advertisement

Amplifier Choice - Moon, Hegel or?

The majority of people need no more than about 20W. If a total headbanger and want genuinely realistic volumes then hundreds of Watts are then needed. I can't recall hearing my 10WPC leak Stereo 20 clip or run out of power... but I do have neighbours:)

Going back on a couple of points people have made. I totally get and respect the point of having seperates and the less displays etc the better and agree that this can make a system which lasts for years and can sound great with low levels of electronic noise etc.

However I do think there is equally a place for convenience, less boxes, cables etc also systems can sound great and better seperates to the same value if paired well with the correct speakers.

Additionally, this is a bit of a hobby and don't necessarily want a system for life and am happy to swap and try different setups.

I don't know about the Moon model, but the Hegel H120 combines a tweaked version of the amplifier from the outgoing Röst model with the digital section of the H190. Considering that Hegel managed to do this without putting up the price, it is probably the best bargain in the current lineup. It will drive your speakers quite happily. I am not a Bowers and Wilkins dealer, but I just took a pair of 685 S2 in part exchange and I have been trying them out with my H120 demo unit. I am sitting 2.5m away from them in a room which measures approximately 5m x 4m and they are able to play louder than I would ever need without any upset.

I don't know about the Moon model, but the Hegel H120 combines a tweaked version of the amplifier from the outgoing Röst model with the digital section of the H190. Considering that Hegel managed to do this without putting up the price, it is probably the best bargain in the current lineup. It will drive your speakers quite happily. I am not a Bowers and Wilkins dealer, but I just took a pair of 685 S2 in part exchange and I have been trying them out with my H120 demo unit. I am sitting 2.5m away from them in a room which measures approximately 5m x 4m and they are able to play louder than I would ever need without any upset.

How does the h120 compare to h190? My understanding is they are essentially the same pre and digital section but the h190 has more power.

How does the h120 compare to h190? My understanding is they are essentially the same pre and digital section but the h190 has more power.

The digital sections are identical. My understanding is that the preamp sections are similar but not the same. I can check that with Hegel, if you like. The biggest difference is certainly between the two power amp sections. The H120 has closed the gap between the Röst and the H190 considerably. The H190's extra power definitely provides extra flexibility with speaker selection, but I am not sure you need that here. If you are considering switching to a low efficiency sealed box design, a three way design with a complex crossover or something with an exceptionally low minimum impedance, then I would probably encourage you to buy the H190 instead.

Haven't we been down siliar roads before with people asking amp advice only for Cereal Killer to constantly bang on about the Audionet DNA 1?

If CK has recommended Audionet in the past, it's because they're damn good. My brother owned an Audionet £6000 power amp that easily saw off the often recommended Vitus, T&A Audio Research products and all of these were more expensive. He changed to Acustic Arts mono's, only because Audionet had closed down, and at the time it was unsure they would start up again. He has now gone back to Audionet and is expecting his new amp tomorrow. I wish I'd have known about Audionet when I owned Naim and Shahinian Obelisks, I seriously believe, many Naim owners would be blown away by the sound of Audionet.

The digital sections are identical. My understanding is that the preamp sections are similar but not the same. I can check that with Hegel, if you like. The biggest difference is certainly between the two power amp sections. The H120 has closed the gap between the Röst and the H190 considerably. The H190's extra power definitely provides extra flexibility with speaker selection, but I am not sure you need that here. If you are considering switching to a low efficiency sealed box design, a three way design with a complex crossover or something with an exceptionally low minimum impedance, then I would probably encourage you to buy the H190 instead.

Thank you for that, seems the h120 would be better value as like you say I don't think any of the speakers I am looking at are particularly difficult to drive so the 75 Watts should be plenty given the hegel will play 2 ohm loads.

How do the hegel amps sound at lower volumes as that is something I am really keen to ensure? Reviews of the moon 240i state it is excellent at lower volumes, haven't read this regarding the hegel but equally haven't heard that it isn't. However seems the hegel and moon are very close in performance from what I have read.

