advertisement

How do the 'non-subjectivists' choose their hi-fi systems?

With the right test signals, we can measure the transfer function of the device. Once the transfer function is known, the response to any input can be calculated. If you do not believe this, then you also do not believe in mathematics, Maxwell's equations, or Ohm's law.
Believe? Isn't that what religions require?

Way back on page 33 of this thread I asked one of the so-called objectivists how he (it just has to be a "he"!) became interested in audio in the first place, and what his tastes in music are. This small but significant biographical detail has yet to be provided and is proof to me that this person's interests lie in the reproduction of sound, rather than the reproduction of music.
An alternative explanation is that the objectivists do not feel the need to prove their interest in music to you. The reason is not hard to see: reproduction of music vs reproduction of sound is straight from the Linn marketing machine. Not a very good basis for rational discussion.

I’ll ignore the implied insult. The term transfer function is meaningless to me. Can you express that in lay terms? What is the transfer function? How is it expressed? What do you mean by ‘the device’? Are you referring to a hifi component (eg amplifier) or an electronic component (eg power transistor)?
By device I mean anything with an input and an output. It could be an amplifier. Or a cable.

The transfer function is the mathematical relationship between the signal entering the input and what comes out the other end. It is an expression of everything the device does to the signal. It doesn't matter whether the signal is a sine wave, a frequency sweep, or a piece of music.

(Edited to not mention non-existing music.)

And the scientific principle* that answers are temporary and conditional doesn't sit well with most people.
I think most objectivists accept this without difficulty. It is on the subjective side where the eternal truths about audio are revealed by various self proclaimed gurus. Their message is also appealing, because of its essential populism.

mansr,

Man, if I had a nickel every time that happened to me I'd easily have $85.23, give or take a couple of cents.

Joe

By device I mean anything with an input and an output. It could be an amplifier. Or a cable.

The transfer function is the mathematical relationship between the signal entering the input and what comes out the other end. It is an expression of everything the device does to the signal. It doesn't matter whether the signal is a sine wave, a frequency sweep, or a piece of music.

(Edited to not mention non-existing music.)
I can't believe we're even having this argument!

What has the Laplace transform got to do with music?!

You can't express the rendition of a Beethoven composition as a mathematical function of time!

With the right test signals, we can measure the transfer function of the device. Once the transfer function is known, the response to any input can be calculated. If you do not believe this, then you also do not believe in mathematics, Maxwell's equations, or Ohm's law.

Caution! You are assuming a linear system or at least one with one-to-one nonlinearies.

That was a fun read. I have a headache now! :(
BTW, do you know if the 2805s still use a 5 Amp triac? And I must confess to an affection for HiFi News of that era; I still have, and sometimes use, the Ben Duncan active crossover design published in 1981.

I can't recall offhand. The diagrams on the UKHHSoc site may show. But my unreliable recollection is that the protection changed with later models or versions of the ESLs. So not as the earlier types.

And here I think we get to the nub of why subjectivists*, and I include the vast majority of the population, mistrust scientists*. The absolutism pushed by some who really should be more open about the fact that scientific facts* are only valid until they are superceded by new research and theories** is compounded by their dogged refusal to contemplate the idea that they don't have all the answers. The scientific method is just that; a method.
Science isn't quite so volatile. Reading what you wrote, one gets the impression that scientific theories are like the spring collection of a fashion house, constantly and unpredictably changing with the whims of the designers. This is not the case. To replace a well-established theory, a new one must be supported by some very compelling evidence. Besides being consistent with old experimental results, it must better explain the results of multiple carefully conducted experiments where the established theory falls short. To say that electromagnetism is extremely well-studied is an understatement. The existence and correct functioning of billions of electronic devices would not be possible were our understanding of electricity not very close to the truth. Maybe there will be refinements in the future, but to think that we cannot model (and measure) an audio signal traversing a humble wire to a high degree of accuracy is simply ludicrous.

I can't believe we're even having this argument!

What has the Laplace transform got to do with music?!

You can't express the rendition of a Beethoven composition as a mathematical function of time!

Feed a signal to one end, measure the output. You can use Beethoven or a bunch of test signals.

Audio equipment is merely reproducing recorded sound, not producing music. For the latter we have instruments.

Audio equipment is merely reproducing recorded sound, not producing music.

Logically, yes, but in practice it is so flawed in this aim right from the very start of the chain (e.g. selecting the mic in the recording studio and deciding where to place it) it becomes a matter of personal taste to the extent measurements are largely irrelevant to anyone not actually designing kit, which very few here are.

Logically, yes, but in practice it is so flawed in this aim right from the very start of the chain (e.g. selecting the mic in the recording studio and deciding where to place it) it becomes a matter of personal taste to the extent measurements are largely irrelevant to anyone not actually designing kit, which very few here are.

Not necessarily M'lud. Understanding some of the details of the engineering or science may help someone to preselect what is, or is not, more likely to give the results they'd prefer. The snag is having the relevant info available so you can assess it. As distinct from a reviewer say what *they* like in *their* room, etc.

Feed a signal to one end, measure the output. You can use Beethoven or a bunch of test signals.

Audio equipment is merely reproducing recorded sound, not producing music. For the latter we have instruments.

How the hell do you "measure" Beethoven?!

Really, some people just don't know when to stop digging...

How the hell do you "measure" Beethoven?!

Really, some people just don't know when to stop digging...

You don't "measure" Beethoven but how accurately an equipment reproduces a particular recording of a particular piece by Beethoven played by a particular musician or group in a particular room. Or you compare the input to the output.

You can try it, it's called a null test:

Caution! You are assuming a linear system or at least one with one-to-one nonlinearies.
Since a non-linear system can be literally anything, I'm assuming we're talking about reasonably well-behaved audio devices without unstable states or other crazy features. Also, we don't have to actually model the non-linearities as long as we can show that they are too small to be audible.

advertisement

Back