advertisement

£600 System Challenge.

Funnily enough, the Yamaha was another unit I was going to suggest besides the Denon PMA-30, both would be very flexible and prove good VFM... I recommended the Denon because my parents recently put on in their garden bar, along with a pair of Q Acoustics 3020i, it’s really excellent, it doesn’t have a built in phono stage but that wouldn’t be an issue with the Planar 1 plus. The Yamaha is an equally good suggestion.

The PMA 30 looks more like a WXA-50, which would be a great option if compact size was a requirement. A 602 is more powerful and a notch up really. Both have all the streaming services built in plus internet radio etc. WXA-50 has no phono stage but as you say, get a deck with one built in.

Good luck with that. S/h Turntables have got silly expensive in last few years.

Really? This is all kit I have sitting around....(apart from the RA02 - but there's one on Ebay at the moment)...must check prices. They were only £160 odd when new.

Really? This is all kit I have sitting around....(apart from the RA02 - but there's one on Ebay at the moment)...must check prices. They were only £160 odd when new.

Seems to be quite a big variation in prices. Some selling for around £50 for sellers unwilling to post; with others fetching much more (£250 for a veneered rather than black one in the US without an arm).
Although to be fair with a bit a patience and luck with location, looking at eBay, you probably are about right.
Turntable prices have gone crazy though, no more cheap PL-12s any more.

Can you link to this (guessing you haven’t seen it in store at this present time!??!) because all I can find is “no longer available” or has it recently been removed from sale - at £20 I was gonna order one myself but can’t find it.

Good luck with that. S/h Turntables have got silly expensive in last few years.
Says £19.95 on best offers but must have sold out.Not surprised really.
Del

Another vote for Richers.

I wouldn't try to drag someone into this weird hobby. Also, forget reviews or opinions - let them look and listen for themselves.

A lot of suggestions in this thread are enough to put someone off listening to music forever! :eek:

No point in going for new speakers in a mix of new and old gear, speakers age way better than amplifiers in my experience.

Get the P1 plus (has built in phono stage), I'd then take them to Richer Sounds and recommend the Donon dm41 or whatever number they are at. With the change there will be a fair choice of speakers to choose from.

My first proper stereo was a denon dm30 which I got for an 18th birthday present and was excellent. I still have a denon dm35 in a spare room with some monitor audio bronze speakers and sounds great. You can't really go wrong in my opinion. Can also buy a chrome cast audio from ebay for about £30 connect it via the optical toss link to add streaming so you cover all basis.

All brand new and all guaranteed (excluding the chrome cast audio).

I'd second the Denon 41. I had one (40 I think) briefly as a stand in - hooked up to a pair of B&W Matrix 3's it fared better than it had any right to. Sounded surprisingly good streaming from Spotify over BT too, in a background kinda way. That and a P1 or Pro-Ject equivalent, or an AT-LP5, should do quite nicely. A pair of small Dali bookshelf speaks to round it off.

My journey with British hi-fi began at university with a Cyrus 2/PSX an LP12, SME3009/K18 and some home made (Seas) speaker, then a Mission DAD7000..... it was superb.

My journey with British hi-fi began at university with a Cyrus 2/PSX an LP12, SME3009/K18 and some home made (Seas) speaker, then a Mission DAD7000..... it was superb.
They’ve certainly being going for a long time and don’t seem to get the attention they deserve perhaps?

So my sister and brother-in-law have had there ageing stack system taken by daughter #1 who has recently moved in with her new partner.

There are wanting an integrated amp,CDP and TT based system with small bookshelf speakers, all for £600... tough call i agree so thought I'd tap your brains for ideas :)
Second the Denon DM-41. The Denon speakers are ok, I spent a bit more and added Dynaudio Emit 10 for what I think is very nice bedroom system.

advertisement

Back