advertisement

Leak?

Interesting, I wonder if it is IAG given they now own most of the UK’s historic brands? It is a shame they didn’t keep the textured aspect to the black area the lower part of the facia, this aesthetic apparently came about because Harold Leak had bought a Leica camera and liked its black leatherette and silver finish.

The fact that it shares a similar spec to the Quad Vena inc the ESS9018 DAC chip suggests IAG to me. Have to agree it does look amazing. How about a modern interpretation of the Stereo 20 next?
TS

Ha, I had a Stereo 30 in about 1969 - looks very familiar. I see there is a matching CD transport too.

I had a Leak 2200 amplifier for most of the 1980's.

I loved it, (especially the blue meters) and had the TV - VHS players through the 4-channel matrix with 4 speakers. It felt like surround sound.
Also had Leak 2060 sandwich speakers, which I would like to hear now.

A mate of mine still has the amp although I think it has some issues now.

I had a Leak 2200 amplifier for most of the 1980's.

I loved it, (especially the blue meters) and had the TV - VHS players through the 4-channel matrix with 4 speakers. It felt like surround sound.
Also had Leak 2060 sandwich speakers, which I would like to hear now.

A mate of mine still has the amp although I think it has some issues now.

One of the worst amplifiers I've ever heard. I've had a few and still have a receiver from the 2000 series in a cupboard somewhere. Advanced electronically for the time and the tuner/tuner section is very good but the amps define "harsh transistory sound". I also had 2060 speakers... Hmm.... I got them as NOS boxed as well and in about 1982... been in a store room for many years I guess!

One of the worst amplifiers I've ever heard. I've had a few and still have a receiver from the 2000 series in a cupboard somewhere. Advanced electronically for the time and the tuner/tuner section is very good but the amps define "harsh transistory sound". I also had 2060 speakers... Hmm.... I got them as NOS boxed as well and in about 1982... been in a store room for many years I guess!

compared to what I had before (Toshiba stack thing) it was an improvement.

the matrix thing was great fun.

Don't forget the blue meters...

Don't forget the blue meters...

Blue meters make up for a lot.

I remember being immensely impressed when a friend bought a Harrison amplifier and it had a string of LED's which acted as power meters - the louder it went the more little lights came on.

This looks like a very wrong product to me. This kind of nostalgia pastiche gets pretty tired, rather rapidly. It’s one step up from those icky Marshall Bluetooth speakers.

I think it's clear that the amplifier being offered probably won't be leaps/bounds ahead of other options in the same price range, and likely doesn't also hold any unique or terribly interesting proprietary circuitry. For someone who wants the LOOK, though, it is fairly stand-apart, you don't have many options other than that Klipsch thing and perhaps Luxmans at much higher prices.

Where things COULD get interesting is if they start offering faithful reproductions or re-releases of some of the classic tube gear. Something like what the new Dynaco has been doing for a few years now.

But I don't understand getting angry about it, it is exactly what it is; an attempt to take a marketing hook and turn it into cash. I don't see the problem with that. I'm more upset that whoever is running Thorens is releasing crap when it's essentially the same company it always was. It's a bit more of an 'insult' to have a BAD product from a company with continuity.

My Stereo 30 was part of my first HiFi system and the look fitted in well with my GL75 and Wharfdale Dentons. I wonder if anyone would create a faux GL75 to go with the Stereo 130.

advertisement

Back