advertisement

Naim CD3 repair or upgrade?

Hi managed to get a donor player still to strip it.
Ok finally got din leads to hook up and try the cd3.

Am not convinced it's the laser or transport it spins up freely and reads toc and tries to play.

The issue is on the output I'd say. As soon as the player is powered up not playing no disc in it it emits a clicking noise.

This does not change if trying to play a cd and is constant.

On hearing this I powered it down right away as to me that is an electrical fault.

So where do I start with this now?

Give up and bin it or send it to an expert or what basic things can I check for myself?

Thanks as ever

Clicking noise from the transport or the audio output? Either way I'd put money on a regulator shutting down due to overheating and shutting off, then cooling, then getting too hot... Usually due to faulty capacitors.

I'd say the audio output as constant not just transport.

Is this fixable or likely to have damaged the audio output I know it's hard enough to get transport so is the audio side the same?

no errors shown just no output only the clicking noise definitely something electrical that I hope can be fixed easily now I have a donor player I don't want give up on this

I would Check firstly your cables just in case of damaged solder connections, same with the din socket on the back of the unit. Clicking or crackling could indicate a poor solder joint?

It's new flashback cables and I have tried both din to din and din to rca so assume it's an electrical issue might be the time to look at upgrade as I know it would benefit from a service and generally a fettle

Just sell it to me :)

I’d take a look at it for you, but am based in Switzerland.

thanks for the offer but I want to hear it before I get rid of it haha.

I bought it to see if it can better my Rega Apollo I still want to try that comparison

I bought it to see if it can better my Rega Apollo I still want to try that comparison

I recently bought a cheap Apollo-R to try against my CDI, nice sounding CDP but it lasted no more than 4 hours in system and has been sold on :)

Probably a bit rude, just give Witch Hat Audio a ring and ask how much. They can fit phono outs and digital outs if necessary. My CD1 was serviced by Witch Hat some years back still going strong. Understand you might not want the spend, but recognising when out of skill set is a useful attribute to develop o_O

Check the tantalum bead caps next to the voltage regs, should be easy to find any are done for as they can go closed circuit.

advertisement

Back