advertisement

Bluesound Node 2i upgrades

Ginger

pfm Member
I changed the power interface and supply on my Node 2i with a second-hand Fidelity Audio circuit board and PSU - the most basic one they do. I'm not really convinced by it but having changed the interface I am now free to try better PSU's , either from Fidelity Audio or elsewhere.

I'm now also aware hat Teddy pardo is releasing a full upgrade for the Node. Again, change the litle board inside, plus one of their PSU's. That's quite expensive (due to the pound I guess) but I had excellent results with a Squeezebox touch and Teddy PSU previously - really heard benefits with that.

Anyone else have any experience on fiddling with the 2i power supply?

Not me, But I did upgrade the flimsy power cable to an Audioquest NRG-Y series, that made the sound more natural and effortless.

Andrew

Did the Fidelity Audio upgrade myself recently as the original power supply circuit failed. To me it sounds a lot better detailed with a fair few I haven't heard that before moment's. I'm using the smps supplied from F A but hope to try a linear PS soon.

Are you guys using the DAC in your 2i? Mine streams in to a Chord TT and should really have a listen the Bluesound DAC.

I have tried it without a DAC and in comparison with my Beresford Caiman II and Dorado PSU. The Beresford is noticeably better (an outstanding DAC), but the Bluesound internal DAC is accomplished and fluid. Worth trying out and seeing whether or not you are missing out.

Andrew

I’ve plugged straight to pre-amp and via Audiolab CDQ dac section. Going to have another swop around tomorrow but I think straight to pre-amp may get the nod

It’s very good when using its onboard DAC but nowhere near as good as through my Roksan K3 DAC though.

I have the same combo, and yes, the differences are vastly in favour of the K3, even when volume matched. I do often wonder if something like an Aurelic G1 would sound better, but beyond me at the moment.

BTW I am finding with the Node 2i, optical sounds better than Coax (perhaps better circuits?). Anyone else concur or otherwise?

Probably also subject to the relative quality of the receiver in your/my DAC.

Andrew

You lose the mqa functionality if you go optical or coax to offboard dac. I’m back on Tidal, straight to preamp and enjoying it like that. Think I might consider that Teddy Pardo kit but seems like a lot of dosh for an unknown outcome .

You lose the mqa functionality if you go optical or coax to offboard dac. I’m back on Tidal, straight to preamp and enjoying it like that. Think I might consider that Teddy Pardo kit but seems like a lot of dosh for an unknown outcome .
Have you got a link to the Teddy Pardo upgrade?
Is it just a power supply or something more?

BTW I am finding with the Node 2i, optical sounds better than Coax (perhaps better circuits?). Anyone else concur or otherwise?

Andrew
I use optical out with my Vault 2 (streamer part same as node 2) and I definitely prefer it to coax out.
Only disadvantage - a bit flaky with 24/192 but I can live with that for the improved sound quality.

Have you got a link to the Teddy Pardo upgrade?
Is it just a power supply or something more?

No I haven’t. I emailed with a query about something else and drifted to the node (a long story). They reckon they’re ready to ship but it’s not on their website.

I gather it’s changing a small board in the node (same as I’ve done for the fidelity audio and it’s dead easy) plus an offboard psu.

Maybe contact them, there’s a link on their site.

No I haven’t. I emailed with a query about something else and drifted to the node (a long story). They reckon they’re ready to ship but it’s not on their website.

I gather it’s changing a small board in the node (same as I’ve done for the fidelity audio and it’s dead easy) plus an offboard psu.

Maybe contact them, there’s a link on their site.
Thanks for that - I may well do when I have an income again..!

Andrew
I prefer coax, sounds more natural and a little fuller, as you say, could depend on the dac, and the cabling.

I use a Node 2i via coax into my Naim 272 DAC i have tried optical but also prefer coax.

Interested in this PSU upgrade for the Node but do you notice any benefits if you opt to use an external DAC.

I'm no golden eared expert but I would say it's very good on its own but since I have done the change it sounds a lot more detailed especially in the highs and mids through my DAC IMHO.

A bit of a luddite I am, but is it true to say that if the off board dac is mqa enabled, then you retain the mqa function?
Thanks in advance

advertisement

Back