advertisement

digital to analogue out for TV.

Edwar65

pfm Member
Hi.
I'm not sure if I'm on incorrect forum section,but would like to ask members experience of getting audio out from modern TV to analogue amplifier?
I've seen various cheapo digital to.analogue boxes starting at several pounds or so that use the optical out from TV and convert to phono r an l.
Can anyone offer advice on what they have used that is reliable and will give reasonable results for max of around £50!!
Thanks

I bought a cheap (~£15) decoder, two channel, optical in, and I am now on my second. It is very good for films, etc, and does not need constant volume resetting, like the 5.1 ones I've tried (two went t*ts up on me!). Back to the two channel one for very good quality and easy set up. Listening to BBC Radio3 concert right now, and it is very clear. Playing through £1800 worth of amplifiers/loudspeakers!

like this one (note, it's not 5.1!) http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=131932616227

but not this one: http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=402246084682

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I bought a cheap DAC for £30 from Amazon that does exactly that for my parents and it works just fine.

Ssssch, don't tell the serious audiophiles here, but I use a 20 year old HT receiver as my main amp, including TV sound. Old HT stuff is ultra, ultra cheap.

Must admit; whereas my current Sony has RCA line outs to my amplification via I/Cs, I dread getting a new smart TV replacement precisely for those reasons, Edward. However, the internal TV amplifier must surely have SOME kind of outlet (as line out), but maybe this is cloud cuckoo land thinking with modern connectivity. H/phone outs are useless, of course; or were.

@D03K users - is it the same as the FiiO Taishan DAC? What's it like for music as opposed TV? And (obscure chance) anyone used it with a Squeezebox Touch?

....thinking of slotting one in tween SBT and iLoud monitors in kitchen, to see if it is 'better' than the now aging SBT DAC. I think it has a Cirrus logic DAC and wondered how that would compare to the (aging) Wolfson chip in the SBT.\

Opologies @OP for OT.

Optical digital out or headphone socket if your TV has one.

I ran optical out to a Cambridge Audio receiver but found to my surprise that the analogue out from the TVs headphone socket to be superior.

On my Sony TV, I just use the headphone socket, which has a setting for either variable or fixed line level output. It works fine.

I've used one of these cheap optical out to analogue converters for several years and it's great!

Powered from a spare USB socket on the TV it comes on with the Telly and feeds the analogue inputs on my Naim amp.

No fuss and good results, and cheap as chips!

Cyrus AV5 -superb when it works, but cheap on eBay so I now have two - one works perfectly, one has no analogue inputs. Full 5.1 and lots of control.

advertisement

Back