advertisement

The watch thread: pocket, wrist, sporty, showy? You name it!

Still haven't got my JLC MC Ultra Thin Moon. Next year. The speaker urge has hit hard...

LOL

In my mind I already have one.

IMG-1258.jpg

Ditto has to be balanced with speakers (Dyn XD/ATC actives urge - although this may not be the best year - all things considered.

As i looked at thread, i realized that during lock down, I haven't actually worn a watch for a month now - my daily is. still sat on desk.

IMG-1257.jpg

Sign of the times eh?

A note of caution for EBay buyers - beware frankenwatches - those cobbled from bits pertaining to be vintage. It doesnt matter that they are, but sellers not always clear, and value is related to provenance.

I bought a JLC RAF MK Xi pilots watch on eBay a few years back. On getting quotes to refurb (crazy prices btw) it transpires that it is a bitsa watch and of little value, not worth refrubing costs, unless you are a watchmaker.

Still got it unused in drawer. It's accurate twice a day.

\Caveat emptor etc.

^this. I only buy from bricks and mortar places now. I did buy a GMT Master II from Greece on eBay when the financial crisis hit, and my blood ran cold after I had paid for it. First thing I did when I got it was to take it down to my chosen dealer for validation. I got lucky, but I can't take that level of stress again :)

@guest is that a 1665? Have you seen the price of those lately? I promised myself a DRSD years ago, and it's my only regret that I didn't buy one 10 years ago. The price is just stupid now

@guest is that a 1665? Have you seen the price of those lately? I promised myself a DRSD years ago, and it's my only regret that I didn't buy one 10 years ago. The price is just stupid now

Sadly not. I wish it was - those 1665 prices are crazy now. No, it's a 16600, still quite desirable, that I have had for nigh-on 20 years. It was and is my fav non-cyclops sports, right-sized, and before the more recent huge diameter vogue.

None will ever lose value though, so they are, in that sense cheap watches to own, if not to buy.

I agree, mine have done much better than a building society or pension, and I enjoy them. Can't see the point of keeping them all in a safe.

c60-sapphire-blue-mk-3-1

I realise in the eyes of many watch collecters and buyers that Christopher Ward is not really considered a good brand but I have to say i like quite a few of his designs . My Birthday has been and gone in lockdown and my early holiday to Ibiza to see family in May and celebrate my Wifes 60 th birtday has already been cancelled . So decided I would buy myself a little something to cheer me up this is going to become my daily wearer for a while just love the look and work that has gone in to it.

https://www.christopherward.co.uk/c60-sapphire-blue-mk-3-1

CW don't get a lot of love. A lot of it is down to snobbery, however I think if there is a fair criticism it's that they have no resale value once used, unlike the other brands. That said, I don't buy the "never lose money on a Rolex" routine . A friend of mine has, about 4 or 5 years ago he bought a Sub, cost about 5k or so. Kept it in a safe and wore it on special occasions. Fancied a fancier one, so traded it in with the dealer. Ouch. I think he got about £1500 back, and had to take out another finance deal for the new one. Hardly never losing money.

Must admit I never look at watches an investment purchase like I buy wine to drink i buy a watch to wear . For the last about twenty years I have worn a Zenith Elite which i love . But truthfully just fancied a change and the sapphire dial was such a different look that I thought what the hell . Got a £100 voucher of the price and bought it on 12 months interest free credit so did not hurt that much . Just keeping my fingers crossed that it looks as good if not better in the flesh .

CW don't get a lot of love. A lot of it is down to snobbery, however I think if there is a fair criticism it's that they have no resale value once used, unlike the other brands. That said, I don't buy the "never lose money on a Rolex" routine . A friend of mine has, about 4 or 5 years ago he bought a Sub, cost about 5k or so. Kept it in a safe and wore it on special occasions. Fancied a fancier one, so traded it in with the dealer. Ouch. I think he got about £1500 back, and had to take out another finance deal for the new one. Hardly never losing money.

Mistake: PXing to dealer.

The dealer would’ve had a willing buyer waiting for just that watch, and in the last five years the buyer would have been happy to pay list or maybe over. Live and learn, I suppose.

^this. Sounds like he was buying a new watch too. The keepers are those with more vintage. As more baby boomers come online, the market for birthyear watches is - er - booming.

I really liked the look of the Chris Ward watches and was about to push the button on one of their dive watches a few months back. I joined their forum and reading through some of the absolutely scandalous CS stories they have completely put me off.

A friend of mine ... about 4 or 5 years ago he bought a Sub, cost about 5k or so. Kept it in a safe and wore it on special occasions. Fancied a fancier one, so traded it in with the dealer. Ouch. I think he got about £1500 back, and had to take out another finance deal for the new one. Hardly never losing money.

By 'ek. I'm guessing he wasn't a Yorkshire lad then.. :)

Spending some lockdown time on Ebay has meant another cheap old automatic watch being added to my little collection - this one I don't know a huge amount about but I think it's maybe 80's:

170730237.3o05doAz.jpg

Spending some lockdown time on Ebay has meant another cheap old automatic watch being added to my little collection - this one I don't know a huge amount about but I think it's maybe 80's:

170730237.3o05doAz.jpg

Great look, I love blue dials like that. Strange symbol, I've not seen that before.

For some reason it looks kind of Russian to me...

Great look, I love blue dials like that. Strange symbol, I've not seen that before.

It's an odd moving anchor thing - I think all the Rado automatics from the 60's onwards have it, and it tells you something about whether they need serviced. I've got another Rado Companion (a black faced one from the 70's I think) and it also has it.

This one I liked the blue dial and just the general look of it.

Nice. I like the blue strap with the blue dial, but that case design is crying out for an integrated bracelet (IMHO of course).

advertisement

Back