advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Spending some lockdown time on Ebay has meant another cheap old automatic watch being added to my little collection - this one I don't know a huge amount about but I think it's maybe 80's:

170730237.3o05doAz.jpg

It definitely has a charm about it - well done.

That's really nice. If you want to have fun with very cheap manual watches, try out HMT . Made in India, interesting designs, some collectable, some in English, some in Hindi(?) Or other languages. I have 2, a white face Janata and a Pilot. Neither cost a tenner, I just wear them when I feel so inclined.

Nice. I like the blue strap with the blue dial, but that case design is crying out for an integrated bracelet (IMHO of course).

I tend to not really got on with metal straps so tend to switch watches to nato straps, however I like the blue leather strap on this one so am thinking I'll keep it like that.

That's really nice. If you want to have fun with very cheap manual watches, try out HMT . Made in India, interesting designs, some collectable, some in English, some in Hindi(?) Or other languages. I have 2, a white face Janata and a Pilot. Neither cost a tenner, I just wear them when I feel so inclined.

I've got one HMT automatic at the moment (not sure what model). It's quite similar in style to the 60's & 70's watches I tend to go for, but was very cheap and is quite accurate. For some reason it doesn't seem to stay wound on the watch winder though.

Not sure at this point what I'll get next - maybe an Orient or something Russian.

I've got one HMT automatic at the moment (not sure what model). It's quite similar in style to the 60's & 70's watches I tend to go for, but was very cheap and is quite accurate. For some reason it doesn't seem to stay wound on the watch winder though.

Not sure at this point what I'll get next - maybe an Orient or something Russian.
Both are nice. I got a Vostok Amphibian, which is great, but the bracelet strap is horrible. It's really cheap and sharp and pulls the hairs out of your arm. So dump the strap, or get one without the bracelet, but the rest is great. There is a bewildering array of case styles and faces all based around the same mechanism, so choose what you like and you'll get one brand new in a box for £60 or so.

..all bets are off with regards to values now, this virus could annihilate the market.

My heart bleeds for the poor darlings. Bad investment call ? - tough t1tty.
Buy watches/bikes/cars and the like because you like them or want to use them - or leave them for those who do :)

(Does that sound a tad unsympathetic - see Line 1..)

That said, I don't buy the "never lose money on a Rolex" routine . A friend of mine has, about 4 or 5 years ago he bought a Sub, cost about 5k or so. Kept it in a safe and wore it on special occasions. Fancied a fancier one, so traded it in with the dealer. Ouch. I think he got about £1500 back, and had to take out another finance deal for the new one. Hardly never losing money.

I'm a great believer in buying a watch simply because one likes the watch. When I bought my GMT-Master back in the Mesozoic Era, it was because I fell in love with it in the jeweller's window (conveniently located in the same building in Geneva where I was working at the time). So, nearly 50 years later, here we are. I've seen the incredible prices against 1675 GMT-Masters, but I'm not interested, and I don't care if the prices sink as per Tony Lockhart further down, I like the watch, full stop, end of story, and, to paraphrase Charlton Heston, it will have to be prised from my cold, dead hand.

That's the best reason to buy anything.
Couldn't agree more. I don't understand those that buy watches and leave them in a safe. I circulate mine regularly, and any that don't get worn get sold. Simplez.
The increase in value is a bonus. Or not. Whatevs.

I'm a great believer in buying a watch simply because one likes the watch.

That's always been the reason I've bought mine, and I've build up a little collection of watches that I like and wear for the same sort of price as I'd have spent if I'd bought something as an investment.

It's highly unlikely I'll ever sell any of mine so them increasing in value isn't of interest really.

There are very few models that could be thought of as good investments. Not even all Rolexes are good investments. You're much better off with property or classic cars, although both of those aren't as rocket fuelled as they used to be.

As for what's going to happen when things start getting back to normal and we can carry on f*&king up the planet, that's anyone's guess.

Classic cars are a hiding to nothing unless you are lucky enough to spot the short term winners and hit them. Property maybe, but principally because you either take value from it as a residence or you rent it. Otherwise, it's a non starter. Otherwise, in either case, your maintenance costs eat any capital gains.

I picked this up a few weeks back and I think it looks good straight out the box
But with in a couple of weeks I fitted a new thicker sapphire crystal with AR and ceramic bezel
If your interested I did a Video Review of it before I did the mods

Before

After

Classic cars are a hiding to nothing unless you are lucky enough to spot the short term winners and hit them. Property maybe, but principally because you either take value from it as a residence or you rent it. Otherwise, it's a non starter. Otherwise, in either case, your maintenance costs eat any capital gains.

No, you need to be lucky and buy over a longer time period. My brother bought a Bentley S2 Continental for £40,000 in about 2003 I think. It's now worth about £150,000, which isn't a bad return. And he really hasn't spent £110,000 on maintenance, more like 50p - he's a total skinflint. Very, very classy car though, great 'get out of my way, peasants' presence which my brother secretly adores.

I've got a few watches which have done pretty well here are just a few

Rolex LV I paid 3k 10 years ago its worth about 12.5k now
Rolex Red Sub I paid 6.5k 6 years ago its now about 18/20k
Sinn EZM1 2.2k 10 years ago its now about 6k
Rolex BLNR 6.5k 2 years ago now 11k

I doubt my two have gone up much - 14060M bought new at 4k in 2012, and Milgauss non-green, bought for 5k in 2014. The Sub may have gone up a bit, but the Milly is likely worth about the same, maybe even a bit less (even if it's the prettier watch and not for sale, ever).

I picked this up a few weeks back and I think it looks good straight out the box
But with in a couple of weeks I fitted a new thicker sapphire crystal with AR and ceramic bezel
If your interested I did a Video Review of it before I did the mods

Before

After
Great video of a nice looking watch. The applied indices give it a classy look and catch the light as the hands do. It reminds somewhat me of the SKX171 - a model that quietly disappeared without the dues I felt it deserved - in its Poor Man's Marinemaster guise.

I like the cleverly designed new style "5" and "Automatic" that's in a similar italic font as on some of Seiko's more upmarket models. How resistant to scratches do you think the black case is?

The new bezel, is it a glossy black?

[
Great video of a nice looking watch. The applied indices give it a classy look and catch the light as the hands do. It reminds somewhat me of the SKX171 - a model that quietly disappeared without the dues I felt it deserved - in its Poor Man's Marinemaster guise.

I like the cleverly designed new style "5" and "Automatic" that's in a similar italic font as on some of Seiko's more upmarket models. How resistant to scratches do you think the black case is?

The new bezel, is it a glossy black?

Thanks glad you liked the video :) the new bezel is a ceramic one and I also fitted a sapphire crystal with blue AR tint
plus a new ISO diver strap.
I did a video of me fitting the above mods which comes out next week Friday I believe
PS I had a Marinemaster 300 many years ago and sold it but would really like one again at some point

I doubt my two have gone up much - 14060M bought new at 4k in 2012, and Milgauss non-green, bought for 5k in 2014. The Sub may have gone up a bit, but the Milly is likely worth about the same, maybe even a bit less (even if it's the prettier watch and not for sale, ever).

Your Sub is now worth around 7K and the Milgauss being it a standard non green model hasn't moved really

Reactions: JTC
Your Sub is now worth around 7K and the Milgauss being it a standard non green model hasn't moved really
I never really liked the green crystal; looked somewhat gimmicky to me. Prefer the plain. Very very attractive watch on the wrist though, it deserves to be as popular as the Sub IMHO...

advertisement

Back