advertisement

Harbeth XD - What's The Difference

The XD range is not yet available. The models will appear one by one at the end of March/beginning April and during the following weeks.

There are no more 40th Anniversary models as they were a limited edition and now all sold.

Will the standard models be phased out?

New price for XD models seems to be a significant jump in price. If there isn't much difference in performance then I might look to pick up a pair of c7es-3's at the current price. Need to home demo first though.

Anyone know of a hifi price inflation graph anywhere?
I bought brand new HLP P3es in 1998 for £800. How much are they now?

I think M30's had a list price of about £2000 in 2005.
M30 is too shut-in and rolled off in the treble in comparison to M30.1 and 30.2. In other terms it sounds muddled. I wouldn't consider it even if it's sold at half price.

I'm very interested on the comparison between M30.2 40th Anniversary and M30.2 XD. If anyone is able to compare both side by side please let me know your impressions.

As a side note, has anyone compared ATC SCM19 to M30.2. I know it's all subjective but if you have the choice, which one would you pick? Which one will reproduce the tone of piano more convincingly, the SCM19 or M30.2.

I am going to be auditioning two very different speakers over the next week or two. B&w 705 s2 and harbeth c7es-3 anniversary.. Looking forward to see which I prefer. Dealer is also recommending spendor A4, so might give them a try too

M

I'm very interested on the comparison between M30.2 40th Anniversary and M30.2 XD. If anyone is able to compare both side by side please let me know your impressions.

There shouldn't be any difference - see my previous post.

Just had a short comparison between Harbeth SHL5+ Anniversary and the new SHL5+ XD. They are certainly not the same speakers, though visually they appear similar. XD have more pronounced highs, seem to be more detailed and aggressive, the bass also sounded tighter and better. They're still need to burn in though. Overall I liked the XD very much. Considering the price of the speakers, I am disappointed with the cheaper look of the plugs. There's also visible foam inside the air hole.

Just had a short comparison between Harbeth SHL5+ Anniversary and the new SHL5+ XD. They are certainly not the same speakers, though visually they appear similar. XD have more pronounced highs, seem to be more detailed and aggressive, the bass also sounded tighter and better. They're still need to burn in though. Overall I liked the XD very much. Considering the price of the speakers, I am disappointed with the cheaper look of the plugs. There's also visible foam inside the air hole.

Hm, but A.S. said they are. I'm afraid to say that I trust his words about the speaker he designed more than a listening session. BTW: The visible foam inside of the speaker port is normal and makes sense (damping).

I've read the 40th and XD are virtually same speakers but re-named.

Not that I trust everything but what I've heard from several larger harbeths, their bas performance did not justify the price-tag.

Pleased if they solved this finally.

I've read the 40th and XD are virtually same speakers but re-named.
Yes in case of the SHL5 plus X.P.
Not that I trust everything but what I've heard from several larger harbeths, their bass performance did not justify the price-tag.
Bass performance of which version?
Pleased if they solved this finally.
No, if you have heard the plus/plus 40th version before, because: ...the plus 40th and plus XD are virtually same speakers but re-named.[/QUOTE]

Aren’t most Harbeth models a rehash of old BBC designs? They are not as a business exactly at the forefront of speaker design (some would argue they don’t need to be as all the hard work was done 40+ years ago). The only innovation I have seen is that their speaker cones can withstand the weight of a house brick.

Alan Shaw is a brilliant marketing man whose arguments around cables/amplifiers etc are consistently contradicted by himself. His Anniversary models and now XD variants prove this. Do as I say and not as I do seems to be his philosophy.

Spent some time on the HUG when I went through a few pairs of Harbeths and was ripped apart by the man himself when I went against the grain.Left a sour taste. You might be able to tell....

I won’t be going back - to the HUG or Harbeth Speakers.

advertisement

Back