advertisement

The (almost) bi-polar nature of Naim's products and customers . . .

Worst? 250.2 - I much prefer JV era to modern Black, across the board, but the 250.2 was particularly disappointing (not heard Statement, though... ;)).

Best? So much to choose from! :rolleyes: :D However, I'd probably go for CDS; not as good as vinyl, but it remains the most musically satisfying CD replay I've heard. There are other items worthy of particular mention, such as ARO, NAT 01, 72, 250... :rolleyes:

I'll add a 3rd category - Most Underrated? Nait 3 - in the shadow of Nait and Nait 2, but excellent, IMO.

IMHO, YMMV...

I'll add a 3rd category - Most Underrated? Nait 3 - in the shadow of Nait and Nait 2, but excellent, IMO.
I quite agree. It was a Nait 3 that I first demoed at home that got me hooked. But - having owned only integrated amps until then - I really wanted a separate pre/power combo, and stretched to 102/180.

S-Man, well yes, I have been reluctant to do this, but the consensus among the cognoscenti appears to be to take it out. I want that vail to be lifted from my music;)

Well maybe I'm not very cognoscentitive but my Leach amp sounds better than the 2 sets of NCC200s I've had and the Leach has supply line fuses and SOA protection.

I wouldn't run an amp without at least one form of protection: fuses, or SOA protection or dc offset protection.

I have spent a lot of time playing with Naim circuits and the veil is designed-in. It's possible to unveil them to some extent but you might not like what you see :D

Many have spent time and effort on Naim amplifiers.
You appear now to be anti Naim and out to score points.
For the life of me I cannot understand this obsession with brands. Cars,motorcycles, cameras etc etc...
Why is it so important?

You appear now to be anti Naim and out to score points.

I think you may have missed the point. I am saying that Naim included SOA protection for a good reason.

You are the one wanting to lift the Naim veil. If you don't like the way they sound... buy something else! (SOA protection deletion will not do much about veils IMO).

For the life of me I cannot understand this obsession with brands. Cars,motorcycles, cameras etc etc...
Why is it so important?

Off the Naim a bit topic but different brands of cars, motorcycles and cameras all behave differently. These details may be subtle to some but I can remember back in the late 70's far preferring the ergonomics of the Olympus OM1 to a friends highly rated Cannon. For me the Cannon didn't have the qualities I was looking for in a Camera. The interface between humans and the machines we use is very important in the way we use them and our perception of their 'quality'.

That's hilarious. I have only one person totally blocked on the Naim forum and that's a certain Adam Meredith. I recall he earned this distinction with surprising ease as he excelled in being a pompous, arrogant and abrasive horse's hindside.
Sounds like a nice chap.

I liked reading the older Naim forum, new one doesn't seem as easy to find info.

Not a naim owner and wouldn't want to get into all their separates as seems to be a quick way to spend a fortune. However their is plenty of older naim equipment available and you don't loose much if you move it on and it all seems to be serviceable which is very commendable.

Not particularly interested in their current stuff other than the SN3, which I would consider if I was in the market for a new integrated.

I think that Mr. Pig has hit upon the almost bipolar nature of Naim's customers and products. It IS ludicrous to accept that an expensive product doesn't work 'properly' unless powered by another product that costs double. I'm thinking of the 272, which "works" on its own, but only gives its best if powered by a 555PS, which is, according to the AV Options April 2018 price list, a mere $12,995 USD. While I'm impressed at how much capability is packed into a 272, the times I've heard one it's been . . . ok. For $6500 USD at last retail ($6995 with tuner), it should be better than "ok." And to defend that is to defend the indefensible.

1. My most recent Naim equipment is a pair of SBLs
2. I don't see anything inherently ludicrous in the power supply costing more than the rest of the equipment. Is getting an ideal power supply so trivial?
3. There are all sorts of perfectly valid reasons for buying hi-fi that are not spec-related. One reason I like my Chrome Bumper gear is the looks. Why not, I have to look at it all the time in my living room?
4. What's wrong with being "almost bipolar"?
5. Why pick on Naim customers when there are many far more exotic/idiotic things which find a market in the hi-fi world?

Tim

Building an ideal power supply can be trivial, it depends on how shitty the psrr of the powered circuit that follows is.

advertisement

Back