, it sounds like a tranny radio but the selection is great. An Audioslave track had me vowing to dig out their CD when I get home. Long live RP.

My car has its own built-in 4G system.
I popped a cheap 4G data only SIM card in and I now have Radio Paradise on my list of preset stations, along with stations like KEXP (another excellent station...from Seattle).
I've also got a factory fitted B&W sound system in there too.
Makes those long car trips a lot more bearable.

Using the car's own mobile connection, I've no need to eat into my data allowance on my phone, or use Apple CarPlay or Android Auto (both are installed and available)
I find I get fewer dropouts over 4G than on DAB radio reception, when doing long journeys in the UK.

The RP Android app now includes the Main, Mellow, Rock, and Eclectic mix "channels". I've just received the update via Google Play.

I am interested how EQ can be applied to the outgoing streams? I can see how they do multi format broadcast - using transcoding for on the fly file format conversions FLAC, ogg vorbis. But that is just for source based files i.e. The whole packet, not within packet that adding EQ would require to modify sound.

Ditto if Bill maintains his own library and archive that he can ingest and then recode the source material with his EQ, for stream out broadcast later. although that would take an eternity if he has the reputed million tracks. I see this as impractical and improbable.

GIven that he now streams multiple channels in multiple formats both in real time and selectably, I don't see is how he could apply EQ to those stream using transcoding. Any on the fly EQ add on would slow the whole network.

To me BTW RP sounds same as ever. Been listening since 2005.

Thanks for the JB radio pointer BTW, I have been enjoying that recently.

Hi all,

I listen to Qobuz and Flac downloads through a Digione signature and Chord Qutest, and while they all sound good, Radio Paradise always seems to sound somehow better - clearer, deeper, more separation etc. That’s even when comparing with hi res streams. Does anybody else have the same experience, and any idea why it sounds so good?

Dynamic compression and brickwalling?

Just a quick heads up that the 2020 Support Appeal for Radio Paradise has started.

I listen on an almost daily basis and love the music (and the lack of adverts), so happy to bung in a few $$.

https://radioparadise.com/player
Same here, in fact since lockdown my wife listens to main mix in her office all day and I listen to the eclectic mix in the main house.
We don't buy each other xmas presents any more, but we sit in bed on xmas morning doing donations to various charities and RP gets a decent chunk at the same time.
Well worth listening and supporting.

advertisement

Back