advertisement

Naim HiCap vs Teddy Pardo TeddyCap

badlyread

pfm Member
Hi People

Has anybody compared these 2 power supplies or could comment on the TeddyCap?

HiCaps are going for silly money at the moment and as the PS will be hidden away, I'm not that bothered about what it looks like as long as it does a good job. TeddyCap does not require servicing which is a bonus.

Thanks

Neil

Hi, I am happy owner of teddypardo. before buying it I searched for several information on the web sites, I found that hicap improves overall soundstage, increases and widens the bass, while teddypardo opens up the sound, improves the soundstage and tighten the bass. so I have Sonus faber liuto tower as speakers I choose Teddypardo and I am happy with it. more details, better soundstage

I've compared the Teddy XPS to the XPS DR (on a Naim nDAC) and think the Teddy is better. It's more detailed, more relaxed, and sounds more clear and coherent - all of a piece. It also extended and solidified the bass. The Naim XPS DR made the nDAC sound a bit artificial in comparison - it extended the frequency response and added detail, but I couldn't get past that added artificiality.

The Pardo was also dramatically more affordable than the XPS DR at new pricing (especially in the US, where Naim new pricing is absurd).

Every once in a while I take the Pardo XPS out of the system and shake my head at how much better the system sounds with it in the system. A brilliant piece of gear.

If you do a search on these forums there have been numerous threads already posted about these units. They both have different sonic signatures (TeddyCAP being closer to HCDR vs the older HC), which one you prefer is often user/system/room dependent.

The Teddy Pardo sounds a bit too lean for my taste and I am not a detail freak.
My personal best value for money is the chrome bumper Hicap with an Avondale regulator making sure the large capacitors are in good shape.
I also own a recent classic Naim Hicap on another system and consider it a bit too costly and I am not convinced my cb Hicap is inferior the the newest one........
My musical preference are rock and jazz.

Depends on what your using it with? I compared the two on a nait Xs and teddy was too lean but the older hicap was perfect.

I've just moved from an XS3 to a SN3 and had a Teddy Cap on the XS3, which I enjoyed.

At the moment I'm running the SN3 without the TC, very much enjoying the sound. I'd love to compare them both side by side, so if there's anyone in Lewisham that fancies a swap (for a couple of weeks) then please holler!

Hate to throw a wet blanket on the subject but a TC MK3 on a Naim Supernait2 is horrific. No difference at all in mids, highs or soundstage but the lower frequencies are demultiplied to oblivion and back. It's purely unlistenable due to the extra bloated, rumbling, droning thud it adds to the bass. In my use case, it was a massive mistake and is already boxed up. Some people claim they like them. Depends on system and room variables. You have 14 days to try before sending it back to Israel. Brgds.
I’m not sure what you mean by “demultiplied to oblivion and back” but there’s something very odd going on in your system if any preamp psu can unbalance it to the extent you describe. Maybe some speaker/room interactions that need looking at?

Hi People

HiCaps are going for silly money at the moment and as the PS will be hidden away, I'm not that bothered about what it looks like as long as it does a good job. TeddyCap does not require servicing which is a bonus.

Thanks

Neil
I had a Teddycap Plus powering my 282, and it did a great job. That’s the one that replaces the NAPSC as well as the Hicap. If I’m honest, I thought a HicapDR and NAPSC did a better job, but not by much, and the cost saving is considerable. The bonus is having a NAPSC sized box that does the job of the two Naim boxes, although obviously that’s not relevant to you with a 32.5.

NAIM equipment is good quality and well built, but rather pedestrian in design. I wouldn't be surprised if other manufacturers' efforts would beat NAIM but I've never listened to the TeddyCap so can't really comment on the difference.

Before anybody accuses me of being a NAIM hater, all of my electronics (digital and analog) is NAIM.