With the caveat that I haven’t heard either unit, I have heard other amps by Moon and Hegel, and by and large, it it were me, I’d go with Moon. I just find they have more of the fun factor.

How do the hegel amps sound at lower volumes as that is something I am really keen to ensure?

You are actually the second person to ask me that this week, which is odd because this is a question which I am normally asked in connection with speakers rather than amplifiers. The H120 manages just fine at low volume. Hegel amps are known for their low noise and low distortion so they tend to sound clean across a range of output levels. I would say though that most amps and loudspeakers scale their output in a linear fashion, within their defined limits. They do not take into account changes in perceived loudness of specific frequencies at different volume levels. If you find a particular speaker or amplifier dissatisfying at low level then it may be an artefact of human hearing rather than something that the equipment is doing wrong. You can compensate for this by toeing in your speakers less or by moving them closer to the wall (or both). When you set up your speakers, optimise them according to whatever volume level matters most to you, typically the level you use most often.

You are actually the second person to ask me that this week, which is odd because this is a question which I am normally asked in connection with speakers rather than amplifiers. The H120 manages just fine at low volume. Hegel amps are known for their low noise and low distortion so they tend to sound clean across a range of output levels. I would say though that most amps and loudspeakers scale their output in a linear fashion, within their defined limits. They do not take into account changes in perceived loudness of specific frequencies at different volume levels. If you find a particular speaker or amplifier dissatisfying at low level then it may be an artefact of human hearing rather than something that the equipment is doing wrong. You can compensate for this by toeing in your speakers less or by moving them closer to the wall (or both). When you set up your speakers, optimise them according to whatever volume level matters most to you, typically the level you use most often.
Thank you. That is good to know

The Hegel is great all around quality. The design up to 190 is Nice. I do not like the looks of 390 and 590, they somehow do not look good when they Come in lager cabinet. But the sound is great, no doubt. I would also consider the Sugden. I went from high power amp to 23watt and I do not miss a Thing.

I am looking out sometime for a moon CD but I don't see huge enthusiasm for moon amps much , don't bite my head off if you love yours !! I see loads on Hegel, reviews aplenty, loads of chat on forums . Might lean towards Hegel on that basis

I have a Hegel H360 and it sounds wonderful at low volume. It is also fantastic at higher volume. So i would expect the rest of the range to behave similarly.

I like the looks of the bigger hegel amps, particularly like the 390 which is out of reach at the moment. However I will defo demo the h120 vs the moon 240i.. If I like the hegel I would probably compare to the 190 too purely based on the fact I like the larger casing.

Firstly though I intend to change speakers so looking at b&w 705 s2, dynaudio special 40 and harbeth c7es-3.. Probably most keen on the two former but need to audition with my current amp then see if any of the above amps enhance the speakers further. That and I am keen on a digital volume control and a bit more of an all in one for a general change.

Longer term I would see myself moving to something like h390, b&w 805 d3, rega planar 10 but that is a while off for now but something to aim for nonetheless..

I had a Rost, previous iteration of H120, lovely amp, clean as a whistle and fantastic bass reproduction. Regret parting with it, to be honest.

Spied some nice deals on H90's of late, effectively the same amp - a little less power but the sound is assuredly there. And it has plenty of power for most.

Totally take it back, absolutely loving my Elex-r and just playing along at low volumes just now. Got my new P6 hooked up to it and sounds fantastic.

Still in the market for speakers however but want to keep a good balance. Feel that the dynaudio special 40 might be a level above my system? So looking to audition b&w 705 s2 and the dynaudio evoke 20 - which I think might make a more balanced system... Although I'm not sure on views here, would special 40 be much better than evoke 20 or is it the finish on the special 40 pushing the price up? Perhaps a different thread for that!

Anyway I may still audition some amps once the speakers are sorted but will likely need to be very good, as the P6 elex is sounding great.

advertisement

Back