advertisement

What are you going to do whilst in lockdown?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The kids need haircuts. I can't decide wich one to go for.
49693875453_b3841c5541_b.jpg

Give them any one of those cuts and there's no way they'll step out the front door.

This could be the way forward. Time to hide my boy's tracksuit and replace it with some nice brown flares.

Give them any one of those cuts and there's no way they'll step out the front door.

This could be the way forward. Time to hide my boy's tracksuit and replace it with some nice brown flares.

If you find some let me know, I have been looking for flares for years, denim pref. but corduroy if the colour is right. None of this bell-bottom shiz, propah flares. Not blinking hipsters either.

I’ve been homeschooling my daughter in the garden today, this will become a daily event if the weather holds out. We’re both in much, much better spirits for it and she’s able to hold her attention way better outdoors!
Just had a mare with my 8 year old son. I'm having to do French class over the phone, as mum can't speak French, and they are all in England right now. He spent the whole lesson sulking that he could not play on his Nintendo.

A good whipping might help for tomorrow.

Just had a mare with my 8 year old son. I'm having to do French class over the phone, as mum can't speak French, and they are all in England right now. He spent the whole lesson sulking that he could not play on his Nintendo.

A good whipping might help for tomorrow.
It’s a tough adjustment for kids, especially younger kids. You’re probably doing it anyway but a property structured routine is really important, and do the academic stuff in a couple of sessions earlier in the day as much as possible. By the afternoon, primary school kid’s attention span is generally non existent, do the fun stuff after lunch.

PS, my thoughts are with you, it must be very tough with the family split apart right now.

Someone in teaching sent me this. Made me laugh.

Parents! A lot of you will be starting your own journey into teaching tomorrow. Please read the advice below to make sure you get it right!

1. Before teaching anything, always remember to write down exactly what is going to happen during that time, including any questions you are going to ask, what the learning objective of what you are teaching is, what the success criteria of the lesson is and how you will know if children have met this, not met this or exceeded this. This must happen for every lesson, regardless of how much of an expert you are in teaching the subject and how many times you’ve previously taught it. If you fail to do this, children will not learn. At the end of the lesson, you must write on the plan how the lesson went, who met the success criteria and who didn’t and what you intend to do to address this issue. If you fail to do this, children will not learn.

2. After teaching any lesson, be sure to write detailed comments on the work the children have done, including three things they have done well and one thing to improve. This is known as three stars and a wish and must be done regardless of whether children have the ability to read the comments. If they can’t read them, you must still write them but write ‘vf’ beside them which stands for verbal feedback. Then you must read the comments out loud to the child. If you fail to do this, children will not learn. Any marking carried out must be done in a variety of coloured pens and highlighters and responded to by children in a different colour pen. Pens of the appropriate colours will disappear on a daily basis never to be seen again.

3. You must make sure that lessons are long enough but not so long that children get bored. If you have more than one child, you must make sure that every child gets equal chance to speak answering questions that are carefully directed to be challenging for them but not too challenging. If they do seem bored, that is your fault and you must make the lesson more engaging. If you fail to do this, children will not learn.

4. Every day, you must remember to include teaching on maths, English, reading, phonics, handwriting, fine motor skills, some kind of topic, something promoting social and emotional health and some outdoor time. If you fail to do this, children will not learn.

5. Most children are not able to learn when another child is ‘looking at them’. Please prevent this from happening at any time. If you fail to do this, children will not learn.

6. You are responsible for making sure children do not lose jumpers, gloves, shoes, socks, PE clothes, glasses and lunchboxes. It’s fine if they aren’t labelled as most children recognise their own and other’s belongings by smell alone.

7. Children aged 6 and under should be taught to read words that don’t exist in the English language. Don’t be fooled if they can read actual sentences fluently and understand what they are reading. If they can’t read the words ‘strombron’, ‘clightning’ and ‘fraw’ then they will not be successful later in life.

8. All children should be able to recognise a fronted adverbial, a determiner and whether something is written in an active or passive voice. Never mind that you didn’t learn this in school, will have to Google to discover what this means and that it will not be used beyond Year 6. It’s important. If you fail to do this, your children will not learn.

