advertisement

Something interesting about the new Spendor Classic 4/5

Jodet

pfm Member
Spendor has an 'all new' version of their model in the 'LS3/5a' sweepstakes.

Their 'LS3/5a' type speaker (the various versions of what they call the 3/5) has, for over twenty years, had a cabinet narrower and deeper than the LS3/5a.

Their new speaker has changed that all up and it is now almost exactly the same as the LS3/5a, 7.5" wide, 12" tall and 6.5" deep.

I would really like to hear a modern Spendor that resembles the LS3/5a so closely. It's like they're taking a page from Proac's book - whose 'LS3/5a like' speaker, the Tablette ten has dimensions identical to the LS3/5a.

Anyone heard these yet? For some bizarre reason the U.S. importer DOES NOT EVEN BOTHER TO IMPORT THIS SPEAKER. I guess they just want to sell the ten thousand dollar models.

Also interested in these. Wonder what the "4/5" means..
It's cheaper than Stirling's and Falcon's. Re form, I think some makes already make them wider than deeper. Hope to have a good listen some time soon.
Omer.

I think this move on the cabinet dimensions, as well as ProAc's, is to appeal to the Asian market.

I seem to remember Spendor’s first model after the LS3/5a ( 3/5 ? ) had the same dimensions as the ‘3/5a,
but turned through 90 degrees.
Somewhere in my ( fading ) memory I seem to recall the (in)famous Ken Kessler mentioning it.

I’ve mentioned it previously but it’s about time we had a ‘shoot out’ along the lines of the LS3/5a one,
which was nearly twenty years ago.
This time more interesting, with the ‘top’ LS3/5a models ( no names mentioned...) and the so-called
pretenders to the throne.
This new Spendor and recent models from Stirling, Graham etc. would make fascinating listening.

I’ve mentioned it previously but it’s about time we had a ‘shoot out’ along the lines of the LS3/5a one,
This time more interesting, with the ‘top’ LS3/5a models ( no names mentioned...) and the so-called
This new Spendor and recent models from Stirling, Graham etc. would make fascinating listening.

I'd like to see a shoot-out of the 'LS3/5a inspired' speakers:

Spendor Classic 4/5
Proac Tablette 10 Signature
Harbeth P3ESR

And similar.

I'd like to see a shoot-out of the 'LS3/5a inspired' speakers:

Spendor Classic 4/5
Proac Tablette 10 Signature
Harbeth P3ESR

And similar.

Can we do this through Zoom ? :)

The Classic 4/5 will likely be available in the states either in late summer or early fall. I had the opportunity to pre order a pair to go with the Harbeth P3ESR’s and ProAc Tablette 10’s but at the last minute changed my mind and ordered a pair of Classic 3/1’s.

The Spendor 4/5 looks interesting. I have a pair of S3/5R on TV duty and like them a lot, they don’t draw attention to themselves at all, very clear and articulate without artifice. A great little speaker. Flipping the cab back round into the LS3/5A aspect has given Spendor the opportunity to squeeze a slightly larger bass unit in, 150mm vs. 140 of the 3/5. Bare in mind the LS3/5A used a B110, so quite a lot more surface area which should bring more headroom etc. The sealed-box mini-monitor has to be about the most interesting area of the modern speaker market, loads of really good models to choose from. Probably more available now than ever before.

Let’s not forget the SA1 and D1 - both great speakers. They did the act of disappearance (especially the D1) like nothing else I’ve heard. Not sure why the D1 was discontinued but if it was low sales at the time, may be Spendor has been attempting to produce/focus on lower cost models such as the S3/5R and now 4/5, although the 4/5 now creeping back into a higher price bracket?

I’ve said before, I’m a big Spendor fan having owned BC1s since 1976.
Any new model catches my attention, but this new 4/5 has intrigued me since I found out about it.
No dealers close by, unfortunately.

If KEF was smart they'd start making new T27's and B110's. They're a big company with plenty of resources, I'm sure they could do it. People would go ape-sh*t over a brand new, authentic, KEF LS3/5a.

Falcon have likely taken that market, their replica T27 and B110 are done under the supervision of the person who designed the original! They are a remarkably accurate replica.

Falcon have likely taken that market, their replica T27 and B110 are done under the supervision of the person who designed the original! They are a remarkably accurate replica.

Yeah, they've done a great job there. KEF should take a page from their book.

The Classic 4/5 will likely be available in the states either in late summer or early fall. I had the opportunity to pre order a pair to go with the Harbeth P3ESR’s and ProAc Tablette 10’s but at the last minute changed my mind and ordered a pair of Classic 3/1’s.

How is that working out for you?

Let’s not forget the SA1 and D1 - both great speakers. They did the act of disappearance (especially the D1) like nothing else I’ve heard. Not sure why the D1 was discontinued but if it was low sales at the time, may be Spendor has been attempting to produce/focus on lower cost models such as the S3/5R and now 4/5, although the 4/5 now creeping back into a higher price bracket?
The D1 is a remarkable little speaker.

advertisement

Back