The options are many and various, discussed at length in older threads, but a (ahem) recap:

Naim Hicap has to be the starting point for a CB system
A newer DR if you have a problem with large amounts of folding weighing your pockets down, but wouldn't look right to my eyes anyway
Teddy Pardo, you might like it, you might not, changes the sound a bit
Modified Hicap with Avondale TPR4, Witch Hat NEWT, CHC-REG, all I believe a similar-ish design of a pre-reg to an old school 3 pin regulator, close to Naim sound, but better, I have a Hicap TPR4
Modified Hicap with RSL PSM-1 using a modern regulator, this where I have gone to improve on the TPR4
Avondale PSUs of various generations
CHC-CAP
RSL ZapCap - better than a Hicap TPR4 to my ears, Kit has a loaner to try, why wouldn't you try it? :)

I'm sure there are more I have missed out, and Avondale I understand are working on a better regulator too.

Last edited:
The options are many and various, discussed at length in older threads, but a (ahem) recap:

Naim Hicap has to be the starting point for a CB system
A newer DR if you have a problem with large amounts of folding weight your pockets down, but wouldn't look right to my eyes anyway
Teddy Pardo, you might like it, you might not, changes the sound a bit
Modified Hicap with Avondale TPR4, Witch Hat NEWT, CHC-REG, all I believe a similar-ish design of a pre-reg to an old school 3 pin regulator, close to Naim sound, but better, I have a Hicap TPR4
Modified Hicap with RSL PSM-1 using a modern regulator, this where I have gone to improve on the TPR4
Avondale PSUs of various generations
CHC-CAP
RSL ZapCap - better than a Hicap TPR4 to my ears, Kit has a loaner to try, why wouldn't you try it? :)

I'm sure there are more I have missed out, and Avondale I understand are working on a better regulator too.
yep agree with that - im using on my XS2 a tpr4 modded chrome bumper snaps and its superb, very much like an older hicap but more snap

Hi People

Thanks

Neil

Results will vary as I do not have experience with your 32.5/110. I have compared the Dual Teddycap and Hicap DR on my 282/250DR and 202/200. Brief summary on differences:-

Teddycap - smoother and more organic, relaxed and overall cleaner sound from top to bottom. Bass sounds cleaner and leaner which gives an impression of lesser bass
Hicap DR - opposite of the above. Overall more excitement with rougher edges. Has the mid-bass wallop that is missing with Teddycap.

The better sounding PSU which gets to stay with the 282/250DR is the Hicap DR. It gives more life to music than the Teddycap.
The Teddycap which is still a good sounding PSU gets to stay with the 202/200.

All in the context of my system. If you don't try both Teddycap and Hicap in your system, you would never know which one you would prefer. One thing is for sure, the Teddycap will tone down the slight unrefined presentation of any Naim gear. With your 32.5/110, it is very likely you will hear a smoother and more relaxed presentation. Basically the power supply cleans things up.

Thank you so much for all your input. I have a TeddyCap (brand new but 2ndhand) that is warming up at the moment.

I will have a good listen over the weekend and then will try without the TC. Doubt I will be able to compare with a CB HiCap side by side. Yes, a CB HiCap would be great but the TC is hidden away so aesthetics are not a problem (a CB HC would be hidden away as well).

Thanks again.

I had a teddy pardo with SN2. After a while a nearly new hicap DR came up so bought that on a whim. Didn’t have any pre ideas and was very suprised at the change in sound. The naim has stayed. Wouldn’t go back.

Way back I tried a TC in place of Hicap on my 72, 250. I preferred the TC and sold the Hicap. I later changed from a Naim XPS to Teddy XPS on my CDX.

I have been very happy with each change to Teddy products. It looks as if there may not be good synergy with the TC on the SN though.

FWIW I now have Teddy pre and power amps, TeddyDAC and last but not least, Teddy Pardo speakers, and cable...

I had cb an olive hicap,then Teddy dtc.Teddy was better so I use now Teddy with 82 preamp and hicap with prefix.Considering to sell hicap and get single teddycap for prefix.Cleaner high frq. Better 3d and naim boomy midbass is gone with teddy...seems to be same effect with naim's DR .Some might like that boominess in bass with some flatearth classic speakers without bass ...

Just day one and enjoying the Teddy. However, I put some new RSL Z250V boards on the NAC 32.5 this morning so I’m going to leave it a few weeks and the remove the Teddy and listen again. Will remove the boards and listen again too. But happy with what I’m hearing at the moment.

advertisement

Back