advertisement

Dyslexia or what?

Chops54

pfm Member
I've battled with what I've always thought was mild dyslexia for as many years as I can remember. I'm not actually sure if that's what it is. I can spell and punctuate correctly but often when writing I end up writing something else. Reading can be hard work too. I often don't see everything on the page or screen or I read something that isn't there. I've replied to a text to someone today having completely misunderstood what was sent to me initially. I've sorted it now but I'm annoyed and I feel like a right tit. I've been building a preamp over the last few months and today I noticed I'd put a cap in the wrong way round. I wanted to make a few changes anyway and tidy a few things up but bugger me I've ended up putting the same cap back in the wrong way round again. I'll end up putting it back on the shelf and leaving it there for another month or two whilst I tackle another project that's drained me. I just wished I knew what the hell was wrong with me but I fear at just short of 66 I'll just have to put up with it until I croak.

Well if you can spell and do sequences then it’s probably not dislexia how ever you spell it.

Pete

All I can say is I feel your pain. I do some really stupid things on occasion and it makes me feel like punching myself.

I've battled with what I've always thought was mild dyslexia for as many years as I can remember. I'm not actually sure if that's what it is. I can spell and punctuate correctly but often when writing I end up writing something else. Reading can be hard work too. I often don't see everything on the page or screen or I read something that isn't there. I've replied to a text to someone today having completely misunderstood what was sent to me initially. I've sorted it now but I'm annoyed and I feel like a right tit. I've been building a preamp over the last few months and today I noticed I'd put a cap in the wrong way round. I wanted to make a few changes anyway and tidy a few things up but bugger me I've ended up putting the same cap back in the wrong way round again. I'll end up putting it back on the shelf and leaving it there for another month or two whilst I tackle another project that's drained me. I just wished I knew what the hell was wrong with me but I fear at just short of 66 I'll just have to put up with it until I croak.
Dysgraphia

Just in general, I wonder if we are becoming "overexposed" to too many different things, e-mail, whattsapp, twitter, netflix, amazon prime, 68 DAB stations, cars full of (mostly useless) microprocessors with a few hundred functions, cellphones for talking, searching, photographing, filming, messaging; routers connected to 4 computers, 2 cellphones, 3 TVs, 2 stereos with 4 sources of music, kindles. Maybe a mental overload? A bit like people getting run over by a lorry because they are concentrated on their cellphone.

Just in general, I wonder if we are becoming "overexposed" to too many different things, e-mail, whattsapp, twitter, netflix, amazon prime, 68 DAB stations, cars full of (mostly useless) microprocessors with a few hundred functions, cellphones for talking, searching, photographing, filming, messaging; routers connected to 4 computers, 2 cellphones, 3 TVs, 2 stereos with 4 sources of music, kindles. Maybe a mental overload? A bit like people getting run over by a lorry because they are concentrated on their cellphone.

I don't do social media apart from PFM and a couple of other forums, I don't watch much telly but I do have two hifi systems. Analogue mainly because I can't manage computer stuff. I've tried but it's exasperating. It took me six hours on Monday to sort out a email address on my iPad!

Don’t feel bad, I am only 58 and work in a technical field, and am constantly exasperated anymore with what seems like simple things, figuring out something on my iPhone or iPad, or anything on a computer. Yikes. I’ll take working with my hands or analog shit any day! Lord help me once I put a few more years on, if I make it that far....

I had a read up on disgraphia Bob. Quite interesting.

Haha yes Tim, I really struggle with computers at times. I have a real fear of using them and I hate stuff like online banking in case I make a mistake or something. I don't read my gas or electric meter because I'm terrified of getting it wrong. I can't be the only one surely? Yet I can do my job as an industrial spark no problem. I took an exam recently and hit 94%. I was the only spark at my place of work who understood how to test an installation correctly but my paperwork was always a mess. I use paper and pencil so I can erase mistakes then I get someone else to put the results on the system.

Anyway now I've my divulged my secret to the world I need to get some sleep so thank you all.

My mild self-diagnosed dysgraphia seems to strike equally whether I'm handwriting or typing on a keyboard. It's "p" and "q" that give issues, and "d" and "b".

I used to be able to type at reasonable speed and accuracy on a manual keyboard but now find my tendency, seemingly inherited from awful accuracy on a 'phone's virtual keyboard, to tap adjacent keys to the ones intended has become irritatingly frequent.

I watch people of various ages tapping in on a 'phone with incredible speed and seemingly few errors, infuriated at my own increasing inability.

I used to be able to type at reasonable speed and accuracy on a manual keyboard but now find my tendency, seemingly inherited from awful accuracy on a 'phone's virtual keyboard, to tap adjacent keys to the ones intended has become irritatingly frequent.

Sounds like a case of sausage finger to me :D

My mild self-diagnosed dysgraphia seems to strike equally whether I'm handwriting or typing on a keyboard. It's "p" and "q" that give issues, and "d" and "b".

At a young age I was diagnosed with something called "Cross lateral" - The only thing I can remember about it was getting the letters "d" and "b" confused, and struggling to read the word "bed".

The funny thing is, It took me while to work out that you'd written "q" as something you struggle with. I couldn't work out what the letter was.

I have something similar with concepts and flow of progression in a letter. When I review a document typed up quickly I find that a conclusion appears before the argument is completed and I have to re-order the paragraphs to make a natural logical flow of thought.
A joke if I may, a dyslexic was invited to a toga party...he went dressed as a goat !

I watch people of various ages tapping in on a 'phone with incredible speed and seemingly few errors, infuriated at my own increasing inability.

Have you calibrated the screen? on some phones you can calibrate to make the position of your finger correspond with the target.

They have done MRI scans showing that people who develop skills entering data on phones have a modified brain structure; much like taxi drivers as they acquire the knowledge.

We're all better at some things than others; like my father i have a dismal memory, getting worse as i get older and more brain cells die. Better for numbers and even worse than bad for faces.

Quite embarrassing at times, must confess i didn't even recognise my mother once!

I have something similar with concepts and flow of progression in a letter. When I review a document typed up quickly I find that a conclusion appears before the argument is completed and I have to re-order the paragraphs to make a natural logical flow of thought.
A joke if I may, a dyslexic was invited to a toga party...he went dressed as a goat !

Do you find that sometimes you miss things out when reading a script or a letter? I can often read something several times and still miss out a particular section. It's bloody frustrating. It's even worse when you put things in that aren't there. I get really mad with myself at times.

advertisement

Back