advertisement

Pre Amp/DAC

Mallard

Hi all
I Have a Pre Amp/DAC in my system that has failed, I’m going to have it repaired at some stage but under present circumstances it’s looking unlikely for a couple of months, I’m wondering if there is any suggestions for a short term replacement without spending too much and also weather I’d even be able to get it delivered. In these times of isolation listening to some nice music is more important than ever.
It would be paired with singular bel canto power amp and some small monitor speakers.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Beresford Caiman SEG and Dorado, modded by Stan (2 weeks for the mods)

It's not perfect, but close, considerably better than my old pre/DAC that cost 4x as much.

In your case I would just buy the Caiman SEG, see if you like it and then you can add a power supply conditioner, Dorado, and have the mods done later if you choose.

They are posted from London and would be with you in a couple of days. See Art of Sound, Digital, Beresford Blog, for more information.

Thanks very much for the suggestions!
Audiolab MDAC? Seem to fetch about £250 on eBay, though none on offer today.
I like the idea of this as I have XLR cables ready to go, is there anything similar as as you say don’t seem to be available.

I like the idea of this as I have XLR cables ready to go, is there anything similar as as you say don’t seem to be available.
They sold very well, so there will be plenty about, so I suspect one will crop up on eBay soon, or maybe ask in the classifieds here. Mine is a Lakewest Modified unit, but I'm very pleased with it. The original standard one completely outperformed the DAC / Preamp combo I was about to buy some years ago, and saved me about £6,000.

Possibly more than you want to spend but there are some really good deals floating around on the Teac NT-505 which is a Pre/Streamer/DAC.

Received mine yesterday, it's well built and sounds very good indeed and the Lumin app is actually pretty good for control. MQA files via Tidal sounding quite impressive thus far.

Possibly more than you want to spend but there are some really good deals floating around on the Teac NT-505 which is a Pre/Streamer/DAC.

Received mine yesterday, it's well built and sounds very good indeed and the Lumin app is actually pretty good for control. MQA files via Tidal sounding quite impressive thus far.

Cheers but you’re right it’s about twice the top end of what I’m looking to spend but has all the right connections
Just to add I’ll be streaming tidal through sonos & using a cdt also

Beresfords are a great dac, although can’t comment on the pre stage as solely used it as a dac. Great value for money and hold their second hand price well, so as an interim it’s probably worth looking at. Stan has always provided great service and helpful advise.

Beresfords are a great dac, although can’t comment on the pre stage as solely used it as a dac. Great value for money and hold their second hand price well, so as an interim it’s probably worth looking at. Stan has always provided great service and helpful advise.
There a new upgrade for the SEG that Stan says really improves the pre side in case anyone is interested.

advertisement

Back