9. Remember that sentences should only be punctuated with an exclamation mark if they start with the words ‘how’ or ‘what’. You may be thinking ‘what a silly rule!’ or ‘how ridiculous!’ but every piece of writing should include this.

10. Tidying up resources generally causes children to urgently need to wee. Scientists have not yet determined why but it is an ever-occurring phenomenon.

11. Be prepared for being asked how long until lunchtime. This should begin around ten past nine and continue around every ten minutes until lunch.

12. Most injuries are instantly cured with a mini ice-pack.

13. Someone from a different home-school (maybe a neighbour or one of your children’s friend’s parents) should be allowed to come and watch (via a window, obviously) your lesson. They may arrive late and leave early but they will still be allowed to comment on parts of the lesson they haven’t seen as if you didn’t teach it. Afterwards, they will give you their opinion on how you did and give you something you need to improve. You won’t remember any of the good things they say but the suggested improvement will be imprinted upon your brain until death.

14. It would be useful if every now and then you can sit at a table and explain to your partner how well their / your child is doing at school. Don’t forget to have targets for the children to practise and preferably write them a short report that says exactly the same thing.

15. At the end of the teaching year, please write a 4 page report to let your child’s teacher know exactly what they can do and what the teacher should practise with them. It would be useful if you could add photos too and also the child’s thoughts on how well they are doing.

16. If you have children of different genders, or children born in different seasons or with differing needs, don’t forget to compare them to make sure you are doing the best for everyone and not leaving any groups out. Use percentages to compare this and never mind that the small number of children may give misleading statistics.

17. When you read a story, don’t forget that it needs actions and a range of voices for each character.

18. If you work with children under 5, remember that if you didn’t photograph it and write about it, it didn’t happen.

19. Don’t forget about assembly. Singing songs you remember from the Come and Praise book is still a thing. Supplement with something from Twinkl about British values and you’ve cracked it.

20. If it’s windy and the children have been outside, forget it! Just write the day off and try again tomorrow.

21. Don’t forget to learn a song and poems for many different occasions throughout the year and to perform these to relatives. Actions and printed resources are mandatory. This will involve much rehearsal time saying the same things repeatedly and grinning like a maniac to encourage children to smile.

22. If you are considering arranging a school trip, it will be sufficient to go to your garden, eat the packed lunch and return to the house. Most children are only really bothered about the lunch and will be happy once it’s been eaten.

23. It is normal for children to repeatedly blurt out any answer and keep guessing until they see the appropriate reaction on your face. What is 4 plus 3? “Nine, five, one hundred and four, orange, zero, eighteen?” Keep calm and don’t shout, no matter how many times it happens.

24. When a child is writing and reaches the end of a page, they will often ask if they can turn the page to continue. Avoid sarcastic remarks such as ‘no, just write on the desk’ as they will.

25. Be prepared to explain what you want the child to do several times, including using picture prompts. Be ready for this information to be forgotten in the time it takes to pick up a pencil.

26. You will be regularly required to ‘watch this!’ Watching this can be anything from a cartwheel, to a ‘magic’ trick, to a made up joke, to a leap from on height, to a dance routine and much, much more. Appropriately smiling facial gesture and words of encouragement are paramount. You are not allowed to mutter obscenities under your breath at any point, even if it is the 109th watch this of the day.

In all seriousness though enjoy it while you can. It’s probably not an opportunity you’ll ever get again, so look at the positives, enjoy the quality time and don’t sweat the small stuff. You’ve got this!

I'm going to listen to my CDs in alphabetical (not strictly, strictly) order.

I split my music into three sections: Classical; Jazz; Popular etc.

I'm starting with the Pop etc. section.

My self-imposed rule is that i will listen to each CD, no skipping anything.

So, first off and currently playing is A Guy Called Gerald's Essence. Released in 2000 and probably played no more than once since i bought it (nothing approaching his best-known, by me, release Voodoo Ray).

Once I've got through the Pop etc. section, I'll do Classical and finally Jazz.

And once I've done that, I'm going to move onto my LPs. This time from left to right as they are in no particular order. Again same rule: all albums to be played.

Once that's completed, i'm moving onto my LPs that are downstairs, including 12" singles, again from left to right.

I don't have a massive collection but should keep me busy for a bit.

Best wishes, Peter

PS next to go on is Ame Sonar Kollektiv and sounds pretty good....

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back