advertisement

Anybody compared Vitus SIA-025 mk2 to Naim and Sonneteer Orton?

ryder

pfm Member
Several Naim 552/500 owners have compared their amps to the SIA-025 mk2.

Has anyone compared the 282/HCDR/250DR to the SIA-025 mk2?

What about the Sonneteer Orton? Has anyone compared the Orton to the SIA-025 mk2? What speakers were used during the comparison?

I would be interested in your experiences.

Owned Orton, not impressed.
Listening to Vitus at shows, terrible really
Happy Naim owner for decades.

Probably no help

I would also be interested in ANY comparisons involving Vitus, integrated like the SIA-025 or powers. As a former 552/135 owner and current E.A.R. pre/power owner with ESLs, I've often thought that Vitus might be to next rationalisation step back to s/s.

There is a thread running on the Naim forum at the moment, on just this. I believe chap has 552/500 and has a home dem of the 025. Might be worthwhile having a look.

D

here is a thread running on the Naim forum at the moment, on just this. I believe chap has 552/500 and has a home dem of the 025. Might be worthwhile having a look.

Thank you. I have perused it and learnt a little in the process. So far, it's been the Vitus ahead by an increasing margin, only to fall back against a re-introduced 552/500. I'm looking for the next instalments of 'will it, won't it'. Must admit, I'd not heard of the SIA 30, though the thread is about the SIA 25 v 552/500.

When I ditched Naim (gradually, over a few years), I relinquished a number of boxes and some pricey I/Cs/cables but still kept the pre-power format. The thought that an integrated can vie, for less money, with Naim's much more expensive penultimate flagships bears thinking about. Whether that same transition can replace a top valved pre and 2 valved mono's, though, is another matter. Box count would be reduced by only one, as my pre. has on=board phono stages.

I went from a Naim nap300/nac252/supercap dr to a vitus ri100 then to a vitus sia-025.

the ri100 is superb and does lots of what the sia did. The current delivery of vitus gear really opens up speaker choice. The sia was just that bit more visceral sounding. I actually owned both at the same time for a period so had chance to a/b test them.

I doubt many have compared the £2500.00 Orton to the £19000.00 Vitus!
I thought so too but am just trying my luck. I did compare the £2500 Orton to the £10,500 282/HCDR/250DR though (£13,000 if Including Chord Signature TA cables connecting the amps).

Owned Orton, not impressed.
Listening to Vitus at shows, terrible really
Happy Naim owner for decades.

Probably no help
It may help if you let us know which Naim you own which sounded better than the Orton.

With Marten Duke 2, the Sonneteer Orton sounds better than the 282/HCDR/250DR in my system, and I have done the comparison several times. I just switched from the Orton to the Naim yesterday and a degradation in sound quality was immediately noticeable.

Nevertheless, the Orton is no match to the Naim separates though when the Harbeth Super HL5+ speakers is used. The result is largely dependent on the loudspeakers that are matched with the amps.

Ryder, do try to get a listen to an Audionet amp, (yes I know I keep recommending them) I'm sure would sound great with your Marten speakers. My brother had a Vitus R100?, on loan and the AMP1 V2 bettered it in every way, into Estelon speakers. I wish I'd known about Audionet when I had my Naim 52/Scap/135's with Obelisks.

Salamander, do the Audionet integrateds sound as good as their pre/power? Just like Naim they have a lot of models in the range as well. At first glance the Audionet Watt integrated is looking good on paper.

Something worth looking forward to in the near future. I am curious if anyone has compared the Watt to SIA-025 mk2.

I have the DNA 2.0 which is the predecessor to the WATT (DNA 2.0 discontinued, 2017) I compared it to Vitus Ri100 with DAC, McIntosh MA9000, BelCanto ACI-600, Mark Levinson ML585 and Devialet D250 Pro CI.

I bought the DNA x-dem early 2018, added an EPS-G2 PSU about a year ago. Still loving it!

the ri100 is superb and does lots of what the sia did.

Not sure of this. Is the R100 current and the SIA its precursor? Doesn't make sense because the SIA is surely much better than the R100. Unless your tenses aren't right or you've transposed the kit names and you meant ' ..the R100 WAS superb and DID a lot of what the SIA DOES'....' OR '..the SIA is superb and does a lot of what the R100 did'. Puzzled.

There not a huge amount of difference for me. The ri-100 was very good, the newer 101 slightly better, and the sia slightly better again. Very much diminishing returns though, never felt much of a need to spend the extra 10k on an sia

All 3 wiped the floor with top end naim kit though, isn’t even close. The naim just sounded shut in and full of distortion in comparison. That’s not saying a lot though as the ncore I use now for actives and subs beats any of the above and does it for 3 figures so...

Salamander, do the Audionet integrateds sound as good as their pre/power? Just like Naim they have a lot of models in the range as well. At first glance the Audionet Watt integrated is looking good on paper.

Something worth looking forward to in the near future. I am curious if anyone has compared the Watt to SIA-025 mk2.

I've never heard a WATT intergrated, but remember talking to Kevin the distributor, and he actually recommended the WATT over the MAXX monos, it being a newer design and getting rave reviews from users. Well worth you contacting Fi Audio and speaking to Kevin. http://www.fiaudio.co.uk/news/audionet-uk-distributor.html

I thought so too but am just trying my luck. I did compare the £2500 Orton to the £10,500 282/HCDR/250DR though (£13,000 if Including Chord Signature TA cables connecting the amps).

Oddly enough I’ve just checked into the Naim forum and stumbled on your thread there. Unfortunately, for your query, it rather confirms my suspicion as it’s all rambling irrelevances and alternative suggestions - nobody, other than yourself, seems to have any experience of the Orton. Having read your experience (on the Naim forum), what you describe seems to be largely one of a tonal nature and I would suggest suggest there is more to an amplifiers sound than a ‘bright’ or ‘dull’ presentation.

Oddly enough I’ve just checked into the Naim forum and stumbled on your thread there. Unfortunately, for your query, it rather confirms my suspicion as it’s all rambling irrelevances and alternative suggestions - nobody, other than yourself, seems to have any experience of the Orton. Having read your experience (on the Naim forum), what you describe seems to be largely one of a tonal nature and I would suggest suggest there is more to an amplifiers sound than a ‘bright’ or ‘dull’ presentation.

Having lived with the Marten Duke 2 and Sonneteer Orton close to 3 months now, I switched from the Orton to Naim 282/HCDR/250DR yesterday and a noticeable degradation in sound quality was immediately felt. I switched it all off after I experienced a headache listening to piano pieces after a while.

Yes, the tonality of piano through the Marten is just not good when driven by Naim - the middle keys sounding too thick, smeared and lacking in clarity while the higher notes sound too forward and bright which caused listening fatigue. The tone of piano sounds unnaturally lit, forced and veiled. With Harbeth SHL5+, the tone of piano sounds perfectly fine. The Marten Duke 2 is ruthlessly revealing and managed to expose the (undesirable) traits of the Naim more than the Harbeth. Or perhaps the Naim is just not a good match to the Marten.

The Chord Signature TA cables managed to tone down the excessive brightness and smearing of notes of the 282/HCDR/250DR but it still does not quite match the tonal purity and delicate delivery of the Sonneteer Orton. I'm giving the Naim amps until this weekend before I switch to the Sonneteer Orton for good.

Try obtaining a WATT on dem from Kevin, IIRC he has just updated his personal WATT amp to a HUMBOLT (like @Salamander brother has) so you might be in for a great deal should it be to your liking.

advertisement

Back