advertisement

Gigs You Regret Attending.

The Nice, were a great band, how they turned into the monster that became ELP is beyond me; sad end for Keith Emerson though R.I.P.

I'm struggling to think of any that I regret going to.

Either I've been incredibly lucky or they were so bad that I've managed to erase then from my memory.

Just remembered a really disappointing Gil Scott-Heron at the International in 86? He woz off his titz and delivered 90% of the show sat down on the drum riser. Don't regret attending though.

Yup, more than a few times I've had to have a word.
Or to ask someone to get their feckin' phone (or, in case iPad) out of my eyeline, as they wanted to post some sh!tty distorted footage on facebook/youtube. Just bloody watch the gig - be present.

Yes, that is fvckin' wind up! One of the mysteries of life; you paid for the ticket, why do you insist on ruining it for yourself and everybody else?

Victoria Park Reggae Sunsplash, 1999
I was there too, was a lovely day but there was definitely a tension in the air.... Thankfully we left just before that incident.

Massive Attack at Kings Park Bowl 2009
Small world, I was at that too :) Nice venue. Can't say I remember them being that bad, though not very loud at all.

Don't think I've ever regretted going to a gig, though one that stands out as not great was Black Sabbath at Pompey Guildhall, early 80's. Toni Iommi seemed so out of it he couldn't play, which was disappointing. The Pogues at Reading Uni 1986(ish?) - again, so pished they couldn't play/sing, but I suspect that was pretty normal...

One of the things I really liked about The Luminaire (in Kilburn iirc) was the signs everywhere telling people to shut up and listen to the band.
Didn't always work, but the thought was there.
Saw Boss Hog there. Great gig.

I was there too, was a lovely day but there was definitely a tension in the air.... Thankfully we left just before that incident.

Small world, I was at that too :) Nice venue. Can't say I remember them being that bad, though not very loud at all.

Don't think I've ever regretted going to a gig, though one that stands out as not great was Black Sabbath at Pompey Guildhall, early 80's. Toni Iommi seemed so out of it he couldn't play, which was disappointing. The Pogues at Reading Uni 1986(ish?) - again, so pished they couldn't play/sing, but I suspect that was pretty normal...
They were doing Heligoland. Were you living there? Caught an AIR concert same venue thought that was far more interesting.

I think I’ve only been to one gig, John Spencer Blues Explosion supported by Yeah Yeah Yeahs, around 2000. It was pretty good as I recall. I saw Doug Stanhope in 2015 in Nottingham and it was so loud I had my fingers in my ears the whole time and this was just a guy talking! I nearly went to see Helmet last year but thought it would be too loud again so gave it a miss, not keen on the prospect of middle-age hearing loss!

Mentioned this thread to my other half and before I could finished she responded: “That bloody awful Doors gig at the MEN [Manchester Arena as it’s was then known]”. It was 2004 I think.

We had been given the tickets by my sister as a Christmas present. To give some context I was born a few years after Jim Morrison died, and my exposure to The Doors was the Val Kilmer biopic when I was at school and the subsequent enlivening of their music in my generation as a result. I own one best of CD.

The remaining members were evidently on some sort of tax bill reunion tour and had recruited Ian Astbury of 80s band The Cult to stand in for the late Morrison.

Now, the MEN is a huge place, so generating an atmosphere is always tough, but this time it was flatter than a pancake. The best set up is to have the centre as standing, but this time it was all seated. And we were in the back row at ground level. In our mid-late 20s were felt the youngest there.

And then they started playing. Whatever Morrison had, Astbury didn’t (and probably never had). He just growled his way through their hits, which the rest of the band noodled their way through in waves of soulless self-absorption. This time the old adage that live music has to be pretty bad for it not to be enjoyable was proven with this lifeless dirge.

It was only out of respect to my sister’s gift (which will have cost her a pile of money compared to her meagre income at the time) that we stayed as long as we did, though we left before well before they got to encore stage.

What a load of over-priced dreary shite....

Is that so? For what reason(s)?

They just seem to be the band no one admits to listening to and everyone loves to hate and never more so than on here. It' funny as I never seem to find anyone else who listens to them yet their gigs are always sold out..... guilty pleasures for some I guess. The fact that after over 40 years they have the same line up and can still play with energy and passion should be celebrated. Yes Bono can be a bit of a dick at times, but so can thousands of other rock stars and the accusations levelled at him about hypocrisy over Africa's plight are not really fair seeing as he's probably donated more to those causes than most of will ever earn in our lifetimes. Anyway the O2 gig was still terrible :D

Well tale of two performances and one deaf , uninterested sound engineer . John Martyn at the Liverpool Philharmonic Hall 2009 . I adore John's music and own most if not all that he recorded seen him live about six or seven times (at may age you are never to sure on numbers) . The Phil is a classical purpose built concert hall and as such has a very good and known acoustic should be a breeze for any competent sound engineer to get very good results . 2009 John Martyn came on to huge applause started the first number and the band was just way too loud and forward in the mix John's vocals were almost non exhistent . Okay give them the first number to make adjustments , four songs in and still the same a quick walk to the mixxing desk and asking the engineer if he realises that you are not able to hear any of John's vocals . The answer a shrug and statement it sounds great on his headphones . Could only stomach another two songs before I left and went to the Phil Pub over the road . Local band playing in the back room no idea who they were but sounds was so much better even if the music was blues / rock and very derivative .

Funny thing also was that Dr John and 911 band were on the Phil two days later As big a band as the Martyn gig same venue yet you couls hear every intonation and switch from Dr Johns vocals as well as the great piano playing . So not the venue just the dullard at the mixing desk .

Sad thing is one of my all time favourite concerts was John Martyn at the Philharmonic Hall 2000 when he was touring the Church with One Bell Album . John was the right side of sober and did not seem to have been taking too many drugs . His playing was just awesome including a surprise return to some ecoplex tunes. Then the voice and the control was deeply moving . I ended up in tears when he played Excuse Me Mister and then Solid Air just glorious . Sound was also immaculate .

Well tale of two performances and one deaf , uninterested sound engineer .... four songs in and still the same a quick walk to the mixing desk and asking the engineer if he realises that you are not able to hear any of John's vocals . The answer a shrug and statement it sounds great on his headphones . Could only stomach another two songs before I left

Saw him almost annually from 1978 (solo, just after One World) through his first forays with a full band (1980 through 1982 or so, Well-kept Secret, Grace and Danger tours), first experiments as a duo with sequencers and keyboards (1983 onward, first with Tim Prime, then Foster Patterson) and the gradual addition of percussion, sax to take personnel back to a full band.

As the personnel increased between 1983 and 1990, the gigs got louder. One of the duo gigs, I can't recall which, closed with the engineer playing Jeff Beck's "Guitar Shop" after the show, as the accompaniment for the audience walking out of the venue; INSANELY loud, way louder than the gig, and as I walked past the desk, he had the arrogant, cocky "Yeah, just TRY and ask me to turn it down" look about him.....

Fast forward to 1992, and a small theatre with the full band; Jerry Conway on drums, absolutely pounding them, no subtlety, no grace .... and INSANELY loud PA. The kind where you could feel the drums thudding your ribcage. I lasted four numbers or so and I was out. Don't think I saw him in concert ever again after that....

advertisement

Back