advertisement

Luxman/Accuphase/Yamaha - Quality?

Paulq2

pfm Member
I have long since been tempted to invest in one of the Japanese (maybe not now) made amps from the above 3 manufacturers. I love their aesthetics but they're damn expensive.

However, I am considering a second system with one of these as an integrated and would appreciate views as to their respective quality as I have read conflicting views. I need to listen to all of them and the ones I am looking at, specifically, are:

Luxman L-509x
Accuphase E270
Yamaha A-S3000/A-S3200

Is the high-end Yamaha stuff comparable to the others? I have read good things about the A-S3000.

Thanks.

I've owned my A-S3000 for almost 4 and 1/2 years now and still love it. It's the best sounding amp I've owned, and the most expensive (I usually buy vintage gear, the A-S3000 is the first amp I've bought new). Please note I am a Yamaha fanboy and have had various Yamaha amplification at the heart of my systems for the last 15 years (CR-1000, CR-2020, CR-2040, CA-1000, A-S1000, A-S2000). I haven't heard the Luxman or Accuphase so cannot comment on their performance, but purely based on aesthetics alone I'd take the Yamaha over both of them!...:D

I've a friend with a pile of Yamaha kit, he got his for buttons. He favours big power amps, by which he means 200 wpc.

I'm a bit of a Yamaha fanboy too, but I think in this instance the A-3000/3200 is outclassed by the Luxman and Accuphase.

Both of the latter brands offer proper class-A variants too, but with reduced output naturally, if ultimate quality is what you are after.

All nice gear, what’s the rest of the system going to be?

be careful you’ll end up with an affliction like Myself, James and Toto up above. ;)

I had a Luxman L-509u.
It was a magnificent beast. I truly regret having to sell it.
One of only a handful of expensive bits of hi-fi that was unquestionably worth every penny. Sold it to a local gent a while back and have even considered going back to ask if he’d ever let it go.
Nothing outstanding in the sound initially, but truly special in the long run. Plus the build quality was stunning.
I’ve been looking at the big Yamaha myself as well of late. Would love to hear one.

To be honest I am not sure yet but given that I have s couple of Linn streamers I may invest in another one of their pre amps to use with it.

I have however considered adding it to my main system in place of the Nord I currently have driving SCM 19s. The amp may add a touch of warmth and of course they all have tone controls which give an element of flexibility when needed.

Seems like the Yamaha's are highly regarded. They are a slightly cheaper option than the others too.

Luxman is a beauty to be hold, just to look at and slowly turn the pristine knobs, but is their sound just as good?

Everything from Accuphase is very high quality, built to last forever, very good natural sounding and keeps its value over time if not decades. They are not too difficult to repair as well.
I’m a fan of the British stuff but if ever I switch to Japanese, Accuphase will be my number one.
Their analog fm tuners are by far the best tuners in the world, IMO.

Not quite as esoteric sexy as the Luxman or Accuphase but the big Denon PMA2500NE is worth a look. Superb Dac too.

I get a bit lost with the respective classes of each amplifier - what's the situation with each of the 3 I have listed in terms of class? I may be tempted to look at second hand also.

All class AB I believe.

Which brings me on to the subject of the higher tier Marantz amps (pm10 and Ruby).
Also highly regarded Japanese amps, but Class D.
Can they stand shoulder to shoulder with those already mentioned?
Reviews suggest maybe.

Well if having matching components is important it would pay to consider that Accuphase seems to have hit on a superior recipe for digital .Their CD players and DACs sound superb.They are how good digital should sound but very rarely does.

I get a bit lost with the respective classes of each amplifier - what's the situation with each of the 3 I have listed in terms of class? I may be tempted to look at second hand also.
I think they are all Class-AB, its only the higher end Luxman and Accuphase that are Class-A IIRC.

Accuphase E270 over the other 2 you mention. Has two slot in cards on the back for a DAC and phono boards.

To be honest CK I don't/won't have a need for either as the Linn deals with both of those, and very well. Intention is to focus on the quality of amp and, of course, sound.

advertisement

Back