advertisement

The Photography Purchase Confessional Thread (GAS)

Mr Perceptive

Perceptive Member
Now, nearly all of us suffer from some form of photography GAS, I don't know a photographer who doesn't! I thought it might be 'interesting' to have a thread for all those lovely photography related purchases we make - some of them might be useful to others.

In the last week I have 'sinned' and bought the following:-

The Last Stand - By Marc Wilson https://www.marcwilson.co.uk/book-print-sales/the-last-stand-book

TLS+13.jpg

Set of 13 issues of Black+White Photography 2013 (eBay), I need 6 of these issues to complete my collection of every issue. What is it about the male collecting gene that forces this?

s-l500.jpg

The Militarisation of Dartmoor by Nicholas White https://anotherplacepress.bigcartel.com/product/the-militarisation-of-dartmoor-nicholas-j-r-white

TMODfrontcovershop.jpg

Portra Orginal Preset Pack from Mastin Labs
https://mastinlabs.com/products/mastin-labs-portra-original-pack/

PRODUCT-Portra-O-FEATURED-IMAGE-A-2020-Q1.jpg

Myrkvifiörd by John Irvine https://anotherplacepress.bigcartel.com/product/john-irvine-myrkvifiord

myrkcovershop.jpg

The positive thing is that I've not actually succumbed to any cameras/lenses/tripods/etc but I'm not sure this staying at home is good for my wallet - I will try to do better next week :D

I'm about to photograph surplus kit - as a result of strategic upgrades - over the last six months. To prepare for sale. They're all rational responses to what I shoot, and am consequently firmly in denial about suffering GAS!

The coming sale list - with back story of 'why are you quitting that? Oh I see, you bought some carefully considered equipment. Right, not GAS then'.

Nikon D3s. I shoot sports, and have had three D3 bodies since 2015, and sold sold my D700 (a gripped D700 is heavier than a D3, and handles worse). I'd also sold one D3, so a D3s bought at reasonable price and then thoroughly serviced, seemed a good opportunity for more buffer and the better performance. I sold my best D3 (reasoning that three bodies - although nice - was uncalled for), while I dispatched the D3s for service. Not a favourable outcome; the D3s had been dropped, it was uneconomic to repair. Value slashed, replacement needed (see below). Your Honour, I chanced it and was caught off guard; not GAS, it was all strategic. You'll note I sold kit to balance out the inventory almost immediately.

Nikon D3. I acquired a well-used D4 from a pro, after the D3s wrong-turn (above). The cost of D4 service was higher than I expected/estimated (though within the service agent's final quote). Result is I have a very fresh D4 fully serviced, new shutter, rubbers, should be great for years. I like it very much. Then soon after paying for the service, I found a D4s for a little less than what I was into the D4 for (and 1/5 of the use). Oh well, sell my D3, end up with (effectively) a pair of D4 bodies for handling consistency (I often shoot with a body on each shoulder; I errr may have recently acquired a Black Rapid double harness to aid ergonomics. Again I underscore this isn't GAS, it's to avoid injury! The D4s is lovely, BTW. No your Honour, it's not about the extra four megapixels; it's about the improved colour, focussing, and the self-cleaning sensor significantly reducing post-processing time.

Nikon SB-700 Flash. I have two, that I run from the SU-800 commander. And an SB-900. And then suddenly a pair of SB-900's came up at a reasonable price. Boom. A man doesn't need five flashes, though I'll keep one SB700 for when I need to carry flash but need light weight. I'll be trying more multi-speedlight shooting soon. (I admit, the acquisition of the second and third SB900's may look a little bit like GAS, esp when you consider the below...) Err yes your Honour, one does need a number of speedlights when photographing in warehouses and storage facilities.

250w/s Studio Flash. Bought this years ago, and have produced decent portrais and real estate shoots with it, as well as product photography. I no longer need it, as an opportunity arose last year to pick up a Bowens Gemini 400 w/s twin kit for buttons (you know, that price you can't walk past, a third of the new price?). It came with stands, dual soft boxes, and the remote controller module. Oh wow. Now I can speedily shoot two-light portraits, and as it came in a handy case, much easier to carry to another location than stuffing umbrellas, light, cables, reflector etc into a sports bag. I'd been keeping an eye out for an Elinchrom 500 w/s kit, though never saw them at a price I found compelling. Yes your honour, I did have my eye firmly on budget. No your Honour, I don't usually carry quite that much in my wallet as an everyday practice.

AF-Nikkor 20mm f2.8D. Again, had it for years, love that it's compact, and it's very good. Though I found a 16-35 f4 VR at a great price, earlier last year. The zoom is sharp, AF is better... it's more useful, though the downside (of the zoom) is it's heavier and takes up more space. f2.8 vs f4 - negligible when working wide... so the 20mm has to go. Was the zoom GAS? I think not. Carrying a 20mm and 35 mm prime, and changing between them - shot missed. With respect, your Honour, I suggest this is the sacrifice of a loyal pawn to gain a powerful bishop?

Rain Cape. Used this in the wet a couple of times, found it a bloody hassle. Better than a bin bag and gaffer tape, but not much. I bought what I should've gotten in the first place: Think Tank Hydrophobia Rain Cover and eyepiece to suit. Yes they're pricey, but cheaper than losing your kit to water damage when shooting in inclement weather. An investment in protecting gear from a rainy day, your Honour?

Filter Wallet. It was cheap, seemed a good idea, but in practice turned out to be difficult to use in the field. I replaced it with the MindShift filter nest - much better! Top loading, compact. Ahhh. If it pleases your Honour, I throw myself upon the mercy of the court.

My sentence? A couple of handbags and some shoes? Yes your honour. Thank you, your Honour.

Derek that's brilliant! I stopped using Aperture about four years ago, transitioned to Lr with a great workflow by taking a Mark Galer course. I'll have a look at Retroactive, though I think it's time to rip off the band aid. As BB King sang, The Thrill is Gone (when Apple stopped developing Aperture)!

I've always fancied one. Pete, if you don't yet have a Nikon 24-70 2.8G, snap that one up at 400 quid!
Deffo a drool worthy lens that 200/f2.

I have a 24-70 f2.8, and it cost me more than that!

Pete

Bought mine brand spanking new after hiring one for a weekend, I'm constantly amazed some 3.5 years later.

Not bought anything for quite a long time now, but soon to buy a D850. Been resisting it since last summer. Still have my old D300 and a D500 so don't really need another body, but what the hell.

I am thinking of getting myself a new tripod as my old Manfrotto MT190 CX Pro 4 has fallen apart on me :( Plan A should be to get it repaired but I've lost a little faith in it. Plus it would be nice to have something a bit lighter for big days out with lots climbing. I like the look of the Benro TMA18c but can't find it for sale anywhere!

Lefty

I am thinking of getting myself a new tripod as my old Manfrotto MT190 CX Pro 4 has fallen apart on me :( Plan A should be to get it repaired but I've lost a little faith in it. Plus it would be nice to have something a bit lighter for big days out with lots climbing. I like the look of the Benro TMA18c but can't find it for sale anywhere!

Lefty

Camerapricebuster show it as a discontinued tripod - https://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk...ro-Mach3-TMA18C-Carbon-Fibre-4-Section-Tripod

advertisement

Back