advertisement

Amazon HD Music and streamers.

The internet seems to be awash at the moment with people moaning about the inability to find a streamer that will work seamlessly with this service.

BluOS devices seem to be the best bet, but the implementation seems to be clunky at best. The BluOS people blame Amazon for the problems.

Does anyone have any experiences they'd care to share?

My cousin was looking into this very recently and it seems that Amazon wants you to purchase their own streamers for this purpose, they have a range of products on offer but he was in the process of upgrading his system. After investing in some older Linn kit two years ago, and using the Linn DS platform at my house, he decided he wanted a Linn DS wanted (He bought a bargain used Majik DSM)... he subscribed to Qobuz instead. If Amazon open the platform properly to other manufacturers to enable them to develop proper integration, I’m sure many will jump on board. Linn offer proper integration with just about every other service, so if Amazon pops up, I’ll give it a try. Right now, it makes zero sense for me to have to invest in inferior kit to what I already have in order to use their service, which is only £2 a month cheaper than Qobuz.

The best you can really do is Airplay it.I use Sharetunes. Sounds very decent.
AirPlay works, and quite well, but on a Linn DS, you can hear the difference between Qobuz played through AirPlay and played directly on the DS itself... the latter is better.

AirPlay works, and quite well, but on a Linn DS, you can hear the difference between Qobuz played through AirPlay and played directly on the DS itself... the latter is better.
Yes it’s not as good but it’s better than Bluetooth. I plait through Sharetunes LMS.

A Fire TV stick or box is about 20 quid if bought on offer.

If you have the means to use hdmi that's it sorted. I have the stick plugged in the back of an Oppo 105 then analogue out from the Oppo to pre amp.

I confess I haven't tried the extra cost HD stream yet so don't know how it performs connected this way but what I have is proving useful.

Jim

Hi Folks

I have trialing the amazon HD free 3 months

Im playing it on my old mac book pro /JK 32 DAC / RSL 72/ 250 (Zap) / Ruark crusaders

The UHD files sound amazing. They give my lp12 / nima / DV20 low output a run for no money at all!!!!! Really - this makes me want to forget my TT and LPs

I cant get the app controlled from my phone or ipad 2 though

Mike

If you have the means to use hdmi that's it sorted. I have the stick plugged in the back of an Oppo 105 then analogue out from the Oppo to pre amp.

That sounds like a plan. Are you controlling it with the firestick remote and the tv display, or can it be it be done via an app display?

Would you really support a company that treats its employees like shit, especially now in corona times?

There is a remote app for Amazon Fire tablets but whether it works on other android devices I don't know. Happy to try if it's helpful.
Since the Oppo is attached to the TV anyway I usually just use the fire remote and have the TV on while browsing.

Jim

advertisement

Back