advertisement

New Bearing for LP12--The Karousel

I recently played all four sides of "Tales From Topographic Oceans" and enjoyed it, it actually made sense, that's how good my current TT is. "Zen Arcade" still sounds like it was mixed by someone on acid wearing boxing gloves however, it makes a damned good fist of reassembling the shattered sonic remains of Husker Du into some cohesive semblance of a whole.

Ha! I’d have put money on me being the only one here able to pull both those records from their collection!

I thought 'Tales from Topographic Oceans' was a triple :rolleyes: Whatever it's still the absolute apogee of prog navel gazing tripe. I used to be quite into prog but it was while listening to that rubbish that my 16 year old self saw the light...

Yes were the ultimate, totally bollocks words-out-of-a-hat lyrics and massively overlong. All the drama and interest of a grey paving slab in Slough on a wet day.

Rick Wakeman ran them a very close second though.

Gordon Giltrap and Camel were from the same mould but didn't even bother with the lyrics.

Yes were the ultimate, totally bollocks words-out-of-a-hat lyrics and massively overlong.

Ok, some of it is, but my personal favourite Genesis. Not overlong, just complex and both the music and lyrics have structure. I will give it to you, a lot of Prog is ****.

Oh dear, someone has mentioned about the voicing of turntables.
Someone should start a thread.
It will be a nice change from cable threads...

Fascinating how we go from a LP12 bearing thread to a prog bashing thread.

And who ever believed that Yes was all about the lyrics? There's nothing wrong with confiding in battleships anyway.

I think you should be looking for Simon and Garfunkel or something if Yes is too challenging.

The Cirkus bearing will not physically fit on the old subchassis. They doubled up the thickness of the metal where the flange goes and they also made the flange slightly wider so it will not fit in the cut-out on the old subchassis.

The only difference between the old and Cirkus subchassis are this and the fact that the brace is seam welded rather than glued.

I’ve actually got ‘spare’ Cirkus and pre-Cirkus main bearings and have just measured them with my trusty Mitutoyo vernier callipers and they are, essentially, the same dimensionally. The mounting flange is 30mm in each case and the neck, that goes through the chassis, is 16mm (again, the same in both cases). The mounting holes are the same, same geometry, centre to centre and thread. So, all things being equal, there really is no reason why you can’t randomly swap pre-Cirkus and Cirkus chassis and bearings as they are entirely interchangeable. The one caveat is that vagaries in tolerance may make this impossible in rare circumstances.

Oh, the old chassis was spot welded - if it had been seam welded it would have been a lot more rigid but likely distorted to buggery :).

Last edited:
I ran both a pre-Cirkus and Cirkus bearing in my Greenstreet subchassis. Both fit just fine.

Ok, some of it is, but my personal favourite Genesis. Not overlong, just complex and both the music and lyrics have structure. I will give it to you, a lot of Prog is ****.

Then we actually agree :) The version of "Suppers Ready" on "Seconds Out" is one of my all time favourite pieces of music of all time. It's quite well recorded or rather overdubbed also.

Sorry about the thread jacking but surely after 25 pages the subject has been done to death, dug up, eviscerated, jumped up and down on, burnt and reburied?

I thought they were the same apart from the flange thickness and chamfer underneath, hence my question @pig. Funny how a set of verniers dont care about marketing myths...

To by absolutely accurate, the Cirkus also has an extended length to the neck which creates a oil reservoir above the top bushing - otherwise, yes :).

Hi John, what difference did changing the bearing to a cirkus make?

I came away thinking that the Cirkus bearing required a better subchassis than the original stock steel one it was originally fitted with. The Cirkus/Greenstreet brought back the full bodied sound I liked about the pre-Cirkus/stock steel, but with much improved tune.

I’ve been pondering bearing and sub-chassis whilst spinning lots of vinyl with the Karousel, and I think if you have an old sub chassis and a cirkus bearing, a Kore would be a more suitable step. Given a bearing could become worn, you get an upgrade and a bit more use from a bearing before moving on to the Karousel. I wonder if the similar price reflects how Linn see it in SQ terms.

by the way I’m glad someone with common sense answered the comment about Pre Cirkus and Cirkus bearings fitting older sub chassis. I’ve used a pre Cirkus bearing with a Cirkus sub chassis, it fits, but runs a bit lower by 1-2mm. Not a problem unless you drop a 200g vinyl pressing from too high on to the platter, in which case it will probably hit the top plate.

still haven’t played any Yes yet, but the The Glove blue Sunshine was excellent!

advertisement

Back