advertisement

Next Labour Leader: Keir Starmer

Status
Not open for further replies.
By a landslide: Starmer 56%, L-B 27%, Nandy 16%.

PS Sky suggesting the left are about to lose quite a bit of influence in the NEC too. Maybe this can move the party towards a more electable future. Looks like the penny has finally dropped with the unions etc that this was a contest between potential political power and ideological purity in opposition. Good!

If anyone says Finally the grownups are back in charge I am going to lose it.

He’s going to have to disappoint someone and it will be interesting to see who it turns out to be. Given that the worst of the PLP have gone there’s no particular need to cosset the right, but ...

Thank God. Views are important but competence even more so. in my book, right person for the job and I hope he moves Nandy close and Long Johnson into something worthy but distant.

I'm far from sure about Rayner as deputy, too earnest by far and puts me on edge within milliseconds of starting to talk...........

It is a real missed opportunity that Dr Rosin Allin-Khan didn’t get it IMO. She is a kind, articulate and highly knowledgeable front-line voice in this global pandemic. She’d also act as a token gesture to a now no doubt despondent extreme left. Whilst the ideological left have once again proven they render the party unelectable I think it makes far more sense for Labour to keep them in their box within the party than the outright purge that was necessary to get shut of the Hattons etc in the 1980s. It will be interesting to see how Starmer handles that one, if I was him I’d make Dr Allin-Khan shadow health secretary ASAP.

PS I’ve locked the old leadership election thread as it was getting way too long and we now have a result!

If anyone says Finally the grownups are back in charge I am going to lose it.

He’s going to have to disappoint someone and it will be interesting to see who it turns out to be. Given that the worst of the PLP have gone there’s no particular need to cosset the right, but ...

We won't have to wait long before the witch hunt begins.

On another note, as a party member for most of the last 35 years, I don't know if Starmer is up to it, but he will drive out the Corbyn faction from any power and make Labour at least seem competent. On Corbyn, his domestic policies were not much different Miliband, but his International positions made me ashamed and of course his anti-Semitism disgraced us. Relieved.

On another note, as a party member for most of the last 35 years, I don't know if Starmer is up to it, but he will drive out the Corbyn faction from any power and make Labour at least seem competent. On Corbyn, his domestic policies were not much different Miliband, but his International positions made me ashamed and of course his anti-Semitism disgraced us. Relieved.
I hope so. The most undisciplined power obsessed group of leaders I’ve ever seen. They drove the party into the ground and if they don’t walk away in shame, they should be driven out.A shameful period that has blemished the party forever. And Corbyn above it all, a man over promoted and as arrogant as they come. He should have stayed in the shed of his allotment.

This is the sort of drivel we can expect from Starmer

He said that Labour would “have the courage to support” the Tory government during the coronavirus crisis "in the national interest" “Not opposition for opposition’s sake”. “Not scoring party political points or making impossible demands.”

He said that Labour would “have the courage to support” the Tory government during the coronavirus crisis "in the national interest" “Not opposition for opposition’s sake”. “Not scoring party political points or making impossible demands.”
That was the best part of his speech. Certainly better than Corbyn's, "We told you so" riff.

That was the best part of his speech. Certainly better than Corbyn's, "We told you so" riff.

You better start praying now - they used to say 'there's two hopes in life, Bob Hope and no bl**dy hope, now Bob's dead...

I think you’ll find Starmer will turn out to be an awful antisemite as soon as that becomes necessary.

I’m glad though that people are finding ways to reconcile themselves with the left’s program, even if it requires this kind of memory holing.

Politically he will have to tread carefully until he can shake the Corbynist s**t off the party’s shoes.I guarantee he knows what he is doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back