advertisement

Leak?

Whilst I realise the retro looks & revival of a classic brand for purely marketing reasons won't be everyone's cup of tea if it gets people who are otherwise uninterested in hifi into stores then I don't really see the downside. BTW I have also owned a Leak Delta 30 & 70 in the past which were updated Stereo 30 & 70s, underrated in my view, they had adjustable gain switches on the back iirc, something I wish today's amps had, all the SS amps I've had in the last couple of years have had far to much gain, resorted to Rothwell attenuaters on my Rega Brio & Exposure 3010S2D.

Quad Vena with a costume change. £799 for the walnut version, £699 without the sleeve.

IAG also make those retro Wharfedale speakers too which would make a nice visual match.

The front panel fonts are all mixed up. Bit of a mess there.

Has faux retro gone too far?

Quad Vena with a costume change. £799 for the walnut version, £699 without the sleeve.

IAG also make those retro Wharfedale speakers too which would make a nice visual match.

The front panel fonts are all mixed up. Bit of a mess there.

Has faux retro gone too far?

I think it has gone too far although I rather like the look of the Wharfdale's. They look like a good forward facing speaker should look; a nice box with some drive units in it. I am still not convinced about the amp though.

I had a Leak 2200 amplifier for most of the 1980's.

A mate of mine still has the amp although I think it has some issues now.

Something of a rarity then. Most of them fell to bits while still under original warranty (assuming it was working when you took it out of the box, by no means a given).

My father's first purchased amplifier was Stereo 30 and matching Stereofetic tuner Dad had them without the sleeves as he had them in a cabinet. Retro style CD doesn't do anything for me.

Last edited:
I've never considered it was possible anything could make early Leak transistor amplifiers 'more desirable.'

All Leak SS amps are shite. The 2000 series are the worst and the Delta 75 receiver has the best amp section. Even the badge engineered Rotels in the death throes of Rank Leak were not that good...
I did however love the styling of the Delta 30/70... but every time I say this I get the impression I'm on my own on that one!:rolleyes:

Peter Comeau then I guess. Designer of Heybrook speakers and my excellent HBS1 flatpack stands.

Just a Quad Vena in a fancy new wrapper then, not necessarily a bad thing, had one a few years ago, was a great sounding amp.
No Jez your not alone, I always liked the look of the Deltas, unlike you I thought they sounded pretty decent as well, especially the 70.
TS

I’ve got an inkling it’s the same chap who bought out SME and Garrard, but could easily be wrong.

———

Probably not having now looked at it.

We had Leak amplifier and speakers (Sandwich's) in the music room of my school. I got to play with it a bit as a sound and light tech for the school plays - I could not act so did this stuff instead.

I think this new stuff looks really lovely and a DAC/AMP is what a lot of people will find very convenient these days. I hope it works. Pricing looks good.

advertisement

Back